440 in a 68 Dart?

-

faulbio

Reaction score
Hey Guys, It's Faulbio again. I originally intended to put a 383 in my 68 Dart, but I just came across a 440. I have read alot about putting a 440 in an A body. Some say no big deal 440 will fit with right headers with no modifications. Others say I'll loose power steering, heater fan, & that kick down linkage will hit bulk head connector. Can some one out there tell me for sure if a 440 will fit with out alot of modifications or with out loosing drivability? I'd like to send one of the engines out for rebuild, but don't want to waste money I don't have on an engine that won't work with out alot of head aches & extra cost. Either way I'm trying to get close to 500 hp. out of one of them. which one would be better choice? I'm looking to build a show worthy street rod. Any good info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Faulbio

Read through the Big block tech threads. Lots of info on this. 500 HP is easier with a 440 than a 383. P/S and a 440 =TIGHT! Schumacher makes headers that will work with P/S. The kick down shouldn't hit. 69 440 Darts came with autos so with the right linkage shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

I'm not sure about the kick down linkage since I have a manual valve body, but my 440 Duster (same engine compartment as yours) has schumacher headers and spool mounts, and had power steering when I got it.

The only thing I haven't tried is an auto with a 440 (we've done the four speed). No problem with the blower motor (with stock valve covers), power steering looks like it will fit fine with b-body HP manifolds. If the kickdown linkage doesn't fit there are cable alternatives, but the factory built a lot of 440/727 Darts and Barracudas in 1969....

Hey Guys, It's Faulbio again. I originally intended to put a 383 in my 68 Dart, but I just came across a 440. I have read alot about putting a 440 in an A body. Some say no big deal 440 will fit with right headers with no modifications. Others say I'll loose power steering, heater fan, & that kick down linkage will hit bulk head connector. Can some one out there tell me for sure if a 440 will fit with out alot of modifications or with out loosing drivability? I'd like to send one of the engines out for rebuild, but don't want to waste money I don't have on an engine that won't work with out alot of head aches & extra cost. Either way I'm trying to get close to 500 hp. out of one of them. which one would be better choice? I'm looking to build a show worthy street rod. Any good info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Faulbio

I've had 2 big block darts. both 69's with 440's. No issue with kick down or power steering. Only issues I had was power brakes were a no go as was the heater. Also had to run an electric fan. I've used pro parts headers and schumachers. Both are cake.

Something not mentioned is that there will be more room with the 383 compared to the 440. 440 Darts also had really crappy turn radius due to the headers. There are modern headers which help this though. If it's cubes your after stroke the 383 with a 440 crank. Better yet get a 400. Either stroker will lose major pounds from the rotating assembly over a stock 440,make more h.p and rev faster.Just my opinion..

Underchassis headers and manifolds do not affect turning radius. It all depends on what you need and want. I like the torque and mild manners of a fairly stock 440. Yes, the same can be accomplished with a 451, but they aren't as easy to find cheap.

-
Back