408 stroker bottom end clearance questions

-

MagnumBarracuda

Reaction score
I'm looking into a 408 stroker kit from Hughes engine. It is a scat rotating assembly, icon pistons. Has anyone had any experience putting one of these in a 5.9 magnum? I want to know if anything need to be modified such as block matching (other than the overbore), oil pump/pickup, or the oil pan.

I'm looking into a 408 stroker kit from Hughes engine. It is a scat rotating assembly, icon pistons. Has anyone had any experience putting one of these in a 5.9 magnum? I want to know if anything need to be modified such as block matching (other than the overbore), oil pump/pickup, or the oil pan.

I haven't seen any issues with the oil pick up tube with a 4" crank. The bottoms of the cylinders will probably need to be notched if it uses standard mopar rod sizes and probably a 2 .100 too.

This is on a LA block.

Years ago on an LA block I put a 4" strocker crank with H beam rods. Clearanced the bottom of the cylinder wall for the rod bolts. They didn't hit but where very close. I just used a rotary file on a die grinder. I don't know how much difference is in a magnum. I don't recall any issue with the pick up tube..

You will need to double check the clearance, but I believe the scat rotating assembly uses the scat pro series I beam rods which are stroker clearanced.

Have assembled 3 408 using scat I beam rods and had no clearance problems.

Will be doing another one later this week..

My Scat cast crank and Scat h-beams have/needed slight clearance notches.

remember the magnum has a shorter deck height and you must adjust for that
pick a kit where you can get .030-.035 quench like 0.0 deck and adjust with gaskets
then piston dish to get compression you want with your choice of heads... best to have accurate head cc's
I'd pick a kit with chevy size crank pins and rod big ends
also check out 4 1/8 and 4 1/4 kits

-
Back