440 69 Barracuda

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have been reading some posts here about exhaust manifolds. I just acquired a 69 Barracuda with a 74 440. My garage is not that well equipped but the shoes in the steering coupler were toast and to get at it I had to cut the headers out, they were not in great shape anyway. I bought some cheap 74 exhaust manifolds thinking they would work and dry fitted the drivers side, now noticing that the steering shaft will not go back in because the manifold is in the way.
My question is what is the best budget options given the fact I can't pull the engine...which year manifolds will work? or are there 2 piece headers that will work. I have power steering as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks AL

steering.jpeg

Last edited:
'68-73 HP manifolds work with some mods. '74-up HP maybe. I have seen the '74s in a car, but I'm not sure what was done to make them fit. As every build is different, there is a chance that your engine is too far to the left.

'68-73 HP manifolds work with some mods. '74-up HP maybe. I have seen the '74s in a car, but I'm not sure what was done to make them fit. As every build is different, there is a chance that your engine is too far to the left.
Thanks Jim, anymore to the left and nothing would fit there LOL

Quick question is the engine sitting in the right spot… correct mounts? Those manifolds look a tad low like the engine needs to go up and the steering will clear.

Schumacher tri-y’s are a nice compromise between a full length header and exhaust manifolds.

I believe the C body driver's side HP manifold will come closest to working for you and probably require the least amount of mods.

The C body driver side manifold has no chance of working without major modification because the pipe flange points out to the side of the block. If we cut off the flange and welded on a short section of pipe it would work great.

I would try to find a 68-69 big block HP manifold.

20220220_181835.jpg

The C body driver side manifold has no chance of working without major modification because the pipe flange points out to the side of the block. If we cut off the flange and welded on a short section of pipe it would work great.

I would try to find a 68-69 big block HP manifold.

View attachment 1716023879
The C body manifold has been made to work by many people by milling the manifold so that the outlet sits closer to the engine. A lot of people have made it work.

The C body manifold has been made to work by many people by milling the manifold so that the outlet sits closer to the engine. A lot of people have made it work.

How will we ever know we ever know unless I mock them all up and take pictures? You are a bad influence lol.

I now remember the angle milling of the C body manifold coming up in the other thread. Do you know if they milled the other side of the flange ears to mate the bolt square to the flange? I still think it would dump the exhaust out in a less than ideal location.

Also one caveat...when I think of something not working in a BB a body it is due to the mechanical clutch linkage about 50% of the time. YMMV with a slushbox : D

How will we ever know we ever know unless I mock them all up and take pictures? You are a bad influence lol.

I now remember the angle milling of the C body manifold coming up in the other thread. Do you know if they milled the other side of the flange ears to mate the bolt square to the flange? I still think it would dump the exhaust out in a less than ideal location.

Also one caveat...when I think of something not working in a BB a body it is due to the mechanical clutch linkage about 50% of the time. YMMV with a slushbox : D
I will say this about it......MOST of the discussion was around the B engine, although there have been some that were successful using the C body manifold with the RB. If I was to build one, it would be a B based engine. No need to be a glutton for punishment. lol

I have been reading some posts here about exhaust manifolds. I just acquired a 69 Barracuda with a 74 440. My garage is not that well equipped but the shoes in the steering coupler were toast and to get at it I had to cut the headers out, they were not in great shape anyway. I bought some cheap 74 exhaust manifolds thinking they would work and dry fitted the drivers side, now noticing that the steering shaft will not go back in because the manifold is in the way.
My question is what is the best budget options given the fact I can't pull the engine...which year manifolds will work? or are there 2 piece headers that will work. I have power steering as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks AL

View attachment 1716023713
Check with Flaming River

-
Back