470 going to the dyno - HP/TQ estimates

-
There really isn't a point. I just thought it would be fun and I liked to read through other posts like this while I was building my car. I have learned a great deal by reading through comments from other members.
Alright alright. You talked me into it. lol

656 HP.

My 470 is heading to the dyno in the next few weeks and wanted to see estimates on numbers. Here is the details of the build:

400 low deck with eagle 3.91 crank and 6.760 Rods - balanced rotating assembly
Ross Pistons - 11.2 Compression Ratio
Indy SR Heads ported by Indy to flow 351 CFM @ .606 Intake and 233 CFM @ .606 Exhaust
Holley Street Dominator Intake that was extensively worked on
Cam is a Trickflow Hydraulic Roller - 296/ 300 Advertised duration and .600 lift

Dyno runs will be with a MSD distributor, Dyno supplied carb (I think he said a 950) and 2" primary tube dyno headers.

What is your guess on numbers?

View attachment 1716174271

View attachment 1716174272

View attachment 1716174273

View attachment 1716174274

View attachment 1716174275

Your testing will be far more accurate with your carb, your headers and your ignition.

If your headers won’t fit that dyno find another dyno.

Just between those three parts you can easily change your numbers by 30-40 hp

Do you remember what the part number for the Ross piston that was used

From what I’ve seen, koffles dyno is pretty happy. In other words it’ll show big numbers..

From what I’ve seen, koffles dyno is pretty happy. In other words it’ll show big numbers..

That's always my concern when making these random guesses.

I just keep looking at the cam specs, SD intake, even though worked, and modest compression. While it's got plenty of head, i just can't see it making peak torque past 4800. If the springs are up to it for 62/6300 rpm's, i'm going to go under most estimates to maybe 585 at 5900.

Don't want to be a downer, and this thing will be a mid/upper rpm torque beast, i just don't see a big peak way up high.

That said with a grain of salt, i hope you have a very successful dyno day and get close or even over your expectations.

Your testing will be far more accurate with your carb, your headers and your ignition.

If your headers won’t fit that dyno find another dyno.

Just between those three parts you can easily change your numbers by 30-40 hp
You are correct, but my final set up is Sniper XFlow system and it doesn't make sense to run that on the dyno

That's always my concern when making these random guesses.

I just keep looking at the cam specs, SD intake, even though worked, and modest compression. While it's got plenty of head, i just can't see it making peak torque past 4800. If the springs are up to it for 62/6300 rpm's, i'm going to go under most estimates to maybe 585 at 5900.

Don't want to be a downer, and this thing will be a mid/upper rpm torque beast, i just don't see a big peak way up high.

That said with a grain of salt, i hope you have a very successful dyno day and get close or even over your expectations.
Well, I actually tend to agree with you. The cam and intake will be the limiting factors.

To me the more info the better, whether track, dyno etc....

671hp @ 6400 rpm, 610tq @ 5300 rpm.

There was a few things but the worst of all was the rings butting and breaking the gap open wide. The engine had about 50 Dyno pulls on it though. The guy I paid to assemble it ( long story) just overlooked a lot of stuff. Head gaskets hung in the bore on some cylinders, the pistons are out of the deck .010 with .039 thick gaskets, the pistons were kissing the heads , the oil pump was partially blocked off from an fitting being in too deep. Cam Timing was advanced like 10 degrees, the rocker shafts broke because he put in the wrong bolts. Just a bunch of stuff .
Scuffed the pistons. I'm not remembering everything either.
Valve springs set up with some being 175 on the seat, some 140
Jeebuzz!!! Is there anything He DIDN'T F#*k up !?!?

You are correct, but my final set up is Sniper XFlow system and it doesn't make sense to run that on the dyno
Why is that? To me it makes even more sense to use and tune that on the dyno.

Yep I agree with testing the engine as it will be in the car too, that's why my new tti headers aren't pretty anymore lol but that was a 26hp increase over 2inch fenderwell hookers.

Why is that? To me it makes even more sense to use and tune that on the dyno.
I am really running it on the dyno to heat cycle a few times and check for leaks, then make a couple of pulls just as a baseline. Feedback from a few people I know that have dynoed sniper systems is that the engine dyno tune usually isn't that great in the car. I will probably have the car tuned on a chassis dyno with the full sniper system once all the bugs are worked out sometime this summer.

Yep I agree with testing the engine as it will be in the car too, that's why my new tti headers aren't pretty anymore lol but that was a 26hp increase over 2inch fenderwell hookers.
I hear you, but I don't want to run my tti headers on the dyno.

I am really running it on the dyno to heat cycle a few times and check for leaks, then make a couple of pulls just as a baseline. Feedback from a few people I know that have dynoed sniper systems is that the engine dyno tune usually isn't that great in the car. I will probably have the car tuned on a chassis dyno with the full sniper system once all the bugs are worked out sometime this summer.
Got it. Usually the dyno headers are sprint car style and worth a few HPs over the full length chassis headers, and the carb will be a few numbers better than the sniper at the top. So you’re numbers won’t be entirely accurate to what you’ll end up with, but a safe break in and leak check is well worth it if you’re having the sniper tuned later on a chassis dyno.

-
Back