440 center link issue

-

troys330

Reaction score
73 dart sport /6 to 440 now oil pan hits center link . What should I use for center link and where can I find one?

Troy, What number is it, there are only a few "stock" pans that fit a BB build.

When I did mine I had to dimple one of the corners, I believe I had an 899 pan.

Not sure what pan number but the engine is sitting on the center link. If I use a V8 center link will that clear right now I have the /6 center link on the car

You need a 699 or 933 pan for your application. As mentioned above you may need to do a little clearancing. The 699 comes from 72'-73' C body and 933 from 74' C body .
The 893 pan will work also but are very rare and pricey.

how much is it hitting? I put my centerlink in the mill and milled off .25 and had plenty of room

I had a similar issue with a 1971 383 road runner years ago.

For me the solution was easy. I removed the center link, flipped it over, and gained almost 1" in clearance.

Try that and see if it works for you.

I had a similar issue with a 1971 383 road runner years ago.

For me the solution was easy. I removed the center link, flipped it over, and gained almost 1" in clearance.

Try that and see if it works for you.

Doesn't that screw up your steering geometry though? The correct thing to do is get a different oil pan you really don't want to mess with steering linkage unless you absolutely have to. Then again I'm picky when it comes to handling so if you're building a straight-line car (drag racing) it may not matter.

FYI there were like seven or eight different factory oil pans for big blocks throughout the years just for passenger cars while there were only two or three for small blocks. Bigger engine=less space lol

Doesn't that screw up your steering geometry though? The correct thing to do is get a different oil pan you really don't want to mess with steering linkage unless you absolutely have to. Then again I'm picky when it comes to handling so if you're building a straight-line car (drag racing) it may not matter.

FYI there were like seven or eight different factory oil pans for big blocks throughout the years just for passenger cars while there were only two or three for small blocks. Bigger engine=less space lol

187 pan and p/u will help, may still have to hammer dent a small tad.

Doesn't that screw up your steering geometry though? The correct thing to do is get a different oil pan you really don't want to mess with steering linkage unless you absolutely have to.

When I flipped the center link over, it solved my clearance problem. I assumed that the center link had been removed and reinstalled incorrectly in the past.

The point I was trying to make was that maybe his center link was installed upside down as well.

If you flipped the center link over and there was more clearance you had it wrong in the first place (won't go into all the details).

If you are using a motor plate there is no way to tell whether the engine is at the height it should be. When the wheels are straight every stock pan should clear the link.

I thought you couldn't flip them over because of the tapered holes for the idler arms etc.

X2, unless you rotate the joints maybe?

had the same issue with my 440 build...only hit when turned wheel all the way one way. had to change centre from /6 to V 8

I would redo motor plate.

-
Back