408 blueprint crate motor by Summit

-

MoparSteve

Reaction score
Anyone got experience (good or bad) with this crate motor? I am trying to decide between dropping one of these in or rebuilding my 73 340 with x heads that is developing some bottom knocks.

I would be interested to know as well. I've been looking at a 5.7 swap, but the more I look the more the price tag goes up. I'm thinking a nice little blown smallblock would look pretty good under the hood as well =P.

Agreed, AbodyJoe. Thanks for the link. Hell, its in a Summit catalog. That company is good enough for the chevy crowd, but not for me. I was thinking of them for a motor. This just sealed their fate. Granted, theres always two sides to every story. Its likely that guy with the broken ring is conveniently leaving out an important detail, but nonetheless theres too much liability (namely your own) to buy a motor from a company that promises big HP but won't stand behind their stuff. No thanks.

Stroke your 340,buy all the parts yourself find a good machinist/builder then you'll know what went in it and who did it,those crate(crap) motors are built by whoever...

As for the comment on Summit racing being chevy only..i've spent quite a bit of money with them and i own a mopar,always happy with the parts and service,any issues i might have had were addressed correctly..

I would be interested to know as well. I've been looking at a 5.7 swap, but the more I look the more the price tag goes up. I'm thinking a nice little blown smallblock would look pretty good under the hood as well =P.

I tend to agree with you on the blown 340 .....but I may be just a LITTLE biased.

How were those gapless rings to install?

I'd do the 340 from scratch and not for nothin, it'll probably be better hands down and make more power if you take your time and think about what your doing and what goes into it. If your careful, it'll also be cheaper.

I know a crate motor is always risky and I do prefer the rebuild route, however I believed my motor might have been rebuild before by the previous own with 60 over (not 100% possitive) so not sure rebuild is a real option.

I've talked to 2 guys that bought them and they were both junk. One guy opened his up and found they installed 1/16" rings with pistons designed for 5/64" rings. I personally wouldn't give them 2 bits for one. Even if your engine is bored out too much you could still find another block to build one on.

Second engine in 14 months from blue print, first one lasted 500 miles before a knock was detected--- just plain junk IMO.
It took almost a year to get issue's resolved on first short block, now I have the second one installed and it has 150 miles on it.plain and simple IMO don't buy from Blue print engines

If you are looking at crate motors, Indy Cylinder hear is running a pretty good sale at the moment due to a recent big closeout purchase from Mopar Performance. I would stay away from Blueprint. I know several people personally that have had issues with them and getting them to resolve the issues is quite a hassle.

I researched this motor and company for almost a year. I checked the BBB and they have many complainants. The motors are built by "Marshall Engines" After looking at many blogs and talking to people on ebay who had these motors, they all talked about problems with the motors as well as dealing with the company who back steps on the warranty; always blaming the customer/installer to get out of replacing among other things. I got a good deal on another motor, but I would save money and get an Indy motor. 375 or 430 HP motor and pick it up at a show while they run it for you right there. That was my plan originally in lieu of Blueprint.

-
Back