400 Hp ( Street 318 ) Build !

-

SS Lancer

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor go on ebay and spend $10 and get this magazine.
Your welcome !!!
PS - this is a STREET MOTOR also using stock pistons and (302 casting)
Cyl heads milled 0.050 reducing chambers to 52cc.
Camshaft Comp Extreme 268
The heads had some porting performed also , all info incuded in article and final results were 406 HP @ 5.900 .

( NOV-2003 ) On magazine

20201206_055601.jpg

20201206_055711.jpg

20201206_055637.jpg

20201206_055827.jpg

Last edited:
Yes sir !!
They also used a 4150 for some figures also but still impressive for what's used.
I like them thermoquads. I don't know if it's just the uniqueness of them or that they was what originally came on them but I just love them.

I also think Dulcich had quite a bit more work in the heads than they let on.

The unofficial story I heard was the heads had tons of work done to them, and the dyno session actually got cut short because they started leaking in a few ports.

In other words....... an interesting proof of concept....... but not at all a realistic approach if you’re looking for any type of reliability.

The question for me would be..... if you replaced the heads with something more conservatively ported(as in reliable)....... how much different with the power be?

The unofficial story I heard was the heads had tons of work done to them, and the dyno session actually got cut short because they started leaking in a few ports.

In other words....... an interesting proof of concept....... but not at all a realistic approach if you’re looking for any type of reliability.

The question for me would be..... if you replaced the heads with something more conservatively ported(as in reliable)....... how much different with the power be?
if you went with less extreme porting and lost let's say 50hp a 350 hp 318 is still impressive imo.

And didn't they spray it..and it BLEW-UP!!..so much for that..

You can get to 275+ horse with the right teen, intake, 4 barrel, and mild cam. A horse/cube with flat tops and a rumbly cam. With a little porting and headers even more. Teens respond well to modifications. (like most mild engines do) Nothing wrong with a 300 horse 318. Pretty darned snappy in a A body. More power= more fun.

Last edited:
Toolmanmike Add to that 300HP 318 a set of 3.73 gears with a sure grip and a built A999 or A500 42RH with numerically lower 1st gear in a 3,000 lb A body that's quite a fun combo.

I have about 325hp in my 07 mustang GT with 3.55s and a 5 speed. The car weighs about 3,800 lbs I believe, and it ain't no slouch. I imagine the combo above would be just as much fun.

My opinion but I think sometimes people reach a point with building engines that eventually they get stuffed with too much cam and too much compression they just arent livable on the street or even enjoyable anymore. Idle like ****, and only good at WOT. Personally I love decent power, a little chop to the idle, but something that's for the most part "civilized" on the street.

Again my opinion, I like something with power that can idle at a stoplight without sounding like its gonna stall. I like stuff that's fast and user friendly. Not something you got to beat with a whip just to get it out of the garage.

Toolmanmike Add to that 300HP 318 a set of 3.73 gears with a sure grip and a built A999 or A500 42RH with numerically lower 1st gear in a 3,000 lb A body that's quite a fun combo.

I have about 325hp in my 07 mustang GT with 3.55s and a 5 speed. The car weighs about 3,800 lbs I believe, and it ain't no slouch. I imagine the combo above would be just as much fun.

My opinion but I think sometimes people reach a point with building engines that eventually they get stuffed with too much cam and too much compression they just arent livable on the street or even enjoyable anymore. Idle like ****, and only good at WOT. Personally I love decent power, a little chop to the idle, but something that's for the most part "civilized" on the street.

Again my opinion, I like something with power that can idle at a stoplight without sounding like its gonna stall. I like stuff that's fast and user friendly. Not something you got to beat with a whip just to get it out of the garage.
Spot on!

I feel like he said that himself when asked about in on one of those Motortrend shows.

Toolmanmike I am starting on my own recipe for one of these for my kids car. Gonna start with the "free eighteen" since a buddy gave me a a free 318 short block. Heres what I got so far parts wise. I think this recipe is heading in the right direction.

1 free eighteen shortblock
2 weiand stealth 8022 intske
3 ARP headbolts
4 eddy 600 w elect choke
5 1969 340 air cleaner
6 1968 340 exhaust manifolds
7 aluminum oil filter adaptor
8 melling SPD-22 camshaft (stock 68 340 cam)
9 reconditioned #302s (rock auto)
10 stock 340 fuel pump
11cloyes double roller timing chain
12 cloyes 3.9V6 chain tensioner
13 summit billet steel balancer
14 felpro permatorque head gaskets .040"
15 water pump
16 lifters
17 all gaskets and seals
18 mopar electronic distributor
19 HEI conversion plate
20 brass core plug kit
21 Intermediate shaft bushing
22 misc odds n ends

I still need an oil pump, oil pan, center sump pickup tube, KB167s, rings, rod, main, cam bearings, and scat or eagle forged I beam rods. And the block machinework.

Reason for wanting the new rods is by the time you recondition the old cast rods and add new ARP bolts, you would have spent less on brand new forgings.

Like... a OOTB set of replacement iron heads or Edelbrock heads.

There's a few Dulcich 400 hp 318 recipes all seem to need 200-220 cfm, air gap 750, headers, 10:1 cr, 275-285 cam.
there's been a stock magnum head one, EQ and 425 hp with ported EQ and ported J heads with 2.02.

Post 27 magazine 318 articles, don't have the J head one though.

Magazine Builds

I think sometimes people reach a point with building engines that eventually they get stuffed with too much cam and too much compression they just arent livable on the street or even enjoyable anymore. Idle like ****, and only good at WOT. Personally I love decent power, a little chop to the idle, but something that's for the most part "civilized" on the street..

X2 !!

The list of overstated HP levels from those magazines is LONG.

Stock 340, stock x heads with an air gap and an xe268h making 400hp... sure it does
the boosted engine making 750+ and running 122mph in a 3400# A body... Just a little high there

Ridiculous

There's a few Dulcich 400 hp 318 recipes all seem to need 200-220 cfm, air gap 750, headers, 10:1 cr, 275-285 cam.

Magazine Builds
That’s about right for the math portion. Good balance. For a street engine. While it could be done with less air flow, you would need more duration to allow for cylinder filling of the air & fuel. And then the operating rpm range would go up. Not exactly great for the street.

Id like to see a head shoot out between the “Stock Replacement” type of head on builds like this.

Heads for the OP were 302’s with 2.02/1.60, fully ported, and milled to 52cc, for 10:1cr.

73D955D1-C5B9-486F-A9C5-0389FB442D84.jpeg

Why limit it to factory heads? Slap some Trick Flows on it. 400 HP from a 318 is gonna be tough to do with factory iron heads. I'm sure it can be done.....maybe they did it. Or.......a happy dyno?

My thing is, I always question articles like this because they have sponsors to answer to. I want independent, non biased testing.

-
Back