It’s a sickness!
Reaction score
What all is involved in installing a 426 hemi in my 67 barracuda
It will be a 4 speed. Need info like what k member what motor mounts
What exhaust headers or cast manifolds, hood clearance currently
Have an AAR six pak hood. What mods have to be done to the engine bay
Don't really want to use elephant ears. Just checking my options
Thanks

I know back in the 80's, direct connection offered the big block k-frame and solid motor mounts. Made the swap to a big block fairly easy, I used fenderwell headers from Hooker. Not sure if there are any chassis headers available from the other manufacturers. Might have to re-locate master cylinder, I believe Mancini has plates to do that. As far as engine bay, I really don't recall anything needing modding. Others will chime in of course, as I'm sure there are more modern ways of doing the swap, with more modern technology.

The hemi blocks use their own mounting ears and standard big block brackets don't fit. The k frames are also different. There was an aftermarket block from mopar performance that used standard big block mounts. If you don't have an engine yet you may be able to use a big block k-frame with one of those blocks. There are also new tubular k-frames that will mount a hemi in a second generation a-body. The hemi is a tight fit and will take some custom clearancing to make it work.

Contact 805moparkid about the mounts, he works at SS &AFX & they sell them. If you run a rear sump pan you will need to notch the k-frame. Need to modify the right side inner fender, factory did it with a sledge, mine was cut, the cut piece inverted and welded back in. Blower motor needs to go away. Depending on motor placement & intake a flat hood will work, ask HemiMark or HemiDenny. TTI makes a set of headers.

Schumacher makes a mount for this swap,and as inkjunkie said you will have to modify the right side fenderwell. I have an offset brake block and rod for sale in the classifieds. Headers are not real hard to find used.Any big block 8 quart oil pan will work.You might want to think about beefing up your torsion bars because the Hemi is a crapload heavier.You can throw your front swaybar away cause this bad boy wont be cornering with all this weight out front and all that torque out back.Get some good subframe connectors and a big fuel line and pickup for your tank.You will have to run a 10.5 inch clutch and the big block z bar and clutch linkage will work(call Brewers for the z bar,originals are almost impossible to find)

for our builds we mock the motor EVERY TIME before welding in the mounts... and as said we sell the correct complete mount kit...

you are going to have to roll the lip that is in the tunnel area for extra clearance as your gonna want to run the Lakewood scatter proof bell...

you can call greg and pick his brain if you like and check out the site for products...

http://www.ssandafx.com/

What all is involved in installing a 426 hemi in my 67 barracuda
It will be a 4 speed. Need info like what k member what motor mounts
What exhaust headers or cast manifolds, hood clearance currently
Have an AAR six pak hood. What mods have to be done to the engine bay
Don't really want to use elephant ears. Just checking my options
Thanks

send Hemidenny a pm. He will be able to help.

look here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=135839

The new TTI hemi headers work with 4speeds.

Here's the install on Troy's Dart. He used SSandAFX k-frame bracket parts/kit.

When running the TTI headers that motor's crankshaft centerline must be in the same place as called out in the TTI diagrams.

Just lower the 1968 Dart body right over the Hemi engine, headers, and K-frame assembly. Then go get some tacos for lunch!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 920
  • P47_copy-1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 921
  • P46_copy-1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 896
  • P45_copy-1.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 950
  • P17_copy-1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 901
  • Troy8_31_11DartSm5.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,068
  • PICT5707.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 993
  • PICT5706.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,165
Critical engine crank centerline dimensions. I'd think this picture would be up on the www.ttiexhaust.com website too??

Note: this is with the special repro 68 Hemi A-body K-frame to chassis spacers/washers from SSandAFX. And like the Hurst modified this cars the steering column bearing is moved up, offset Hemi master clyinder w/flex hoses, passenger inner fender is beat back including shock brace moved/beat back, etc, etc...

Attachments

• EnginePosition.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,050
  • TransPosition.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,003
Here the recent article in Mopar Collectors Guide about Troy's Hemi Dart. This was the car used to mock up and test the new TTI A-body Hemi headers you see in the prototype and measurement pictures above.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_5761.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 924
  • Copy of IMG_5764.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 860
  • Copy of IMG_5765.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 865
Schumacher makes a mount for this swap,and as inkjunkie said you will have to modify the right side fenderwell. I have an offset brake block and rod for sale in the classifieds. Headers are not real hard to find used.Any big block 8 quart oil pan will work.You might want to think about beefing up your torsion bars because the Hemi is a crapload heavier.You can throw your front swaybar away cause this bad boy wont be cornering with all this weight out front and all that torque out back.Get some good subframe connectors and a big fuel line and pickup for your tank.You will have to run a 10.5 inch clutch and the big block z bar and clutch linkage will work(call Brewers for the z bar,originals are almost impossible to find)

Thanks for the info I have a 7 quart pan already and a 516 bell are the 10.5
Flywheels specific to hemis or can I use any 10.5 flywheel for steel crank

What do you guys think of using the control freak modular suspension
With the hemi, thanks so much for all the help so far it's looking more
Like I just may give this a go hemi mark thanks for the pm

Thanks for the info I have a 7 quart pan already and a 516 bell are the 10.5
Flywheels specific to hemis or can I use any 10.5 flywheel for steel crank

I use the McCloud combo... 10.95 8 bolt Hemi flywheel, 10.95 clutch disc, and 10.95 pressure plate (3 finger). It's like butter and grabs

with that combo you use the smaller ring gear keeping the starter a small , but critical distance from the exhaust, but get almost 11" clutch.

Looking for the Super Stock, rework the inner fenderwheel six pak scoop street clone,...... or a Super Sleeper, everthing under the FLAT hood?

How would the street manner be on a 472 hemi with 10.2 to 1 compression
292 duration cam with a 4 speed and 3.91 gear in a 67 barracuda?
Anyone have a hemi for sale? Hemidenny I sure like one of those
K members you built for your duster:toothy8:

How would the street manner be on a 472 hemi with 10.2 to 1 compression
292 duration cam with a 4 speed and 3.91 gear in a 67 barracuda?
Anyone have a hemi for sale? Hemidenny I sure like one of those
K members you built for your duster:toothy8:

dont go under a 4.10 gear and a 30 (or in that ratio)... we just built a 472 4 speed with 3.91's for an AZ customer and it hatted them... at cruise it would try to buck... now granted this is with the crossram intake so it likes to cruise @ 2700 rpm...

and is that at .050 or Adv duration??

I think I will just do a good street build
On the 426 ci just don't really want to buck around in this. already
Have a 69 bee that likes to buck your *** at below 2000
I would like to do a build with good street manners

I think I will just do a good street build
On the 426 ci just don't really want to buck around in this. already
Have a 69 bee that likes to buck your *** at below 2000
I would like to do a build with good street manners

Troy got a custom Comp cam for his 472 that is ultra street friendly. He's at 11 to 1 compression with aluminum heads. It's a split duration around 280 with a 112 centerline. The 112 centerline give it a smooth idle.

Never runs hot, start really well dead cold, he runs 3.55 gears with smaller diameter "as delivered" size tires.

Well maybe I could do a street friendly 472 with that mild cam
What would be the estimated hp be on a build like this?

-
Back