440 RB question

-

Skeeter007

Skeeter007
Reaction score
Guys I have an opportunity to buy a 1978 440 and 727 transmission for a very very nice price.
8T440-E 4006630-44-3
Now I understand this is a low compression engine. I also understand that this should have the nice heads in her 452's. Also 440 Source said that the cast crank will be fine as long as I'm not drag racing from what I read.
But heres the questions.
I want to up the horse power on a budget.
Is this a piston, cam, lifter, head port/polish deal? Or is there going to be more involved here. I'm under the unserstanding that the rods are the same-ish as far as stroke.
So does this make sense:
Use current crank and rods.
Rework block as needed
Update the pistons to get a better compression ratio.
Update cam to a nice duration
Work the heads (452's) or buy some eddies
Single plane intake
4b 750 demon/Holly
Rear end?
Going into an A-Body (71 Scamp)

What kind of horse power could I realistically expect from a reworked 78 block? I would love to get in the 500 area but would be happy with anything over 400.

Guys it's a really good deal on the 440/727 real good. Spins too.

This will be my first build so any guidence or pointers would be helpful. If I can find a forged crank I will but for now this is what I have to work with. I have a machinest ready to go in the spring and will be picking the engine transmission up when the snow melts.
Going to be a fun build. Will have lots of pic's of the build. Hopeing to have the engine built by fall and the whole conversion done by end of next summer.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

A good ported set of 452s will easily accomplish your horse power goal.

A mostly stock 440 will make a horsepower per cube pretty easy and hold up well.

Leave the bottom end,alone. Get the heads ported,have the head porter,match a cam. Lay rubber,every where. You might want to,check out the chassis forums,next...,.

i agree i had a cast crank 440 that would run 11.60 all day in my 3600 pound 65 plymouth belvedeere II. it was a 440 i built with spare parts i had laying around.lol

oops sorry i look and i had the 1/4 mile times wrong. it was 11.70 not 11.60

...........If u offset grind the crank .060 u will gain over 1 point in compression and approx. 13 cubes......ofcourse u need .060 bearings......kim...

I built a 78 440. Pistons were .15 down. Ended up having rods resized with arp bolts. KB237 pistons, had rotating assembly rebalanced. Template ported 902 heads(came from a 74)

although everyone says the late 70's 440's and 400's are dogs in stock form they will outpreform a stock 318 very easily, I have a stock 400 from RV in a 1977 dodge truck and it works real nice, good on fuel too compared to 318 (more power)

You can get great performance from them. Assuming the rings are good - a cam in the 230° @ .030 range and do a template porting (like a stage 1 deal) with a good quality valve job with an eye to performance and you should be close to 400hp if not more.

Ok folks the engine and transmission are home. Lets see what I got here.

Now the engine I was told was a police interceptor. I don't know that it is or isn't and didn't want to debate it with the gentleman as I only paid $200.0 for the package. I've read and maybe wrong that the only difference was the crank and pistons. So lets take a look at the numbers. Also the plate show a weird looking graphic. Almost looks German.

I attached some photos to help verify what I have here.

I'm also wondering how to identify the 727 and what stall the torque converter is.

I can submit more photos on request.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be starting a new thread on my tear down and rebuild and finally the installation of all theses goodies. For now I just need to know what I have here.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 503
  • photo 15.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 476
  • photo 14.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 478
  • photo 13.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 471
  • photo 21.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 479
  • photo 18.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 484
  • photo 12.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 482
  • photo 9.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 480
  • photo 7.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 501
  • photo 6.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 481
Yup. Thata 440. The maltese cross says its got an undersize journal so look carefully at the bearins when it comes apart. The convertor looks like a factory high stall which should be around 1800 stall. If its clean inside just inspect it good. Sometimes worn original is better than thrown together new.

Yup. Thata 440. The maltese cross says its got an undersize journal so look carefully at the bearins when it comes apart. The convertor looks like a factory high stall which should be around 1800 stall. If its clean inside just inspect it good. Sometimes worn original is better than thrown together new.

I'm not sure what that means "undersize journal" is this a bad thing?

I'm not sure what that means "undersize journal" is this a bad thing?

Just means the factory had an issue while machining the crank and rather than scrapping the part they machined journals a little smaller than standard with bearings to match. You just need to be aware and use appropriate size bearings - depending on the work choose to do or not do on the bottom end.

Attachments

• markings.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 491
Looks like a winner to me! Just pay attention to what moper stated about the bearing sizes when you're taking it apart.

Same engine/trans I have in mine. Still running stock compression for now, but have a .484 cam in her, Edlebrock intake, Speed Demon carb and Schumacher headers. Added a 3000 rpm stall in the trans. Car runs good and strong and is a lot of fun!

-
Back