4 speed conversion questions

-

Sgt Mopar

Reaction score
I am changing my 70 dart w/ 73' 340 motor to a 4 speed. I was wondering what year trans. would fit. I had found a trans. (w/ driveshaft)with the ball and trunion and heard that was 65' and prior. will this fit my car without having to modify it to work? Just not sure what are the best years to look for. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Tail: C-95658-L
C-95639U
$(KGrHqF,!mEE2D8Cu7CEBNvfruufk!~~_14.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!h4E2JCqKde5BNvfrlVQdw~~_14.JPG

I'd stay away from the B & T set-up. Any 833 23 spline would work, the bell housing would be the difference.

ya seems like the B & T may be a bad idea, I will check out the links. Thanks!

with the price of gas a nice overdrive 4 speed out of a late model F-body could be a good idea, same as an A-body 4 speed just has a nice MPG boosting overdrive 4th gear

There are several sellers on Ebay with surplus, low cost, racing drive-shafts. I bought an NOS, Southland Racing - NASCAR, 2.5" steel, shaft, (powder coated white for visibility), cut and welded to my request with Chrysler U-joints for under $200.. including shipping. Still holding up fine behind my 500 HP RB engine and 4-speed trans.

I installed an 833OD trans behind my stout 440 and love the economy and performance. Check out Southwest Speed drive shafts on Ebay. After 2 years, my custom built shaft works great and cost well under $200.

Appreciate all the help guys. Found an OD trans. that I think will work better for me. Won't be doing alot of racing, mostly cruising around. Thanks again!

-
Back