400 hp 318 vs 408 vs 440 BB

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
Okay well me and a shop buddy are having debates over which engine to slap into my dart.

I originally started going with a 408...But then a 440 BB sounded a little more nice into a Dart that exterior will look close to a GSS Hemi Dart.

Now my buddy is too interested with messing with a 318 build, the one on that magazine which I forgot the name of, where you put in some 318 magnum heads and port the thing out etc...

Here are the key points...

I wont have to pay for no machine work, nor much of the build itself only for parts new or used.

Car wont be my daily driver...just my fun machine...and escape horse to Mexico if I ever have to ha. ha. ha.

That said...which engine would you try out in a 68 dart 4 speed? a cheap to make super 400hp 318 (which friend says it will be quick, and still not too bad in gas as the 440) the 408 stroker or a nicely built 440? I myself love the roar of a Big Block...

A worked 318 may be better on gas, but it still isn't going to be a peach.
IF you have a big block and your looking for a fun street car, that is the way I'd go even over a stroker S/B. for the very reason Terry stated. The 400 can go to a 451 easy or even a 500 without batting an eye.

Torque! And plenty of it will make the car.

High compression ported aluminum head roller cam 360. 450 HP easy but still not gigantic enough to be hopeless with gas mileage and light enough to let your Dart handle nicely if you decide to hit the twisties.

Isn't there a new LA short block kit that's like 473 CI?
Small block weight silly torque.

YEa, now where did I see that advertisement? In a mag. I think INDY is doing it.

big block...once you go for a ride in a big block a body you'll understand why

I say build a LA Roller Cam 318/360.....lots of fun and very little dough $.

Turbocharging a Small Block would make the best of all the worlds.....Big Block horsepower and torque, small block gas mileage, small block-like weight advantage/handling, cheaper parts when replacement/upgrade comes up.

Costs a little bit more to setup a turbo power plant, but thats why I recommend sticking with the small block,.....junk yards everywhere have plenty of core parts.

(ohhh and another cool tid-bit.....all small blocks after 1973 come with IDEAL COMPRESSION RATIO from the factory for forced induction)

I say build a LA Roller Cam 318/360.....lots of fun and very little dough $.

Turbocharging a Small Block would make the best of all the worlds.....Big Block horsepower and torque, small block gas mileage, small block-like weight advantage/handling, cheaper parts when replacement/upgrade comes up.

Costs a little bit more to setup a turbo power plant, but thats why I recommend sticking with the small block,.....junk yards everywhere have plenty of core parts.

(ohhh and another cool tid-bit.....all small blocks after 1973 come with IDEAL COMPRESSION RATIO from the factory for forced induction)

very good point there...i wasnt even thinking of forced induction when i said big block...you should check out the turbo forums, theres a whole section on there for mopars, and with the right turbo setup you can have a real kick in the pants motor that is very streetable...something to look into if you have a little extra dough and time to fabricate

well here is my opinion for what its worth...

first off there is nothing like driving a big block a-body. i don't care what kind of small block you have. there is just nothing like a big block in these cars. yes you can stroke a small block but you can also stroke that big block. on the street you want tq. and more cubes will give that to you. and don't listen to that stupid myth about a big block a-body can only go in a straight line. they handle fine with the proper selection of parts. which in most cases your replacing any way (if your smart) when putting more power in a car.

but if you are already set up for a small block and have some of the parts and want to keep costs down then go with the 360/408 build. to me the 318 is just a waste of time and money. yes you can get 400hp from it but its just as easy to get that and more from a stock stroke 360. if you go 408 then 450 hp and a ton of tq will be easy to achieve.

A worked 318 may be better on gas, but it still isn't going to be a peach.
IF you have a big block and your looking for a fun street car, that is the way I'd go even over a stroker S/B. for the very reason Terry stated. The 400 can go to a 451 easy or even a 500 without batting an eye.

Torque! And plenty of it will make the car.

That's what I tell my friend but the awe of him never had done a 318 like that and the wonder of how cheap he can build them and maybe even market them and sell them has him blocked from my own dreams of a nice BB haha

Don't forget to consider a stroked to 452 cubes 400 BB.

Terry

Havnt read much on 400's not many mention them, sounds great! What are the advantages of this over the 440? will it make 5 mpg haha what will a streetable build do on gas? what about stock? I'll probably only ride it on weekends or once a week to school and such...maybe even more if the cash is there!

German, what is your budget and what is your ET for getting it running?

Well I had about 2300 mulas, but I saw a little pickup truck I've always had a heart for, the Datsun 620! It's a 77 Datsun 620 King Cab...got it for 500, was supposed to be a running truck being sold for 1800...but owner realized someone got into the yard he rented and stripped some of his cars including the 620...I have evreything I need for it to run except tuneup stuff and an electric fan...

I probably have 1000 right now to see if I can find once in a long time good deal. There is a man over here selling like 5 440's 2 of them are 69 casting, complete carb to oil pan for 500 each. Has a 400 complete engine running but with low oil pressure for 400$ Then he has a 8 3/4 for a b body with maybe a sure grip(posi which ever it is) that I can shorten for free. for 300. Is this a good dealio or what? What do you think?

Time don't matter, I got that pickup to start working on the dart for once, I'll have plenty now.

well here is my opinion for what its worth...

first off there is nothing like driving a big block a-body. i don't care what kind of small block you have. there is just nothing like a big block in these cars. yes you can stroke a small block but you can also stroke that big block. on the street you want tq. and more cubes will give that to you. and don't listen to that stupid myth about a big block a-body can only go in a straight line. they handle fine with the proper selection of parts. which in most cases your replacing any way (if your smart) when putting more power in a car.

but if you are already set up for a small block and have some of the parts and want to keep costs down then go with the 360/408 build. to me the 318 is just a waste of time and money. yes you can get 400hp from it but its just as easy to get that and more from a stock stroke 360. if you go 408 then 450 hp and a ton of tq will be easy to achieve.

Nice! yes I hear that comment a lot about them not turning well.
All I have is a 360 dissasempled, left it outside for it to rust and harden up a bit haha. Not sure if I will use it...might build a robot out of it XD

Thanks for your opinion.

Lets say all 3 of your choices put out exactly 400hp. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if I am not mistaken, the 440 will make more torque than the 408 which would make more torque than the 318 given the equal hp.

Lets say all 3 of your choices put out exactly 400hp. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if I am not mistaken, the 440 will make more torque than the 408 which would make more torque than the 318 given the equal hp.

Yes I would say that is good reasoning haha
So we must now take in consideration other things like drivability and handling
price maybe but....nah! haha

How well it fits...you are very limited to headers wtih a BB in a A body I believe without having to cut your walls a bit, Ive seen one where only the last pipes need to go through your side walls. Then gas mileage will drop a lot but...if its not a grocery getter who cares right? XD

I've heard that the weight distribution is not as good with the big blocks because of the heavier block, but I am not speaking from first hand experience so maybe a BB owner can speak on this.

-
Back