440 into 67' barracuda Formula S

-

johnrobbsmusic

Reaction score
I'm working on a 67' barracuda formula S coupe. Originally had a 383 and a 4-speed in it I think, but that engine is long gone and a 727 is sitting in it. I've got a 4 speed to put back in it, but we were thinking about putting a 440 in it instead of putting a 383 back. This is not really a drag car, just gonna be for fun and *maybe* take it to the strip everyonce in a while with friends, am I going to have to reinforce the frame or anything for the car to handle the extra power? and also, what Cam/intake/carb combo would you guys suggest? the 440 is just stock right now, not sure what year, but it's going to be rebuilt soon.

I built a 67 notchback years ago.I welded in frame connectors.I ran a MP..484 hyd.cam. 70 block.Factory cast pistons,factory compression,crappy sp2p?intake.850 holley. 2500 converter. 8 3/4 rear with 3.90 gear.car went 12.64 108. Very streetable combo.

I am currently building a 67 notch. I had Subframe Connectors and a 4 piont roll bar installed. the roll bar and the subframe connectors were all tied together to stiffen up the chassis for my 550hp 440. I expect the car to run high 11s

thanks for the advice guys, I'll look into the subframe connectors, as far as brakes, are there any particular disks and pads you'd suggest? I'm kinda new to actually building something, usually i just repair..

well, if discs off a later a body will work, then I'll look for them, I work in a parts store, but our catalogs don't go back past 70 :/

I ran a 440 in my 67 Coupe for a couple of years. 67 440 with a TM7, Big Headers, stock insides. 4 speed with a 4.88 Dana. Had a 6 point cage, frame connectors, super stock 002/003 springs. Fiberglass hood and trunk lid. 13X32X15 Goodyears. Ran 11.50's all day long. Motor was STOCK.

Attachments

• 1967Barracuda006.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 703
440 in mine!! Exhausts are a beeeatch tho!!

Attachments

• Turbo Cuda 012.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 615
  • Turbo Cuda 013.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 629
:O damn CUUDA, that is close, i'll have to watch that, that'll be fuunn. I should be getting this project rolling in the next week or two, I still can't get the torsionbar out to put the strut back in :/ once I get underway, i'll post pics of the progression in the project part of the forum

I would build it back to stock......a big block a body is rare and the fact that it was a stick just adds to it.......if you want to have some fun, make it a F.A.S.T. class car. (keep it stock appearing on the out side but build it inside). Just my 2 cents.:)

:O damn CUUDA, that is close, i'll have to watch that, that'll be fuunn. I should be getting this project rolling in the next week or two, I still can't get the torsionbar out to put the strut back in :/ once I get underway, i'll post pics of the progression in the project part of the forum

I am ditching the 440 and puttin a 383 back in it. Of course it is gettin a big azz turbo on it too! As far as they 4 speed, mine was an original Automatic car. Someone posted below about this but the auto's were more rare with only 395 produced and well over 700 4speeds.

You should go into the "Mopar General Topics" and get with Matthon. He is trying to get a registry started for these 2nd gen Cuda's. Look under the rear seat in the springs for your buildsheet. He is gathering info and can decode most of it!!

Your call though! Bigblocks are cool as long as you can find the correct parts or can afford those damn headers. Damn shame that you have to be well off to build a MoPar! $5000 to put a nice front-end under one and you can get the same shiiat for a Chivy or a Furd for less than $300.....:-D

Good luck on your endevour!!

Johnrobbsmusic

If I was you whatever you do don't cut or weld on the car if you can't reverse the mods. If you car is a real 67 Formula s 383 4 speed it is very desireable and worth some nice coin if restored correct. Anyone else agree with me?

Carl

Johnrobbsmusic

If I was you whatever you do don't cut or weld on the car if you can't reverse the mods. If you car is a real 67 Formula s 383 4 speed it is very desireable and worth some nice coin if restored correct. Anyone else agree with me?

Carl
....Well said!! ...It's your car,but definetly try to keep the modifications reverseable...That is a rare car!!.....YEEEHAAAA!!!

haha, well, it's not my car, I'm just working on it for a guy who has 30 of them :O no joke. I'm trading work to get a 67 formula s w/a 273 commando/auto fast back from him, aparently I haven't posted pics of this yet, I'll make sure i get them up shortly! (of the big block car, of course) thanks for all the comments so far guys!

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

just a couple, I'll get some up of the whole car, I got all the front suspension in on wednesday, and have tie rods and pitman/idler arms coming in on tuesday

If thats a real 383 4 speed car just make sure and not cut it up.It would be a very rare car.

To all of my knowledge, it is, but when the guy got it, he took the engine out for a dirt tracker in exchange for the shell, it has the 383/formula S emblems on it and a clutch pedal (looks original)

Build it how you want.

Subframe connectors at least, get a torque strap to tie the motor the the frame rail, or better yet a motor plate, ss springs, and run at least a 3.91 gear set.

If it were mine I would do fenderwell headers and a full cage with a big block.

Nobody's paying Jack smack for "rare" cars now days so break out the torches and have some fun at the track.

Just playin'.

My buddy runs a hot 340 formula-S at the track every now and then with no radical mods other than ss springs, 3.91 gears, sub frame connectors, a ratchet shifter and headers.

I ran a 440 in my 67 Coupe for a couple of years. 67 440 with a TM7, Big Headers, stock insides. 4 speed with a 4.88 Dana. Had a 6 point cage, frame connectors, super stock 002/003 springs. Fiberglass hood and trunk lid. 13X32X15 Goodyears. Ran 11.50's all day long. Motor was STOCK.

Wow, what a nice notchback!

I just sold my "rare" car as a rolling body for $12,500.00 so rare cars are still selling once in a while.Now I can buy a not so rare car and do what I want to it without feeling guilty.

I have the frame tied and a 6pt bar in my Cuda ,runs high 10's with to much air in slicks.. Now that the season is over I find out why I got a crappy 60'. Plus I'm running a 440 with a 727 and fenderwell hedders

-
Back