4 speed in A-body

-

rebuilder67

Reaction score
Hey Guy's (experts), I bought a 1970 A833 4 spd that has a Hurst "slip in" shift stick (no bolts)... how do I get that shift stick out of the shifter assem? I can't find much on the net about the removal other than I hear it has clips on the sides and I have to slide feeler gauges down each side and use a punch from the bottom to get it out?

Have also heard there is a rubber grommet with tabs in there and it needs to be forced out from the bottom with a punch.

Appreciate any instruction on this stick removal...

Thanks, D.

It might be easier for now to disconnect the linkage and remove the shifter assembly off the side of the trans. It is only held on with two bolts and then mess with the handle out of the car.

You heard right. Slide a feeler gauge down each side of the handle, between the handle and mechanism. Once they're down as far as they'll go (at least half way even on a long feeler gauge) the handle should pull out. It's easier to do with the handle attached to the transmission, otherwise you might have to clamp the shifter in something.

If the handle has been in there forever, it may take some extra motivation.

You heard right. Slide a feeler gauge down each side of the handle, between the handle and mechanism. Once they're down as far as they'll go (at least half way even on a long feeler gauge) the handle should pull out. It's easier to do with the handle attached to the transmission, otherwise you might have to clamp the shifter in something.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions 72bluNblu. Appreciate the help.

D.

Soak the crap out of it with Krol or PB blaster.
Once you slide a feeler gauges down both sides.
Slightly push the tabs out on both sides with a tiny screwdriver.
It will pop right out.

It can be a real PITA but I got mine out the same way as stated above with the feeler gauge.....

I must say that I'm in 100% agreement with him.

You do basically the same procedure in reverse when putting the handle back in. I did mine with the shifter mounted to the trans and the trans in the car. Much easier! You can't use to much lube!

Curt Rees

.010 feeler gauge and a little wiggle of the shifter handle worked for me ! Just make sure the feeler gauge is centered with the handle

Here's a pic of the clamps that you're trying to get the shifter handle past....

Put the assembly in a vise and as mentioned, use 2 long feeler gauges or very thin strips of metal to release the handle.....

The pics of those clips are very helpful. Thank ALL you guys very much.

Much appreciated. This is a great forum.

D.

-
Back