400 stroker rookie

-
View attachment 1715246558 Not much to update but I did change Direction. For those people that know me it's no surprise . So bottom end is still the same, 400/499 but I did get the tf270 and now going to a solid lift and still planning on spraying a little. My question is what rockers ( t&d and jessle are sweet ) but any other good chooses?
Also here is a cam I'm looking at

You might want to make a couple of passes before shelling out the $$ for a nitrous set up. Harder to hook these strokers up !

High guys, im kinda new to mopars and I picked up a clean body 1972 swinger and building a complete drivetrain for it. I've started with a 400 block and bought a stroker kit for it, so my question is how is my engine combo so far
400 block, 499 stroker kit from Mancini Racing
girdle kit with alum main caps and everything arp
12.1 compression ( e-85 ) fuel
Edelbrock Max wedge heads
1.6 rockers
link bar lifters
roller cam 260/264 dur,619/624 ( with 1.6 )
lobe sep 109, this is for street and more track car with small shot
4500 indy intake with holley 4500 sniper and dual sync distributor
looking to make around 700hp so what do you think ? thanks
I just did what your about to. Built a pump gas 511 with 11.24:1 compression and it will run on pump gas with no signs of detonation using the MW victor head cnc'd buy Hughes engines. Solid flat tappet with 270*@50 ans .644" on intake on a 110. Uses a 1150 Dominator thats as dosile as a street 600 holley. I cant say it falls on its face with these heads and cam by any means.

You might want to make a couple of passes before shelling out the $$ for a nitrous set up. Harder to hook these strokers up !
The nitrous is just for " I don't think so " cases lol. I have a feeling that the rear suspension is going to be the fun part.

I just did what your about to. Built a pump gas 511 with 11.24:1 compression and it will run on pump gas with no signs of detonation using the MW victor head cnc'd buy Hughes engines. Solid flat tappet with 270*@50 ans .644" on intake on a 110. Uses a 1150 Dominator thats as dosile as a street 600 holley. I cant say it falls on its face with these heads and cam by any means.
I sold off the heads and got Trick Flows. Can't say it was cheaper than having the Edle mw ported ( loss on selling the heads ) but I think I will be happy with tf's

I sold off the heads and got Trick Flows. Can't say it was cheaper than having the Edle mw ported ( loss on selling the heads ) but I think I will be happy with tf's
Yep. If the TF270's would have been availably that would have been the direction i would have taken. TF240's would be enough as well. A vid with the MW Victors and straight 110 race fuel which it didnt like too well.

Yep. If the TF270's would have been availably that would have been the direction i would have taken. TF240's would be enough as well. A vid with the MW Victors and straight 110 race fuel which it didnt like too well.

From a 20mph roll its capable of 110mph in the 1/8 mile i have marked out. I do have a 5000 8" vert and 4.30 gears some to be 3.73.

From a 20mph roll its capable of 110mph in the 1/8 mile i have marked out. I do have a 5000 8" vert and 4.30 gears some to be 3.73.
Dont know what rockers are available for the TF heads, but i used the Harland Sharp and they were pricey at $1100. Another vid.

Dont know what rockers are available for the TF heads, but i used the Harland Sharp and they were pricey at $1100. Another vid.

With the 5000 stall i still cruise at 180* trans temp in the hottest of summer which is 90*+. Get a good vert like a Dynamic or Ultimate. Dont skimp on the vert. I think with the 3.73 gears i could drive this car most any where.

With the 5000 stall i still cruise at 180* trans temp in the hottest of summer which is 90*+. Get a good vert like a Dynamic or Ultimate. Dont skimp on the vert. I think with the 3.73 gears i could drive this car most any where.
What a beautiful car and awesome video. As far as the vert I'm not real sure on company's. I've had ptc, Neil chance and also tci before ( not mopar cars ) but when motor is done then I will look into that.

I'm now using the new M/T ET street R radial. These hook better than any street tire i have used to date and i'v used them all.

What a beautiful car and awesome video. As far as the vert I'm not real sure on company's. I've had ptc, Neil chance and also tci before ( not mopar cars ) but when motor is done then I will look into that.
Thanks. Whated to give ya some examples. Also, Dom@Thumpercarbs builds the best street Dominator carbs that i know of. Works from his garage, but the guy really knows his stuff. I highly recommend him. Thought i knew carbs til i spoke with him.

Well finally got my short block done. I've changed to solid roller and using BAM lifters. As I mentioned above I change direction quite a bit, even changed the car lol. Now it's a 64 dart for drag racing only.

20190315_141616.jpg
20190320_172724.jpg
20190320_172724.jpg
Screenshot_20190218-105520.jpg

Cool man! Forward motion. Excellent.

Who’s main caps are those?

For a rookie Mopar guy, this isn't a rookie build. Mopars don't "need" nitrous like other makes do. You might find yourself with too much for the rear tires. Lots of things in your build don't match up for street duty, either. If I were a "rookie" to Mopar, I would have spent time here before ever spending a dime. IMO, the 451 is perhaps the best rookie stroker combo........and perhaps the best across the board.

For a rookie Mopar guy, this isn't a rookie build. Mopars don't "need" nitrous like other makes do. You might find yourself with too much for the rear tires. Lots of things in your build don't match up for street duty, either. If I were a "rookie" to Mopar, I would have spent time here before ever spending a dime. IMO, the 451 is perhaps the best rookie stroker combo........and perhaps the best across the board.
Well I haven't touched mopars since the late 80s. This car is going to be a lot slower than my last build but don't want to fall asleep racing it either. My lack in knowing mopars is pretty high but do ask question and read alot.If I can't get this car in the high 5s then I will just bracket race. The car has a glide and I'm hoping this will tame the launch of the car. At my age I don't want to spend a lot of time moving up the ladder if you know what I mean lol

Wouldn't the larger compression height on the 470 be better for longer life on the street than the 451? That's why i was leaning towards the 470, and to not really worry about the rod:stroke ratio.

Wouldn't the larger compression height on the 470 be better for longer life on the street than the 451? That's why i was leaning towards the 470, and to not really worry about the rod:stroke ratio.

Splittin hairs, IMO. I don't worry about piston skirts until I get into the oil ring.

Agreed with RRR on that. You can split hairs on every part of any build but the bottom line when you come down to it is, that it is peanuts on all fronts except chasing the money in drag racing on heads up racing levels, maximum full tilt builds only.

Hi guys, so I'm starting on the top end now. Have the 270 heads and ended up getting the Harland Sharp rockers. Have a question and the scrub pattern. Looks like the roller is only making contact on part of the valve. Rockers feel snug ( not tight ) until I go and rotate the motor. Now seems to have little more play in it, normal ?

20190709_071328.jpg

Hi guys, so I'm starting on the top end now. Have the 270 heads and ended up getting the Harland Sharp rockers. Have a question and the scrub pattern. Looks like the roller is only making contact on part of the valve. Rockers feel snug ( not tight ) until I go and rotate the motor. Now seems to have little more play in it, normal ?

View attachment 1715361074

I`d b worried about that too ! Sumpin aint lined up right !

-
Back