4" to 4.5"

-

nico06

Reaction score
i have a barracuda 68 with original front disc kelsey 4" bolt pattern i want to change to 4.5" bolt pattern does somebody did it ? could you help me ?

THANK YOU

i have a barracuda 68 with original front disc kelsey 4" bolt pattern i want to change to 4.5" bolt pattern does somebody did it ? could you help me ?

THANK YOU

Sure, I have done it a few times. Most recently, I put 75 Duster front discs on my 68, and need everything but the lower control arms from the 73-76 set up.

I bought a set of Moser axles for the rear, and re-drilled my drums. Much easier than re-drilling your current axles. Hope that helps.

There are a few methods you can implement to go from the 4" bc to 4.5". For the front you can choose one of these:
1) As already stated you can find a 73-76 A-body donor car and swap the the spindles, UCAs, rotors and calipers onto your car.
2) Buy a set of wheel adapters, about 40 dollars from Summit Racing. I highly recommend against this but it is an option.
3) Buy a set of 67 Mustang rotors and have a machine shop rework them to work with your existing spindles and calipers. There`s a thread here on FABO outlining this mod.

The best method for a permanent change to 4.5" bc is to find a 73-76 donor car.

For the rear you can send your axles and drums and have them redrilled or as mentioned buy new axles and just have the drums redrilled. Another facet of this mod would be to seek out the later model backing plates and go with a 2.25" drum instead of the 1.75". Some people have gone a step further and found disc set-ups from late model Jeeps and modified them to work. Last, there are several aftermarket brake sets available if you want to spend the money.

I had Moser redrill mine. They added, half inch by three inch screw in studs with lock washers. If they are too long, cut them down to fit. Very reasonable. They are in Indiana. I made an early morning appointment, drove up, and they were done in an hour.

They can also redrill your rear axles and drums.
Depends on what you want to do with your car. It can get complicated, with the axle and brake combinations that are available.

The SBP A bodies are a real pain.

http://www.moserengineering.com/moser/shop-services/

Hotrodsusa once carried a Wilwood kit for discs to discs. They may still have them. (?) Remember though, any of the new kits are going to be probably 3-4 times the expense of the alternatives described here.

Hotrodsusa once carried a Wilwood kit for discs to discs. They may still have them. (?) Remember though, any of the new kits are going to be probably 3-4 times the expense of the alternatives described here.

i understand but in france it 's hard to find a 73 or74 or they are expensive so the difference for me is small may be it's better to buy a new one

i will shake to wilwood

thank you

Cheapest and easiest way is to have them redrilled to 4.5". Sent mine to Moser.

Attachments

• Dscn1087.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 314
  • Dscn1086.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 334
  • Dscn1088.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 318
because i am in france you can't help me !!

I`ll be glad to help you. What I meant by that comment is that since you are in France, you don`t have junkyards that have an abundance of 73-76 A-bodies to salvage parts from. Not only that but when buying new parts, many companies will not ship abroad.

Cheapest and easiest way is to have them redrilled to 4.5". Sent mine to Moser.

Mark, how long ago was that done? 2006? I contacted Moser about doing a set for me about 3 years ago. They said that they no longer do that modification due to the fact that the machine they used to do it, had been replaced by another (more money making) machine.

Mark, how long ago was that done? 2006? I contacted Moser about doing a set for me about 3 years ago. They said that they no longer do that modification due to the fact that the machine they used to do it, had been replaced by another (more money making) machine.

Yep, date stamp on pics, 4/2006

Nico06, list your location with your avatar and that will help people direct you when advising.

ok i did it !

i found something for the break doctordiff as a kit not so bad and not very expensive i am waiting for more information

somebody know?

it looks ok but does is go on the original spinkle xithout any more change ?

They will not fit disc brake spindles. They only fit drum spindles.
From what I have heard, drum spindles are not difficult to locate.

Just an option. If you can find the spindles, I believe the kit has everything else.

ok i understand 1 i have to look for a kit who fit disc spindles or find a drum spindles !!

thanks

-
Back