440 in 72 Dart Swinger?

-
you can go alumn head and wp housing 440 stroked to 500+ cubes and be faster then that 408. with the right suspension parts it will handle great.

Hey thats great. Now we have engine money and suspension money to spend. Sounds good?

Like for like, stroked LA vs stroked B with all aluminum everything is less than 75 lbs difference. The big block has more head flow and more cubes, bigger power potential.

75 lbs? I would be thrilled to get rid of 75lbs off the nose. I even lightened my bumper brackets for the 1 pound loss so...

Hey thats great. Now we have engine money and suspension money to spend. Sounds good?

75 lbs? I would be thrilled to get rid of 75lbs off the nose. I even lightened my bumper brackets for the 1 pound loss so...
Different strokes for different folks.

I would build the 340, I'm building a 471 for my dart but it was a slant 6 **** box (no offense rusty lol).
If I had a 340 dart I'd definitely build another small block & put the 340 on a stand
You made the right choice, once you get behind the wheel with that 471, the only place you will go is up in cubes.
You will be hooked.

I don't know. i found the big block in my abodies easier to work on then small blocks. stroked big block is even more fun.

I don't know. i found the big block in my abodies easier to work on then small blocks. stroked big block is even more fun.

The stroked SB crowd seems to think you can’t also stroke the big block and add a bunch of aluminum to make it lighter. The big block is more cubes, and more cfm every time. No replacement for displacement and the distributor is right up front!

YO!!!!! We are almost neighbors! Lets connect on the big block A bodies! I have a few and have done more.... I lived in Blanchard for years but am now in Tuttle. PM ME!

I put a stock stroke 0.030 over 440 in my 73 dart swinger. Had Wisco flat top pistons/ eagle rods, stock steel crank, out of the box indy EZ heads, comp 590 solid roller cam, tunnelram etc. The engine had 10.9 compression and ran on 93 pump gas. The dart would run 10.49 at 126 in the 1/4 and was very streetable. With that I didn't think the 440 was any harder to work on compared to the 318 that was in the car before. The only thing that was harder on the 440 was getting to number 6 spark plug. With TTI 2 inch headers on the car. I fixed that problem by drilling a 1-1/2 hole in the inner fender. Now you can change the plug in less than 5 minutes.
I also thought the bellhouseing bolts were a lot easier to get to on the 440. After saying all that if you was starting from scratch I would build what ever you wanted to. But if you already have a bunch of small block stuff build the stroker small block. But if you didn't have anything to start with I would build what ever was easier to get parts for. Like Blocks etc. What ever you decide best of luck and don't forget to post lots of pictures.

Put a 400 stroker (470) in my 69 Valiant. All I can say is if you use Schumacher shortie headers there is plenty of room.

A7350B63-FB1D-4DD9-92E5-08B53C09D431.jpeg

F730429C-9A1C-4382-9185-C589502F9DC9.jpeg

766BCD35-A106-4C56-8666-A06FE3E24C21.jpeg

I put a Manciniracing.com front engine plate and fenderwell headers. Easy peasy. Manual brakes, manual steering. Plugs and steering are easy as nothing is in the way on the sides.

I put a stock stroke 0.030 over 440 in my 73 dart swinger. Had Wisco flat top pistons/ eagle rods, stock steel crank, out of the box indy EZ heads, comp 590 solid roller cam, tunnelram etc. The engine had 10.9 compression and ran on 93 pump gas. The dart would run 10.49 at 126 in the 1/4 and was very streetable. With that I didn't think the 440 was any harder to work on compared to the 318 that was in the car before. The only thing that was harder on the 440 was getting to number 6 spark plug. With TTI 2 inch headers on the car. I fixed that problem by drilling a 1-1/2 hole in the inner fender. Now you can change the plug in less than 5 minutes.
I also thought the bellhouseing bolts were a lot easier to get to on the 440. After saying all that if you was starting from scratch I would build what ever you wanted to. But if you already have a bunch of small block stuff build the stroker small block. But if you didn't have anything to start with I would build what ever was easier to get parts for. Like Blocks etc. What ever you decide best of luck and don't forget to post lots of pictures.

when you pulled the 318 out of your 73 Dart and put in the 440 did you have to do any cutting or welding?
different K members or steering shafts?
other than the hole in the inner fender for spark plug access what modifications did you have to make?

when you pulled the 318 out of your 73 Dart and put in the 440 did you have to do any cutting or welding?
different K members or steering shafts?
other than the hole in the inner fender for spark plug access what modifications did you have to make?
I used the 73 Abody shumocker conversion mounts. Like a Dumbass I sold the car over 5 years a go. But if I remember right all I had to do was cut a inch off the top of the left side K frame engine mount and redrill a new hole. No other cutting that I can remember..I will look up the instructions and post them here. I massaged the seam in the firewall to trans tunnel. It took 3 people. One on each side holding the 2 inch TTI headers, but it took me less than a half hour installing the 440/ 727 into the dart. I used a summit Ford/ mopar 28x19 aluminum radiator. Number 2 and 4 spark plug. You can change from up to. But I used a 5/8 spark plug socket that you can use a wrench on. I used a 8 QT morose oil pan that came from a 66 plymouth B body . Other than that nothing special had to be done. Oops forgot had to cut a hole in my hood for the Tunnelram intake I was useing . I will try and post some pictures of my old car latter today

I used the 73 Abody shumocker conversion mounts. Like a Dumbass I sold the car over 5 years a go. But if I remember right all I had to do was cut a inch off the top of the left side K frame engine mount and redrill a new hole. No other cutting that I can remember..I will look up the instructions and post them here. I massaged the seam in the firewall to trans tunnel. It took 3 people. One on each side holding the 2 inch TTI headers, but it took me less than a half hour installing the 440/ 727 into the dart. I used a summit Ford/ mopar 28x19 aluminum radiator. Number 2 and 4 spark plug. You can change from up to. But I used a 5/8 spark plug socket that you can use a wrench on. I used a 8 QT morose oil pan that came from a 66 plymouth B body . Other than that nothing special had to be done. Oops forgot had to cut a hole in my hood for the Tunnelram intake I was useing . I will try and post some pictures of my old car latter today
Forgot on the steering shaft all I did was cut off the shift lever for the column shift

I am in the midst of going from slant 6 to 440 in my Dart. Correct if I’m wrong fellas but you’ll need new everything, motor, trans with BB housing, headers, most likely upgrading cooling, torsion bars, motor mounts. It’s a lot of crap and a lot of money and that’s just getting the motor in and running. Not even fun stuff like ALU heads.

IMO a 340 is an iconic Mopar motor, I would keep it and build it up without a doubt in my mind.

-
Back