451 Stroker counterweights???

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
So I've been reading up on building a 451 stroker. I can get a forged 440 crank and 440 rods, pistons I can get off the shelf from KB and the guys at the local machine shop can cut the mains down. My question is do the 440 crank counterweights need to be cut down to rotate in the block without hitting the oil pan rail??? I thought I read somewhere that they do so I asked about it at the machine shop and they said they've never heard of doing that and they clearance the blocks. Anyone know if it's gotta be cut or will it clear???

It's not the oil pan rails. It's the main structure around the main webs. Some forged cranks have more of a tapered edge and they will only need minor grindong on the block to get the required room. No cast cranks will fit at all. Generally I used take off .200" from the counterweights. Now UI use Brandon's 440Source B wedge 3.75 crank. It's cheaper than the machining, is a better part, and is easier to internally balance.

Thanks for the responses, I will look into that other crank and see how cheap it is since I have to be all about the budget (whether I wana be or not)

-
Back