451 Stroker Turbo'ed????

-

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
Anybody done it?? or seen it done?? I was wondering what pistons would be suited for the application and what type to run, Forged? also what compression ratio should I shoot for? 8 5:1-9:1 I understand there are different combos for everything depending on heads and so forth, also Im really just looking to build a streetable 451 for my 72 Dart that would make around 550-600 horse and GOBS of low end torque, Im thinking one bigger turbo since I will have plenty of low end torque, Anybody ever used 440 truck manifolds for their turbo exhaust?? I was looking at a pair I have and thought flipped upside down they would make good canidates for a turbo manifold? Just throwing some thoughts out there. Thanks guy's!:mrgreen:

i built a streetable 451 with 10.5:1, aluminum heads , intake and headers and i am already in the 550 range with no turbo. Just some info for ya...I have seen a small block turbo setup that used manufolds upside down, so i don't see why it wouldn't work for a big block

yeah I understand that a 451 will generally make that kind of horsepower N/A but I will be using 452 heads with mild porting, and was thinking about using a Cam in the 480. lift range nothing buck wild, And I was always under the understanding that a turbo motor does not need as monstrous lift cam as a N/A motor because of being forced induction, as well as the heads, I have my block and crank at the machine shop and I am trying to line up everything before I start buying parts, I have found a program that I was thinking about purchasing a Performance Trends dyno program but it's dang near $500.00 for the one that calculates turbocharging and blower applications!

yeah I understand that a 451 will generally make that kind of horsepower N/A but I will be using 452 heads with mild porting, and was thinking about using a Cam in the 480. lift range nothing buck wild, And I was always under the understanding that a turbo motor does not need as monstrous lift cam as a N/A motor because of being forced induction, as well as the heads, I have my block and crank at the machine shop and I am trying to line up everything before I start buying parts, I have found a program that I was thinking about purchasing a Performance Trends dyno program but it's dang near $500.00 for the one that calculates turbocharging and blower applications!

8.5:1 is ideal for most applications. 220-30 Duration is more important than lift with a turbo. You want 114-16 lobe seperation. Power potential could easily exceed 1000 rear wheel HP with not much at all. Forged crank and rods are a must. Pistons are what cost ya!! I got pistons, pins, locks and moly file-fit rings for less than $1000.00.. I am using 906 heads ported and 2.14 int/1.88exh valves. I am sure you have seen my build! If not, read it... Going turbo will require a whole new idea on building a car! Totally different setup including Type of car, engine, trans, rear gear, fuel system, so on and so on!

Each setup is different from any other. May be your best interests to go twins due to the smaller downpipe! My single uses a 5" dp! That is unless your ride doesn't have inner fenders then that's not an issue. I am sure someone will chime in and tell you that a 4" will work but this "DOES" hender the performance of the turbine. You can use it for a mild street setup tho. I started the "Street" car thing but why do it twice. I went with the larger T6 flange and bigger hotside for a possible future turbo upgrade. They say its like "Crack"

I think you should read up on TTF. There is a load of info. there! Just be careful not to ask to many "Dumb" questions. Use the search bar and you can find just about anything on the site! Good Luck! Mine was suppose to have a budget. RIGHT!!!

-
Back