440 cam

-

moparsteve62

Reaction score
Building a 1973 duster drag car. Looking to get a cam for my .030 over 440 engine. Drag racing only. 1970 block, stock forged Crank, stock rods, Icon forged flat top Pistons running edelbrock performer rpm heads(not porting them as of right now) 75cc with an M1 intake.Running 1.6 ratio Harland sharp rockers. And a 950 cfm Holley xp carb. Looking to get a solid flat tappet cam or solid roller that would work good with my combo and something that's in stock as well. I don't know much about cams and what good brands are trying to put the engine together asap. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
550 or so lift with 260-270 duration will look at what you have what's the specs on that one

Well I just looked up roller cams and duration seems to be a lot lower on a solid roller than a solid flat like I said new to cam specs

Howard’s, Bullet, Jones

This info below is also necessary cus it all works together to optimize the outcome of your setup…

Compression ratio
Transmission
Trans gearing
If auto, TC stall / flash
Trans brake / foot brake
Rear end gear
Tire size
Car weight

Building a 1973 duster drag car. Looking to get a cam for my .030 over 440 engine. Drag racing only. 1970 block, stock forged Crank, stock rods, Icon forged flat top Pistons running edelbrock performer rpm heads(not porting them as of right now) 75cc with an M1 intake.Running 1.6 ratio Harland sharp rockers. And a 950 cfm Holley xp carb. Looking to get a solid flat tappet cam or solid roller that would work good with my combo and something that's in stock as well. I don't know much about cams and what good brands are trying to put the engine together asap. Any input would be appreciated.
You need to talk to a cam manufacturer with your combination and they will get you the right one. This is not the parts wanted forum if you are looking to buy one here. I removed that from your first post. I will also move this thread to the big block forum from the General discussion forum. You may get more traffic there.

Like mentioned above... gears, trans type, converter if auto, suspension mods?

You need to talk to a cam manufacturer with your combination and they will get you the right one. This is not the parts wanted forum if you are looking to buy one here. I removed that from your first post. I will also move this thread to the big block forum from the General discussion forum. You may get more traffic there.
Thanks man and new to the site pretty much have always used it to find info now using it to ask some questions.

Howard’s, Bullet, Jones

This info below is also necessary cus it all works together to optimize the outcome of your setup…

Compression ratio
Transmission
Trans gearing
If auto, TC stall / flash
Trans brake / foot brake
Rear end gear
Tire size
Car weight
Compression ratio will be around 10:1 from using a compression ratio calculator
727 trans standard gearing 3rd 1-1 I believe
TCI 4000 stall torque converter (that may change too gotta do some more research on that)
Dana 60 4.88 with a spool
foot braking for now 32x14-15 tire
car weight I would guess is going to be around 3500

Howards 260 264 @.050 .616 .620 lift on a 108 lsa. The extra lift won't hurt a thing. The aggressive lobes will help. My old build was very close to yours and this is the cam they advised for me.

Howards 260 264 @.050 .616 .620 lift on a 108 lsa. The extra lift won't hurt a thing. The aggressive lobes will help. My old build was very close to yours and this is the cam they advised for me.
Bad *** cam, I have it in my 470.

-
Back