400 stroker rookie

-
I`d b worried about that too ! Sumpin aint lined up right !
Ya, I haven't checked the other head yet. I usually check things 2 or 3 times, I'm just missing something on this one

Yes, either the valve tip isn't square or the roller rocker is sitting cocked for some reason.
Thanks for the replay. I just used a straight edge on the valves, 2 different straight edges. Think I need better glasses tho lol. I'm going to check the other side and see what happens, thank you

Thanks for the replay. I just used a straight edge on the valves, 2 different straight edges. Think I need better glasses tho lol. I'm going to check the other side and see what happens, thank you

Could it be the rocker stands are not level, and taper in height ??

With the rockers removed lay the edge of a steel ruler (or similar) along the tops of the valve stems. Even if they're slightly different heights you'll be able to see if the tips are parallel to the straight edge. The same applies if you put the ruler in/along the bottom of rocker shaft recess in the head. If both checks look 'level' then the rocker arm pivot may be bored pissed.
Neil.

Could it be the rocker stands are not level, and taper in height ??
Not to sure what taper height is but I did measure 1 end then the other end.Left end is .597 from valve cover base and other end is .589 . Is there a better way to measure this ?

With the rockers removed lay the edge of a steel ruler (or similar) along the tops of the valve stems. Even if they're slightly different heights you'll be able to see if the tips are parallel to the straight edge. The same applies if you put the ruler in/along the bottom of rocker shaft recess in the head. If both checks look 'level' then the rocker arm pivot may be bored pissed.
Neil.
I've used to different straight edges and wish my eyes was better. I took everything off the rocker shafts and tried with 3 different rockers ( sliding back and forth a Little) and seen most of them fever 1 side. I checked the rocker stands and did come up with end to end difference. Think famous Bob has seen this before

20190711_064143.jpg

Hi guys it’s been a long time since I’ve updated my rookie build. Motor is up and running and as of a few weeks ago and quite happy with it. I’ve also changed vehicles again ( #3 ) and drag only. I sold off the Holley sniper setup and just went to old school msd and a thumper 1050 domi on 100 fuel. Since there is no tracks open I’ve just done some middle of nowhere testing
69314454-5BD0-4169-80FF-231055B306E3.jpeg
2A75DBF4-E34E-4EBE-9EA7-4A9BE745FF32.jpeg

C7C8B96D-A820-4A6D-ACC9-E6D5DD416D9A.jpeg

Hi guys it’s been a long time since I’ve updated my rookie build. Motor is up and running and as of a few weeks ago and quite happy with it. I’ve also changed vehicles again ( #3 ) and drag only. I sold off the Holley sniper setup and just went to old school msd and a thumper 1050 domi on 100 fuel. Since there is no tracks open I’ve just done some middle of nowhere testing View attachment 1715495518View attachment 1715495519

View attachment 1715495520
WHAT DOES ANYBODY THINK OF INDY HEADS FOR BIG BLOCK MOPARS ?? I HAVE 3 400 INCH ENGINES AND 2 440 ENGINES . I LIKE THE 400 THE BEST BUT HAVE NEVER BUILD A FULL ALL OUT HORSEPOWER ENGINE SO LOOKING FOR YOU GUYS TO STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION . I ALSO HAVE A 1967 383 ENGINE 318 AND MANY MORE ENGINES FROM 1984 TO 1988 2.3 TURBO FORDS TURBO TBIRDS TO 1989 CHEVEY IROCS 1989 PONTIAC WS6 FIREBIRD ENGINES AND CARS HAD THEM FOR YEARS IN MY GARAGE AS WELL WANT TO BUILD A 500 INCH 400 ENGINE AND ON HORSPOWER THE SKY IS THE LIMIT JUST WANT TO KNOW YOUR GUYS EXPERIENCE WITH PARTS AND HORSE POWER RESULTS . ALSO HAVE A 3300 LBS 1977 DODGE ASPEN RT SUPER PACK CAR THAT I BOUGHT WHEN I WAS 17TEEN YRS OLD IN 1983 AND WANT TO RESTORE IT BECAUSE OF ALL THE MEMORIES AND BECAUSE THEY DID NOT MAKE MANY OF THEM . MY RT IS A ORIGINAL 4 SPEED STICK CAR BLACK SUN PAINT WITH BLACK INTERIOR . THE BLACK PAINT HAS ALITTLE METAL SPECKS IN IT WITH THE RED AND ORAMGE STRIPS

1977-Dodge-Aspen-RT-1-e1634139171581  2.jpg

1977-dodge-aspen-rt-super-pack-03.jpg

1977-Dodge-Aspen-RT-2-e1634139222291.jpg

Dude... are you taking the piss? and turn off the Caps.

Dude... are you taking the piss? and turn off the Caps.
I HAVE A DISABILITY AND I DONT HAVE FULL USE OF MY HANDS AND TRYING TO CHANGE THE SHIFT KEY IS VERY DIFFICUALT JUST SO YOU KNOW . AND YOU ARE THE 50TH PRESON TO SAY THIS TO ME . SO REALLY WHATS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT UPPER CASE AND LOWER CASE ANY WAY SO JUST FOR YOU AND OTHER PEOPLE LIKE YOU I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO PUT THIS POST ON MY INFO PAGE HAVE A NICE DAY

If your using a computer, you can just press the Caps key once to alternate between upper and lower case.

