440 timing pinging and popping thru exaust

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

KAMSGTS440

Banned
Reaction score
Hi I recently was troubleshooting a starting issue with my 440 in my 69 Dart ended up finding that it was a wiring problem but changed out the distributor in process...had a friend that moved the distributor (big no no ) didn't know what the timing was set at and now when I romp on the gas it pings and when I back off on the dist it will pop thru the exhaust *never did those before my friend cranked on the dist...can anyone tell me at what I should set the dist at??? I have a 440 with 11 to 1 trw popups with a hemi purple stripe cam M-1 intake with a 850 double pumper and stock Chrysler electronic ignition...I was told this particular setup needed no vacuum advance when it was originally setup

The quick answer is to dial it back until the ping goes away.

What distributor was put in.

34°-36° at full advance maybe???

Get a timing light, fire it up and set the idle to 2800, set the timing at 37 degrees. Go test, if it pings do over, decrease by 1 to 2 degrees, do till ping stops.

Make sure you have the gas in the tank you want to always use

and when I back pff the dist to stop the ping it will pop thru the exaust

so your "friend" moved it, and you didn't move it back , or re-time it before you went "romping" on it? hopefully you didn't hurt anything. if you cant get the popping to go away, you might check for a bent pushrod or two, is it making noise? you need to get a light on it. once you have it dialed in again, take a sharpie and mark the distributor base and block in case it happens again.

Figure out how the set the advance curve in the new one, and then set it properly. You're the only one that can get your hands on it.

There's no one set spec for timing on something like that. You simply have to experiment with it until you get it right. If it really has that much compression, you can start at maybe 14 initial and 32 total and go from there.

73abodie don't be a smartaleck owning mopar since probably before you were born I know better than to crank on a mopar distributor but a dumb chevy guy wouldn't and yes I tried to reset it but since he turned it both ways I was not able to get it back to where it was initially set and the popping and pinging only happens under WOT...and yes I did put it under a light but what good is that without knowing just where to set this thing up at so I was wondering if anyone might have a similar setup with their 440 and could tell me what the appropriate setting was instead of snyde remarks like yours 73abodieadd

It does sound like there could be a secondary issue going on. On the one hand you'd expect the pinging to go away when you tried retarding the timing. - But when retarding the timing is causing it to backfire through the exhaust it would seem as though it's retarded too far. Maybe it's just a coincidence that a second problem showed up at that time but most people don't believe in coincidences. I think I'd double check the condition of cap and rotor first. Rusty's suggestion for timing should be in the ballpark for where you'd want to be. If you're running a vacuum advance I'd also suggest making sure that the vacuum line didn't crack when the distributor was being rotated. I'd also see if the advance plate is binding. You'd said that it backfired through the exhaust during WOT after you'd retarded the timing so maybe the distributor isn't advancing your timing anymore as RPM increases.

gotta get my hands on a digital timing light first...no timing marks to go by

?? You mean the damper has no marks on it at all? :pale: Not sure how you would set the timing at all even with a digital light...

Usually if the timing cover has the factory +10, -10* marks you can rotate the engine by hand and make extra marks on the damper so you can see the timing advance all the way up to 50 or 60* as that's what your total timing should be around WITH full vacuum and mechanical advance in operation

Did your friend by any chance hook up the vacuum advance, for you, too? Have you tried swapping back the original dist. or at least comparing the guts, between the two?
Theres another way to get the timing pretty close on Chrysler ecu equipped cars,without using a lite.

73abodie don't be a smartaleck owning mopar since probably before you were born I know better than to crank on a mopar distributor but a dumb chevy guy wouldn't and yes I tried to reset it but since he turned it both ways I was not able to get it back to where it was initially set and the popping and pinging only happens under WOT...and yes I did put it under a light but what good is that without knowing just where to set this thing up at so I was wondering if anyone might have a similar setup with their 440 and could tell me what the appropriate setting was instead of snyde remarks like yours 73abodieadd

Insulting people that are trying to help you isn't going to get you very far. I didn't get that out of his original post.

[ame]http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k[/ame]

Dumb Chevy guy... hmmm....

Ok, I'm confused. When did setting the timing on a Chevy and a mopar become 2 different processes? There is a pretty small range this thing can operate properly within. No marks on the balancer, well Mr. old guy, that can be fixed pretty easily. Since you have been in the game for so long, I'm sure you know what to do.

Plug the vacuum advance until you have this problem solved. It shouldn't be advancing via
the vacuum advance at WOT only light throttle conditions where it's making higher vacuum. Shouldn't be being the operative. It's just another issue you can isolate. ALso, make sure your dizzy is tightened down properly so it doesn't move when you are driving or romp on it.

Here's how I read the post: You have a timing issue creating the problems you have. You do not know what the distributor you have in there has for advances. You are not sure how that particular distributor can be adjusted (or if it can be). You have not stated what kind of distributor is in it... So my advice was to figure out how it adjusts, and then set the timing curve. Turning both ways is what you do before crossing a street - not how you adjust or actually set up a timing curve. My impression is the replacement distributor is not set up like your old one. Hence the inability to make it run like the old one did. Provide more details on the distributor you put in, and tell us what the timing is set up to now, and we can help you fix it. Possible appropriate settings were communicated but we have to know where you're starting from to tell yyou how to get there.

Yet he's worked on Mopars since before Lance was born and let a Chevy guy adjust his timing. But that's none of my business.

Call your speed shop of choice and get MSD timing tape set 8985. Use top dead center finder to find true 0 on balancer. Then just put correct length timing tape on balancer and say goodbye to unknown ignition timing. Remember to remove advance springs and replace with e-clips or such while setting total timing.

Search "Hillbilly timing tape" on the forum. Nuff said.

Search "Hillbilly timing tape" on the forum. Nuff said.

Thank you... :)

Got to have a timing mark to get an accurate reading.

Some people have a different delivery, but, they provide spot on advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back