4 speed swap

-
that their dyad clutch? If that is, it sure is a pretty penny spent. I'm curious how it feels with the mechanical clutch linkage. Now hurry up! :d

edit: Whew...ran the p# and it's their dual friction. Still curious how it feels and engages.

x2

I made some progress theres to many pedals in the floor now also pulled the leaking sliping 904 trans.The fluid was all burn and the auto was sliping really bad so the 4 speed is going in sooner then I thought.

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

Be sure to keep us posted on the swap. With lots of pictures.

You slacking man got my flywheel clutch setup bolted up almost ready for the bell and trans but the driveline placed is closed sunday so the drive chaft will have to wait.pic will be posted sunday.

I am definitly slacking. I plan on putting in a little time on the swap tomorrow. Going to try and finish up the hump and get the pedals in. Pictures will follow.

You may have already done this, but make sure you pull the side cover and take a quick look at the gears and synchros. Mine will go in all the gears ( NOT RUNNIG YET), but I looked inside anyway and I have a couple synchros worn and 3rd and 4th gear are chewed up pretty bad. Somebody couldn't speed shift very well. So I am going to have to spend so $ on iternal as well. Good luck and I hope yours goes a little smoother than mine.

Well we put the clutch setup in bell housing in and went and put the trans in was tighting the trans to the housing and the housing cracked.

That sounds like my luck. Sorry to hear that. I will keep an eye out for one.

Well we put the clutch setup in bell housing in and went and put the trans in was tighting the trans to the housing and the housing cracked.

We need some pics.
Where did it crack?
The trans should have butted up to the bellhousing before you put the bolts in.
Never try to suck the trans to the bellhousing unless it goes really easily.
If it starts going hard, STOP.
I think either you don't have enough room in your crankshaft for the input shaft or the clutch alignment is wrong. You did use an alignment tool when you put the clutch on the flywheel...... right?
Do you have a FSM?

We need some pics.
Where did it crack?
The trans should have butted up to the bellhousing before you put the bolts in.
Never try to suck the trans to the bellhousing unless it goes really easily.
If it starts going hard, STOP.
I think either you don't have enough room in your crankshaft for the input shaft or the clutch alignment is wrong. You did use an alignment tool when you put the clutch on the flywheel...... right?
Do you have a FSM?

I have to pull the housing off before I get some pics but I just took a break from it.

fsm? Four speed manual.

Factory Service Manual

The housing should have never cracked. Seems to me that things were not lined up. I meantioned a few times in one of the op's posts to check the depth of the crank hole and to check the housing run out. One or both were most likely not checked. My $.02.

The shaft did not bottom out on the crank when we pressed in piolt shaft bearing it was slightly to larger and rolled the edges of the bearing slightly and the input shaft did not slide fully in and it stresses the housing when we tightened the trans to the housing and cracked it.I am going got the bearing that gos in the larger hole and have the housing welded.

Augh, that sucks to hear. Little set backs make these things a bit less fun. It's always nice being able to walk away to breathe a little and then tackle it again later.

The magnum roller bearing worked out real well for my auto crank. Don't bother ordering that part from brewers just go down to your local parts store NATIONAL Part # FC69907

Make sure when you use the clutch alignment tool to align everything that it pulls out super easy. Like no force at all to pull it out. If it drags at all pulling it out start over. Its a lot easier than lifting the trans up a billion times and cursing all day long. If you get the clutch alignment tool to pull out with no resistance the transmission will go on like butter. If there is any resistance at all you will fight it for hours.

Obviously you learned not to force the bellhousing on, that is a common mistake the first time you do it. The trans should slide all the way on and butt up against the block, then you can put the bolts in.

Fix that ear and you'll be good to go.:burnout:

Go a new bearing seems to fit 100 times better.Got the bellhousing fixed and mounted lifted the tranny up and almost placed it got cold and dark so we quit for the night.

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

Got the trans fully mounted and the shifter.

All thats left

Hook shifter linkages up
get driveshaft fixed
Hook the clutch rod up
Bolt up starter
oil change on engine
New carpet
redo the heater box
Mount dash

Lookin at the pictures from your last post, the one showing the hole you cut in the floor. I hope you didn't cut thru the trans xmember floor support and removed it. I don't see it in the pic. The shifter is mounted behind the trans floor support xmember. Hope yours looks like this!!!

Attachments

• Handle3.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 362
Lookin at the pictures from your last post, the one showing the hole you cut in the floor. I hope you didn't cut thru the trans xmember floor support and removed it. I don't see it in the pic. The shifter is mounted behind the trans floor support xmember. Hope yours looks like this!!!

It does

Its running

Got the car running about 9 last night fired it bit tunned alittle bit and drove it rides good and you can really feel that cam.Now all is my dad has to teach me how to drive a 4 speed.

-
Back