Because upper case usage is considered yelling.
Do the best you can.
Also don’t get so wound up.
I HAVE A DISABILITY AND I DONT HAVE FULL USE OF MY HANDS AND TRYING TO CHANGE THE SHIFT KEY IS VERY DIFFICUALT JUST SO YOU KNOW . AND YOU ARE THE 50TH PRESON TO SAY THIS TO ME . SO REALLY WHATS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT UPPER CASE AND LOWER CASE ANY WAY SO JUST FOR YOU AND OTHER PEOPLE LIKE YOU I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO PUT THIS POST ON MY INFO PAGE HAVE A NICE DAY

For me, it's not even necessarily the CAPS. It's the lack of punctuation, spelling errors, and run-on sentences. Those, coupled with the CAPS, makes it VERY difficult to read your posts. If people have to put that much effort into understanding what you're trying to say/ask, they generally aren't going to reply. In all honesty, I wish you luck.

Punctuation is what makes reading easiest.
Decent grammar is next. Some replies I read I just skim past and if it is a poster asking a question with ridiculous grammar and spelling, I move on and pay it no mind.

I’ve noticed many non English speaking posters are much better at the English language than some people are that are born and raised here in the USA.

How about giving this bloke a break???
He has already stated he does not have full use of his hands, so punctuation marks may make a job that is difficult for him, harder.
He is on this forum as an enthusiast. Could not think of anything worse than somebody who wants to tinker with cars... but is limited by a disability.

How about we give him the benefit of the doubt? He says he has a disability & neither you nor I know how bad it is or how much it affects his hand movement.

How about we give him the benefit of the doubt? He says he has a disability & neither you nor I know how bad it is or how much it affects his hand movement.
How about you stop the pandering to make yourself feel better. Stop treating the guy like he's a hopeless victim. People with disability's just want to be treated like everyone else, not hopeless basket cases. I'm just treating him like a regular person.
With people like you around no one would ever get out of rehab..
He seems to be able to press every letter on the keyboard unless it's the Caps toggle key, or the Enter key and those two keys are larger than the letter keys.
I can't see any reason why he can't press those keys if he was encouraged to put the effort in.

I typed all this out using a pencil in my mouth, unfortunately like a lot of people have to do.

Well aren't you clever, pencil in mouth & typing!! Clap everyone. I hope the pencil was not removed from another bodily orifice, it sure sounds like it....
'You can't see any reason....'.
That's the problem. You don't know this fellow & neither do I. He could have a birth defect, had an accident or be disabled from serving his country in a war zone, illness, who knows.
You jumped on this fellow as judge & jury; he said in post #87 he had typing difficulties.
I do not pander to anyone, certainly not upstarts like you.
You are a piece of work Bakerlite, or whatever your real name is.

Well aren't you clever, pencil in mouth & typing!! Clap everyone. I hope the pencil was not removed from another bodily orifice, it sure sounds like it....
'You can't see any reason....'.
That's the problem. You don't know this fellow & neither do I. He could have a birth defect, had an accident or be disabled from serving his country in a war zone, illness, who knows.
You jumped on this fellow as judge & jury; he said in post #87 he had typing difficulties.
I do not pander to anyone, certainly not upstarts like you.
You are a piece of work Bakerlite, or whatever your real name is.
I'm simply being practical and using some logic. Very strange that those two keys are unusable..
If you bothered to read some of the posts about him, you'd see it was from a car accident.
See you don't care, you just want to play the sympathetic ear.

Why would I need to read posts about him?

So with your warped logic, he cannot that be that disabled....because it was only a car accident.

So with your warped logic, he cannot that be that disabled....because it was only a car accident.
Nope, that's not what I'm saying.
That's you reading my post, rolling it around with the marbles in your head and blurting out some nonsense.

It's simply a matter of perspective.
Your "giving this bloke a break" comment does nothing but condemn him to his disability, without hope, because trying to do anything more than he's doing now would be beyond his capabilities.
I, on the other hand believe that's not the case, I believe better life outcomes are within anyone's reach, if they are willing to try.

Last edited:
WHAT DOES ANYBODY THINK OF INDY HEADS FOR BIG BLOCK MOPARS ?? I HAVE 3 400 INCH ENGINES AND 2 440 ENGINES . I LIKE THE 400 THE BEST BUT HAVE NEVER BUILD A FULL ALL OUT HORSEPOWER ENGINE SO LOOKING FOR YOU GUYS TO STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION . I ALSO HAVE A 1967 383 ENGINE 318 AND MANY MORE ENGINES FROM 1984 TO 1988 2.3 TURBO FORDS TURBO TBIRDS TO 1989 CHEVEY IROCS 1989 PONTIAC WS6 FIREBIRD ENGINES AND CARS HAD THEM FOR YEARS IN MY GARAGE AS WELL WANT TO BUILD A 500 INCH 400 ENGINE AND ON HORSPOWER THE SKY IS THE LIMIT JUST WANT TO KNOW YOUR GUYS EXPERIENCE WITH PARTS AND HORSE POWER RESULTS . ALSO HAVE A 3300 LBS 1977 DODGE ASPEN RT SUPER PACK CAR THAT I BOUGHT WHEN I WAS 17TEEN YRS OLD IN 1983 AND WANT TO RESTORE IT BECAUSE OF ALL THE MEMORIES AND BECAUSE THEY DID NOT MAKE MANY OF THEM . MY RT IS A ORIGINAL 4 SPEED STICK CAR BLACK SUN PAINT WITH BLACK INTERIOR . THE BLACK PAINT HAS ALITTLE METAL SPECKS IN IT WITH THE RED AND ORAMGE STRIPS

View attachment 1715979789

View attachment 1715979790

View attachment 1715979791

Indy heads are great on stokers. Seems to be a line, the TF 270 are good up to that 650-700 mark. But, somewhere in there the Indy’s take over. The 440-1 325 is a great head on a 400/512. EZ’s and SR’s are also good heads ported. Just depends on what you want to do. Indys have more power potential, but for a street strip car the 270 is a strong head is setup up to 500 cube’s. The bigger engines 540+ I would only use an Indy head.

Last edited:
-
Back