440 Intake for Full Race?? - Our Lil Red Express

-
Leak down was fine in the summer and was still before the tear down, rings look great, pistons look good, cylinder walls are perfect, valve seats are good, only sketchy thing in the entire tear down was one if'y roller lifter. Everything checked out. Needs new valve springs and the heads are going to get checked over before they are opened up.

Regardless, we are mentally done with the TR... I think over the season we were creeping up on a setup that worked. We raced in hot muggy weather all season. We got it working in good air in the fall but at the slightest turn in the weather it would fall on its face... to the point that it would run good in TT's and bog first round when it got slightly hotter.

No doubt the TR could be set up but when you only race 1 or 2 times a month there is not enough testing time. We want to race I don't want to spend weeks on end TT'ing... Not to say there wont be testing involved with a single carb. We are looking for something easier to tune.... The truck was on the chassis dyno and it worked great, the problem was only at launch and could not be tuned on the chassis dyno... it wont do it on the street because there is not load since it will only spin on the street....

This engine has never had anything but the TR on it, we bought the combo complete and have used it as is... its time for a change for better or worse. Indy know's their heads and I discussed my combo with them and this was their suggestion. We'll see what happens come spring.

Converter was sent to ATI last winter and was completely gone thru... they said they didn't change anything, just checked for wear, replaced bearing and such.

I,m not too familiar with BB,but if your looking at getting a new carb for your single carb setup?Have a look at the AED race carbs(modified Holleys)You won,t be dissappointed.JMO

Summit Racing now carry,s the AED carbs at resonable prices/

IMO.... Do NOT take Indy's word at anything. IMO...MW porting does not equal 100hp... even if you take into account your change from TR to single reguardless of carbs.

I'm not taking anything they say as gospel. The dyno wont lie and I have a good base line from last spring. We can throw it on this coming spring and see... 100hp sounded like way to much to me. I'm not looking for improvement in power, just tune-ability.

Thanks Petty, I will do some research on the AED carbs when we get there....

Something to mull over... A larger port, that is lazy (meaning you're not turning the rpm to make full use of it) will be harder to tune and affected by weather. The Sr's area very good head and in std port opening can make some great horsepower and more important, a solid flat torque curve. I think, if it were me, and the combo lost .5 second, but the engine leaked down ok and inspected ok, I'd be looking at more thna the engine. What was done to the transmission? When was that last looked at? The rear end?

I appreciate the info guys... We've struggled with this all season and have gone down more paths then I care to write about here... The trans was completley serviced by the same guy that does it ever 3 or so seasons... It had all new clutches, he said everything checked out. ATI said the converter was fine and they never changed anything. Am I suppose to pull it out and send it to them again and tell them to look again at it. We changed ign. Boxes, dist pick-ups, plugs and plugs, wires.. You name it... It all came back to carb set up.... A single carb should be easier... Less variables. I'm not sure if the max wedge route is the best path but I guess we'll see... For the record the best pass ever was a 10.48 in great conditions... I would expect it in the 70's... Its all in the short times. Runs 10.90@122 with a 1.68 60'... Its done 1.48's... Won't get out of its way until 5000 in first.... Worst case it will completly bog and sputter out off the line. Its making steam in the top end. Just won't launch.

I'm assuming the truck's got a 4link or ladders. Have you checked the suspension for binding? Have you flowed the fuel system or had the regulator(s) checked? It sounds as you say, it's just time for a change. The 4bbl is way easier. My feeling is a bracket car you shouldnt even have to open the hood once the weather and qualifying pass is done. Jet for the air, see if the track holds, and that's it. Last thing... Hav eyou ever spoken to Lenny at Ultimate? The convertor really is one of those huge things on a race car. he's a really sharp dude.

FYI Factory Leaf Springs with housing switched to top to get the ride height. Home made slapper bars made from heavy truck springs. We installed a fuel guage on the cowl so we could see if the pressure drops... Doesn't budge..

Well the intake came it.... Looking for a carb now. I sent info to PRO Systems, see what they come back with.

IMG-20111124-00093.jpg
[/IMG]

Several years ago I installed a belt driven vacuum pump with a vacuum breaker set to open at 11inches. I picked up a solid two tenths. Something to consider...

Easiest horsepower I ever found.

I also think 2-500 cfm's would have helped the problem with the tunnel-ram.....

Just a guess, at the moment..... But watch for the 60's to still be off... Providing you use the same rpm range.

Just my 2 cents....

Back in the 80's i built a 440 30 over decked with 208 KB's hogged out 452's.and a 620 lift cam, i ran the old TM7 intake with a 1050 cfm ran it it a mud bogger and never had any tuning problems, i trapped @7000 + rpm's.
The engine is now getting a freshen up after a long hibernation,bearings springs ring's etc.I'll be running the same combo this coming season i a much lighter car.
:burnout:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 005.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 007.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 173
Here's a look at the difference in the port size. As I said before our heads are recommended by to be opened to this size. You can feel a wedge of material on the top of the runner that needs to be taken off.

IMG-20111126-00095.jpg
[/IMG]

The intake needs the thickness of the gasket taken off to fit the heads. This is a peak down the runner with no gaskets... the bottom and middle are flush but the top and outer edge need a bit of work.

IMG-20111126-00097.jpg
[/IMG]

It looks small on the engine compared to the TR... a nice Pro Systems carb will look good on top. We could probably get away with the flat stock hood now which would look great...

IMG-20111126-00099.jpg
[/IMG]

I figure I will use this thread to chart progress... Including the dyno info in the spring. Next will be getting a carb in the new year.

So its been a little while but here's an update. We went with a Pro Systems Dominator. They say it will flow between 1060 and 1150 wet cfm. It a nice piece and I've heard some really good things so I think we'll be happy.

IMG-20120110-00161.jpg
[/IMG]

Its all assembled and back in the truck. We fired it up a last weekend and no issues yet. Idles clean and takes the throttle nice. It runs a lot cooler than the 2 750's so thats a bonus.

Pic of its home
IMG-20120128-00199.jpg
[/IMG]

Short video from my phone.... sorry for the quality
redexpressracing
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for your interest!

it seems like you should have a lot more umph. what headers are you running, are they holding you back?

best of luck to you and your dad on your goals man..:prayer:

it seems like you should have a lot more umph. what headers are you running, are they holding you back?

They are a complete custom built set... you cant find much for a 79 dodge truck in a fender well header.. or you could 10 years ago anyway. I cant remember the dia. 2 1/4" or 2 1/8"... The truck ran the 10.48 with them so I cant see that being an issue.

Thanks

I dont think i seen a reply about your ignition timing but i have a AED 1050 and it is recomended to lock out the distributer timing i run abiut 38Deg with good fuel.

Ya the MSD is locked out and we run at 38... when we where on the dyno last spring it made the most power at 42 but we never really played with it over 40 with 110 oct. fuel. Set at 38 now.

-
Back