440Source stealth heads

-

w2360Duster

No Patience
Reaction score
Ok guys what's the story on these units besides being made by China? Are they junk? Are they ProComp sold by 440source? Im thinking of doing up a 493 RB and just cant handle buying those square junks of aluminum Edelbrocks. Any one use these units and make over 600 ponies without extensive work.

Any help on this subject.

They work fine. If you port them they are capable of some good power and can make 600 without issue. They are basically ede style ports in a different package.

Like most aftermarket heads, go through them first and toss the spring/retainer package.

There was talk of the decks cracking in extreme hp builds like supercharged engines. I am probably buying a set for my 400 I am building.

There was talk of the decks cracking in extreme hp builds like supercharged engines. I am probably buying a set for my 400 I am building.

probably not the head i would buy for supercharging and extreme hp applications...but otherwise as Crackedback says...

They work fine. If you port them they are capable of some good power and can make 600 without issue. They are basically ede style ports in a different package.

Like most aftermarket heads, go through them first and toss the spring/retainer package.
Now looking at their web site they offer a Super Stealth in a bare casting i take thats more of a race effort design, im not building a race car but if its gonna be a 3900 lb Charger i should have some power. As said before i would rather keep the stock appearence thats why i don't want to use eldes. I heard way too much bad stuff about Pro Comp to even consider taking the chance.

If you want a stock looking head those super stealth would be the way I'd go. Get some good Ferrea valves, 2.19 or 2.25, and have them done up. You don't have to go nuts to get 600hp from a 500 incher.

If you want a stock looking head those super stealth would be the way I'd go. Get some good Ferrea valves, 2.19 or 2.25, and have them done up. You don't have to go nuts to get 600hp from a 500 incher.
They say the intake port is raised, would the intake manifold need to be modified.

Looks like it has a std flange on it. Maybe they just raised the interior of the port as high as possible, that's my guess from looking at pics..

I thought the Super Stealth had max wedge ports on them. Which would mean you would have to use max wedge intake and offset rockers.

..a friend bought the Source 400 stoker kit.(512 ?)
assembled it,put it in his drag car to break it in. ('70 Cuda)
..set the timing at 34,tweaked the carb and ran 10.7 all day
..now it's in his street Duster..crazy fast!

I have never used the Stealth head on a build. I did however order a single Stealth head in June 2010 for testing purposes. It might be easiest to refer you to here:

http://forums.moparmusclemagazine.c...iscussion/440-source-stealth-heads/index.html

Notice on the second page, in Feb, 2012, we had ported the Stealths to 346 cfm. The castings still seemed to be of good quality at that level of porting and probably could go into the 350 cfm range like we have with the Edelbrock RPM heads.

As to the Super Stealths, I have not yet been able to test one. It does however state on their website that it can use factory manifolds but will require .650" offset rockers. If I still lived in Lancaster, CA I would just slip over to their place on Ave J-5 and have a look at the heads.

Jim LaRoy
LaRoy Engines
Challis, ID

I have never used the Stealth head on a build. I did however order a single Stealth head in June 2010 for testing purposes. It might be easiest to refer you to here:

http://forums.moparmusclemagazine.c...iscussion/440-source-stealth-heads/index.html

Notice on the second page, in Feb, 2012, we had ported the Stealths to 346 cfm. The castings still seemed to be of good quality at that level of porting and probably could go into the 350 cfm range like we have with the Edelbrock RPM heads.

As to the Super Stealths, I have not yet been able to test one. It does however state on their website that it can use factory manifolds but will require .650" offset rockers. If I still lived in Lancaster, CA I would just slip over to their place on Ave J-5 and have a look at the heads.

Jim LaRoy
LaRoy Engines
Challis, ID

That was a good read, very much appreciated im not looking for an all out drag machine and im thinking these will fit the bill. I do live in Lancaster and might just run over there a bit later. thanks

440 source and Pro Comps, throw the hardware away. Same with Hughes (They all use junk).Three of my friends and myself,droped valves.Another friend had 2 sets of 440 source heads have the end rocker mount break off.They did warranty them. I have nothing against 440 source, just the heads.
Indy's are great, but even my buddies in Australia say service is bad, they talk down to you. Alky Diggers, says the same thing about them. There service sucks.
Edelbrocks any day over any of them.I am running old Hughes Bull dogs, one of the only 50 sets, which are now the Indy Ez 440 heads, or atleast they look the same.I like them.

i like the indy heads,only problem i have is there rocker arms,but was told i might have week springs and floating the valves

after reading this,what would be a good all out race head for the 440,im running indy heads now

What is "all out" to you? What application, power range, N/A, nitrous, super charged? My "all out" could be way less than your's.

Mid tex cuda
We have a spare pair (my friend runs them too). But one is broken in half (blown piston in other friends car). Mine even have my name imprinted on them!
I droped a valve once, it cost $600.00 to have repaired but looks good.

I'm running 10.30s with OOTB ports. I've been running them for a year and a half on a motor with 13.1 compression. No complaints.

-
Back