440 dies in gear

-

martin53

martin53
Reaction score
I just install a transmission and rebuilt the carb finally got my 440 running but now it wants to die when I put it in drive. Is it not getting enough fuel it idles good.

Posted via Topify on Android

My dad had the same issue on his 383, came out to be a broken contact on the distributor rotor. Engine was getting enough spark to turn on and idle, but under load, it would die. Same thing with my 318, 6 months ago.

Just curious does the whole front of the car drop when you put it in gear and it dies? This may sound crazy but a few years back I installed a brand new TCI trans and converter and when I started the car it ran great and I had it on jack stands for the initial run through the gears and it seemed find and then we dropped it down and tried to go for test drive and as soon as I put it in 1st gear the nose dropped and the car chugged out, after many theories we figured it out....it was the converter, not sure exactly what was wrong with it but it locked up as soon as it went into gear, changed it and that was that! So if you cant figure it out electrically or otherwise check the converter.

Just curious does the whole front of the car drop when you put it in gear and it dies? This may sound crazy but a few years back I installed a brand new TCI trans and

converter and when I started the car it ran great and I had it on jack stands for the initial run through the gears and it seemed find and then we dropped it down and tried to go for test drive and as soon as I put it in 1st gear the nose dropped and the car chugged out, after many theories we figured it out....it was the converter, not sure exactly what was wrong with it but it locked up as soon as it went into gear, changed it and that was that! So if you cant figure it out electrically or otherwise check the converter.
I had a buddy tell me the same thing what's weird it started to rattle from the trans when I rev it idling I'll check timing too

Haven't switched out the tc to see if that's what's wrong but I'm looking to sell the truck its in in you guys opinions how much should I ask for the engine and trans the engine block is a 1964 426 max wedge bored to a 440 with 440 heads and runs good. Not much people are interested in the truck.

My phone won't let me open the page you posted here's the stamp on top and side numbers. From what I looked up the block is a 1964 not sure from what.

Attachments

• topify_1413484108398.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 253
  • topify_1413484133304.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 249
Not sure what trans your using but if it's an O/D trans of some sort it could very well be the torque converter solenoid stuck and causing the T/C to lock up. If it's a non O/D trans probably an issue with the torque converter itself.

Interesting.
FROM MAXWEDGE.COM: In 1964 the Max Wedge engine continued to use the 2406730 block castings. The block continued to receive the notching for exhaust valve clearance as they did previously. In 1964 Dodge and Plymouth began offering a 365 horsepower single four barrel 426 Street Wedge.

This engine also used the 730 casting block except there was no need for notching the top of the bores for exhaust valve clearance as the Street Wedge did not use 1.88 exhaust valves so there was no clearance problem. I am talking about this Street Wedge block because many of the 730 blocks that come up for sale today are street wedge blocks. When you look at a 730 casting block or pictures of one be sure to look for the identifying notches if the block is represented as an original max wedge block. Chances are high it will not have the notches which means it is a Street Wedge block. The abbreviations and font sizes will also be different on a street wedge block.

Seems the definitive way to tell if it is a Max Wedge block is these notches for the exhast valves

block03.jpg

But if it has been bored...then well who knows.

Head casting # 2406518

Either way the motor might be worth quite a bit to a guy restoring a 64.
I've seen Max Wedge rocker assemblies alone go for over $800.

Do you still have the MW exhaust manifolds?
The intake?

All that stuff adds up really fast.

-
Back