4.7L bellhousing bolt pattern

-

67moparfan

Reaction score
hi, sorry for my 1st post being a question...

I have been reading and found the 4.7L (from 2000 Dakota) has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the LA engine...does anyone know if this is true?

I had a 2000 Dakota, was rear-ended, I saved the engine/trans with all accessories/computers etc...would like to put it in my 74 Duster but use the 904 trans and megasquirt engine management.

I just need to know if the bell housing bolt pattern is the same.

thanks for your time!!

JFA

No clue but I can attest to one thing. With the 4.7's craptasstic reputation for gas mileage, you can probably get better from an LA360, and no doubt from a 318.

hi, sorry for my 1st post being a question...

I have been reading and found the 4.7L (from 2000 Dakota) has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the LA engine...does anyone know if this is true?

I had a 2000 Dakota, was rear-ended, I saved the engine/trans with all accessories/computers etc...would like to put it in my 74 Duster but use the 904 trans and megasquirt engine management.

I just need to know if the bell housing bolt pattern is the same.

thanks for your time!!

JFA
Use the pcm from the dakota and you can run the O/D trans with the 4.7 But they are notorious for being ticking time bombs.

No clue but I can attest to one thing. With the 4.7's craptasstic reputation for gas mileage, you can probably get better from an LA360, and no doubt from a 318.

I've never had one, but I have friends who do and they claim the gas mileage is fantastic. Some links for info and the claim is that the bellhousing is similar.

<LI itxtvisited="1">A/LA/Modern Hemi Pattern - 1950s-1967 Semi-hemi A-series 241, 260, 270, Plymouth A-series 277, 301, 303, 313, 318, Red Ram A-series 326, LA Engine 273, 318('66), 340, 360, 238ci(3.9 LA) aftermarket W2 program, aftermarket 408, Magnum ('92+) 5.2L, 5.9L, 3.9L Magnum, 8.0L V10, 8.3 V10, 8.4 V10, 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8, 5.7L V8, 6.1L V8, 2.8L CRD Turbo Diesel

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/47.html
http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/117404-enginetransmission-bell-housings/

thanks for the replies, while I appreciate everyone has an opinion on the 4.7 and what they think is the best engine out there, I just wanted to know if the 4.7 would bolt to a 904.

thanks Gryzynx, that is one of the pages I found that says it is the same, just thought maybe someone here actually had done it, or at least tried to bolt it all together.

johnparts, the only reason I was thinking the megasquirt is so I dont have to mod the trans tunnel area to fit the big Dakota trans, and I would still have to run the TCM for the trans...although it would be nice to have that over-drive.
And I could tune the engine myself and not worry about finding the proper PCM to not set the check engine light.

my truck only had 54k miles on it in 10years, never had a problem with it, as we all know anything can happen at anytime though.

I've never had one, but I have friends who do and they claim the gas mileage is fantastic.

Well, it ain't. When I worked for the local Chrysler dealer, that was the number one complaint. Poor fuel mileage. There were also several TSBs issued, so, Chrysler was aware of the problem. ....and to the OP, I never said the 4.7 wasn't a good engine. They are ok. It's just that a properly prepared small block will get better mileage. What I'm interested in is how you're gonna get the computer system for the 4.7 to work with a 904. heck, I'd use the A500 even with the floorpan mods required. Overdrive would be cool.

Well, it ain't. When I worked for the local Chrysler dealer, that was the number one complaint. Poor fuel mileage. There were also several TSBs issued, so, Chrysler was aware of the problem. ....and to the OP, I never said the 4.7 wasn't a good engine. They are ok. It's just that a properly prepared small block will get better mileage. What I'm interested in is how you're gonna get the computer system for the 4.7 to work with a 904. heck, I'd use the A500 even with the floorpan mods required. Overdrive would be cool.

I didnt say you said good or bad...I just happen to have a known good 4.7 here and think it will work well in my Duster, and I plan on using a "megasquirt" engine management system not the OEM one...thats why I want to use the 904 IF it will bolt to the 4.7.

my Dakota got about 15mpg in city and 21mpg traveling...its a truck, I dont understand why someone would buy a truck and then complain about mpg...my 06 Cummins gets 17mpg with a programmer and driving like I stole it all the time...I dont complain (its the Dakota's replacement).

same thing for my Duster, I'm not building/driving it for mpg, thats why I have a Honda.

Hum... That's odd Rob as I have a 2002 Dak with the 4.7 and it gets fantastic fuel mileage for a v8 truck. Never gets less than 16 mpg when I'm hammering on it and if I set the cruise at 65 down the hwy. it'll pull 21-23 mpg. Much better than my 93 Dak did with the 318. It never got better then 16 down the hwy. The 02 weighs a couple hundred lbs. more to boot.

As for the OP's question of are they the same bolt pattern, I'm not positive but I have heard they are. Is there any way you can take a picture of either the back of the engine or front of the trans. and post it? I think I could verify it from a picture.

hi, I'll try to get it out, I have a 904 trans at my in-laws house, I just need to go get it and try to bolt it up...then figure out the flex-plate/torque converter to use.

right now the stock trans is still bolted to the 4.7

**not sure what happened to my other post before this one...not showing up**

no, haven't measured that yet, I'm sure I can make it fit (I hope).
I think the steering gear box will be my biggest problem, but I have the ps rack/hose/pump from the Dakota as well.

i also have a 4.7L in a 5 speed 4x4 quad dakota

about 15/16 mpg is the norm. Highway miles with cruise control i can get it to about 19/20 mpg. Water in the oil and the squealing serp belt are two issues with the 4.7L.
IMG_0025.jpg

-
Back