4 speed shifter identification

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tried to identify the shifter for my 4 speed OD. Reverse is engaged by lifting prior to moving to first position. Says Hurst. Originally thought it might be Inland. Anyone have any input?

Read what you wrote, if I gave you that as a description, what would you say?
I'll let someone else flame you, I haven't gotten over doing a "Del" on someone last week . lol

Read what you wrote, if I gave you that as a description, what would you say?
I'll let someone else flame you, I haven't gotten over doing a "Del" on someone last week . lol
OK so it's a Hurst shifter. Not a common shift pattern. Inland was bad mouthed for their reverse lockout.

Based on the criticism received would like to rephrase the question. I have a Hurst shifter linked to an OD 4 speed with an unusual shift pattern. To obtain reverse, you lift and move to first gear location. Can anyone provide details on this shifter? Jeff

Sounds like you have a Super Shifter III. You are not pushing the lever down and putting it in first. Pushing that handle down allows you to access the reverse gate. With the handle up, you can’t get to reverse.

Pic attached. I was incorrect saying this was a Hurst shifter. Was thinking of my replacement. Was assuming this was an Inland based on reverse lockout.
P1060497.JPG

Sounds like you have a Super Shifter III. You are not pushing the lever down and putting it in first. Pushing that handle down allows you to access the reverse gate. With the handle up, you can’t get to reverse.
No it's definitely lift for reverse. There is no down.

I should remove the boot and see if it's typical stem connection as I have seen for Inland.

Can you post a picture of the entire shifter? Looks like a factory 833 O/D shifter

It's a factory shifter made by Hurst. I have one JUST like it bolted to the A833OD in my rat truck behind a 56 331 Hemi. All of them were Hurst AFAIK. I've never seen one that wasn't. That said, when someone asks for a picture of the entire shifter, you give them from the floor up. How about a shot of the mechanism that's bolted to the side of the transmission. THAT is the shifter. All we've seen so far is the shifter handle, which tells us not one damn thing.

It's a factory shifter made by Hurst. I have one JUST like it bolted to the A833OD in my rat truck behind a 56 331 Hemi. All of them were Hurst AFAIK. I've never seen one that wasn't. That said, when someone asks for a picture of the entire shifter, you give them from the floor up. How about a shot of the mechanism that's bolted to the side of the transmission. THAT is the shifter. All we've seen so far is the shifter handle, which tells us not one damn thing.
I understand your comment but based on pic of shifter and especially shift pattern was confident someone out there would recognize it for what it was. Was not prepared to put car on rack to take pic of mechanism. If pic of mechanism was requested I would have thanked everyone for their input and dropped the subject. However I do thank you for your and everyone's input on the matter and consider it closed. Regards, Jeff

There was an Inland that looks a lot like the Hurst mechanism. You have to look at the mechanism to know whether it is a Hurst or Inland, but I'm betting Inland with the lift for reverse.

There was an Inland that looks a lot like the Hurst mechanism. You have to look at the mechanism to know whether it is a Hurst or Inland, but I'm betting Inland with the lift for reverse.
Thanks for the response Jim. Your input is sincerely appreciated. Jeff

-
Back