470 Stroker - Anyone built one?

-
The cam is plenty big enough to make 550 in a 470. We just shipped out a 416 SBM with that same cam, light port cleanup on a set of SBM RPM heads and it made 520hp.

Yup Lunati has changed all the P/N and the PRICE to go with it.

The cam is plenty big enough to make 550 in a 470. We just shipped out a 416 SBM with that same cam, light port cleanup on a set of SBM RPM heads and it made 520hp.

But we're not talking small blocks Mike...lol

The two examples of 470s you cited both have solid roller cams and larger/better port heads. Which Victors were they on the 600hp one? Std or MW port? Do you have a dyno example of a B wedge with a similar cam and the stock RPMs that mde that kind of power?
I'm sure you wanted an example of possibilities, but the examples given have a lot more cam, and a bit more port volume.

There's not enough overall port volume or flow to the RPM port within that cam's sweet spot to make those kinds of figures. The Victor heads outflow the RPMs by around 10-20cfm in the .400-.500 lift range and are 90ccs larger OOTB.

As for what I would expect out of that cam - I'd expect to see it peaking around 500-510 at best given the heads and intake with a mild torque curve and bigger torque numbers. With Edelbrock's valve job, average machining, parts as listed, etc - probably closer to 490-500.
Ported I could see them doing it. Not in out of the box shape.

John, thanks for the advice, it would be a pretty time consuming and expensive exercise to ship an incorrect crank backwards and forwards! As I'm new to big block Chryslers, is there a company that you would recommend checking out? I've only really looked at the 440Source stuff, however a couple of guys back home in Oz reckon that the cranks are ok, but the rods and pistons arent really up to scratch. No use in buying a kit if I have to scrap parts.......

Hey cracked, your right, I reckon I should have a more precise plan power wise, so I reckon that I'll shoot for the 45orwhp mark. Considering it will be a pump gas car, i think this figure will be achievable, and more than enough for a regularly street driven car. If I get more out of it, then great!

Mike from MRl has been a wealth of information for me, and I've done some research into the cam and carb that he has suggested. In these builds though, its always good to get as much opinion as possible, so what do you think of the Lunati cam and the Holley? Also, what manifold would you consider for this?

I'll be getting a custom exhaust made by a great company here in Oz, so I'm sure that I'll be able to get header info out of those guys (Gonzo's Pipes, in case your interested!).

Still stuck on the whole Eddy Ally heads vs reworking the 452's that I have..........

It's not that the crank, rods or pistons are junk , the pistons are probably the nicest part of the kit , it's the finish machining that is suspect being the stuff is finished in China and you get what you pay for .

Call this shop , Performance Only Racing Engines and Talk to Dan , he is near West Palm, Fl. and he can ship you a TRULY ready to drop in rotating assembly for not a lot more than the source stuff.

561- 758- 6 6 0 4

Hey John, thanks for the heads up on the Source stuff. Being an international buyer, I dont mind paying a bit more for parts, as I only want to do it once, and not have to pay for rebalancing or finishing once it lands.

Do you have an email address and website for him? Can he supply other parts as well?

Wow, it doesn't have to get very complicated. Admittedly the example I'm going to use is of a 493 but a 470 won't be far off.

We built a customer a 493, 10.3:1 compression, very mildly cleaned up Edelbrock RPM heads (not even what may be called "Stage 1"), Erson hydraulic flat tappet 236/244 @ .050", .567"/.567" lift w/1.6 rockers, Edelbrock RPM intake, old 850 Holley.

566 hp @ 5,300 rpm and 630 tq @ 3,500 rpm.

Exactly. And that is a smallish cam, hence the massive torque. We did a very similar 493 a few years ago, but with a solid roller and it made 615/655. Rollers are definitely worth the expense in most cases.

My next motor will be a 512/400 as long as I can still use an internal pickup. Nobody cares if its a 400,451,470,498 or a 512 because all they have is your word anyway. So get as many inches as you can afford from the get go, especially for a pump gas street car.

Exactly. And that is a smallish cam, hence the massive torque. We did a very similar 493 a few years ago, but with a solid roller and it made 615/655. Rollers are definitely worth the expense in most cases.

I couldn't agree more Mike. I would use a solid roller in EVERY build if the people would let me.

Just curious would there be any significant difference in longevity going 512 instead of 470?

Hey John, thanks for the heads up on the Source stuff. Being an international buyer, I dont mind paying a bit more for parts, as I only want to do it once, and not have to pay for rebalancing or finishing once it lands.

Do you have an email address and website for him? Can he supply other parts as well?

Here is email , I can't find his website .

[email protected]

He can get you anything you want including sending you a complete and ready to run engine .

I tend to be a believer in full disclosure and my apologies because I'm feeling a little grumpy this morning
In the "it's not that hard" mode - What are your dyno setups? What headers are used? What do these engines have for crank driven accessories on them when you're doing your pulls? What are the water and fuel temps? Do you consider crank scrapers and race type oil pans to be "easy"?
How "easy" is it for the average Joe? I'm asserting that if you take a basic B wedge lower end, a street oil pan with a windage tray, belts driving the water pump and an alternator (we'll assume no power steering), and a set of non-equal length street car headers I can gaurantee you will not see those power figures and i'd venture to guess you won't see the 450rwp or the performance on the track he's asking about.

There's a huge difference in "making *** power" and making results on the dyno by freeing up crankshaft power and you guys know that.

BTW - I second talking to Dan. He's a great guy, a straight shooter, and builds one hell of an engine.

I tend to be a believer in full disclosure and my apologies because I'm feeling a little grumpy this morning
In the "it's not that hard" mode - What are your dyno setups? What headers are used? What do these engines have for crank driven accessories on them when you're doing your pulls? What are the water and fuel temps? Do you consider crank scrapers and race type oil pans to be "easy"?
How "easy" is it for the average Joe? I'm asserting that if you take a basic B wedge lower end, a street oil pan with a windage tray, belts driving the water pump and an alternator (we'll assume no power steering), and a set of non-equal length street car headers I can gaurantee you will not see those power figures and i'd venture to guess you won't see the 450rwp or the performance on the track he's asking about.

There's a huge difference in "making *** power" and making results on the dyno by freeing up crankshaft power and you guys know that.

BTW - I second talking to Dan. He's a great guy, a straight shooter, and builds one hell of an engine.

Greater disclosure huh? Factory hemi 6 qt oil pan, factory windage tray, 180 degree water, 180 degree oil. The fuel is at room temperature of the dyno cell. The headers were a dyno set we use for convenience on all our engines, 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" to 2" step headers into a 3" collector. Again for convenience we use a factory water pump driven by an electric motor.

Doing what others cannot do has become the normal around here. We pulled onto the chassis dyno once and the operator said, "What yah got? What do you figure it'll pull?"

Said I, "451 stroker with 906 heads on pump premium, it'll pull 500 HP."

Says he, "You do that and it will make everything we do look like s**t."

It went 528 hp and eventually 554 hp. Too bad about all his s**t.

They laughed at us when the other 451, RPM headed, pump gas engines with Hooker 5209 headers and crank driven water pumps made 585-590 hp on the dyno the day before and we said ours'll go 700 hp.

724 hp.

I can't afford to build my own race car. I'm an average Joe livin' on Social Security and building other people engines when they will let me. You just have to be smarter than the pile of iron and aluminum you're workin' on.

-
Back