408 Stroker

-
I called Holley and the tech. said that the the 3310 750 and the avenger 770 flowed about the same, 750. So the tech I talked to about 5 years ago corn-fused me good.
The 3310 is off the 4160 and the avenger is off the 4150 with better tunability. Thanks for the info Guys.

I would think a holley 830 annular for yours or mine would be nice.

the 1 7/8 header depending on gear/rpm/cam/carb/flow ratio would help a bit.

yep plenty of variables.

OK well I will look into those TTI's for edelbrock heads. They are spendy... I am going to keep my eye out for a decent carb like one of the ones above. Probably a avenger. I have the magnum set up so I have to pick a decent intake but they are spendy too. Maybe an M1. Thanks for all the answers.

Well that's fricken RAD!! Jeez, after I buy a set of 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 they come out with these!! How much of a difference do you think they would be on my 408 stroker? My engine dyno'd at 533 HP/513 FT LBS with the step headers..I wonder how much more I could get out of it with the 1-7/8" headers......

You might be surprised! I've seen the smaller headers on more than one build work better than the large tube headers.
Remember if the ex. port is only so big, and flows so much, a bigger tube will almost always slow the ex. speed down resulting in less velocity in the ex. tract. This can hurt the heads ability to "blow down".
I've seen this in Big blocks alot. We did a basic bracket type BB engine, 4.400x4.150 with Eddy MW victor heads and Super victor intake, small roller cam, 1050 dom, 12.9:1 and HOOKER 2" headers and it made 776HP at 6400rpm!
A larger tube may have helped, and may not have helped. But that's a pretty good HP # from a mild build and mildly ported heads that had more in them.
So 1 7/8 for a sb with small ex. ports is likely overkill unless it's a high rpm (7500+)engine.
Just some food for thought...

You might be surprised! I've seen the smaller headers on more than one build work better than the large tube headers.
Remember if the ex. port is only so big, and flows so much, a bigger tube will almost always slow the ex. speed down resulting in less velocity in the ex. tract. This can hurt the heads ability to "blow down".
I've seen this in Big blocks alot. We did a basic bracket type BB engine, 4.400x4.150 with Eddy MW victor heads and Super victor intake, small roller cam, 1050 dom, 12.9:1 and HOOKER 2" headers and it made 776HP at 6400rpm!
A larger tube may have helped, and may not have helped. But that's a pretty good HP # from a mild build and mildly ported heads that had more in them.
So 1 7/8 for a sb with small ex. ports is likely overkill unless it's a high rpm (7500+)engine.
Just some food for thought...

I understand! Thank you Brian!

HA! i don't think I need the 1 7/8" for a street car after reading the above post. I will go to the track maybe a few times a year.

Looks like the 1 7/8 TTIs have a flange that does not hang into the ports on the end of the cylinder head like the step header does. How much power are the TTI step headers loosing by hanging into the port?

Looks like the 1 7/8 TTIs have a flange that does not hang into the ports on the end of the cylinder head like the step header does. How much power are the TTI step headers loosing by hanging into the port?

When I was testing this 410, we tried a set of Hooker 1 3/4 headers that have a very large opening into the flange and do not hang in the port. I really expected them to make more power than the TTI's, but they did not.
The Hookers mirrored the TTI's the whole way, but never actually made more HP or TQ anywhere!
This will not be in the magazine...but it's worth noting.
Brian

I am thinking about stroking my rebuilt 340 also, how much do you think it would be to install a kit if the motor is already rebuilt with o miles? Can I run the x heads?

I am thinking about stroking my rebuilt 340 also, how much do you think it would be to install a kit if the motor is already rebuilt with o miles? Can I run the x heads?

You'll have to check the block and notch the bottoms of the cylinders I would think.
You can get a complete rotating assembly from IMM already balanced for 1600 I do believe.

Give OU812 a PM and talk to him about options.

I heard no clearancing in you use scat rods? I called RPM and it is 1350 forged kit and balanced. I am wondering how much to bolt it together? Do you think x heads would flow enough for a street motor?

-
Back