440 max wedge

-

david s

Reaction score
Was looking for the right plugs don't take the usual spark plug with crush washers take the other still was wondering if an one new what kind to get????

BH

Who made a 440 Max Wedge?

Yup. What you need to do is determine WHAT you have for cylinder heads. Some of the motor home heads take 18mm Ford type plugs. "I guess" some of the aftermarket heads take "peanut" 14mm "tapered seat" plugs.

And there is/ was no such thing as a "440 max wedge." If you happen to have legitimate 413/ 426 maxie heads ( I doubt it) they take "standard" B/RB plugs, IE 14mm gasketed

If you can, post a couple pictures of the heads. We can probably help you figure out what you have/need, at that point.

No need to be a jerk to the guy.

Use the plugs for the heads that you have. Look up what plugs that year Max wedge came with and start from there, maybe adjusting the heat range if needed...

J10Y champion plug. Hard to find this style plug but they are out there. Some guys seem to have forgotten what it was like when they were starting out in this hobby.

Hopefully your skin has already thickened up a bit. Do you have iron heads or aluminum? The "tapered seat" style is what you are asking about I believe. If you have an engine with Indy or some other brand heads with Max Wedge port configuration a lot of guys are already jealous.

I've been doin' this for almost 50 years now.I still make mistakes. Please take all comments with a grain of salt as they say,,,.with a bit more info most will do their best to help.(But we still like to dig on you young-uns').....O:)

Actually

Mopar had one in the works for the end of 1966, for the new
1967 NHRA Super Stock Classes.

It was to be available in the 1967 Dodge Charger R/T 'only'.

440 Max-Wedge
* 440 Engine
* 11.5-1 Compression Ratio {TRW Pistons}
* Max-Wedge 'type' Cylinder Heads
* Dual-Quad Intake {In-Line Set-up}
* Twin 'Carter AFB' Carburetors {625 CFM}
* Low-Profile Hood Scoop

It was to be classed in SS/D or SS/DA {8.70 to 9.49 = Wt/HP} for 1967.

Thank you Paul......Bunch of smart asses.

Three of my friends put 426 Max Wedge top ends on 440's in the 70's.

I wish I could find the picture I had of 3 Max Wedge intakes sitting together on a table.

The OP isn't even playing anymore and all we can do is take offense amongst ourselves? It was originally an uninformed question that never was elaborated on by the OP. Let us be at peace and let this thread die.

So it takes a tapered seat plug like some Chevy heads do? Depends if this is a street motor or a race motor, the heat range needs to be correct, after that its brand loyalty.

Was looking for the right plugs don't take the usual spark plug with crush washers take the other still was wondering if an one new what kind to get????

BH

We need to know which cylinder head it is before anyone can help you. Cast iron? Aluminum? Factory? Aftermarket?

If the head doesn't take the factory type of sparkplug then it is most likely an aftermarket head such as Indy or Edelbrock. Edelbrock is pretty good about posting spark plug recommendations on their website. Indy recommends Champion racing plugs for their heads and they list the plugs according to compression ratio in their catalog.

I never saw anybody being a jerk. What if somebody sold the guy a pig in a poke? Doesn't he need to know there's no such thing as a 440 Max Wedge? I sure would like to know where all this hate is comin from lately.

Regarding the proposed 440 Max-Wedge for 1967

Mopar {Dodge} were out to thwart the 1966 and 1967 Chevelle SS-396 {396/375 HP}
for the upcoming 1967 'new' NHRA Super Stock Division {SS/D} Class.

* SS/A .......... 0.00 to 6.99
* SS/B .......... 7.00 to 7.69
* SS/C .......... 7.70 to 8.69
* SS/D ........ 8.70 to 9.49
* SS/E ........... 9.50 and up

While Mopar {Dodge} never released the actual Horsepower numbers
for the 1967 '440 Max-Wedge' in the 1967 Charger R/T

It was estimated to be pushing 415 Horsepower.

#3800 lbs. ~ 415 HP = 9.16 Wt/HP

Wow, those ports are huge

That's the same thing that Ed Kirk said.

He used to write for an old mag in the late 70's/early 80's called "Autobuff". It showed topless girls in bikini bottoms next to hot rod cars. He used to work at the paving company where we used to rent garage space next door to before we built our garage at home.

When my friend showed him the set-up his mouth dropped and he said, "Look at those ports..."

(He ran a 454 Chevelle, and was impressed with the Max Wedge ports...)

And those are the ultimate Max heads... 1964 Stage III... Check the numbers...

-
Back