470 TrickFlow 240 Solid Flat Tappet Cam Dyno Results

-

RAMM

Reaction score
Ok so this one was a long journey but a very satisfying one in the end. A young man showed up at the shop in the summer of 2017 asking about a big block build based on a 400 he had--said he had found me through some of the EMC magazine articles and wanted a pretty serious street engine for his 4 spd Belvedere? Polara? We set out a plan to build a 470 with a steel anvil reliable solid flat tappet camshaft and all the other street use dictated compromises. Pumpgas, decent stable idle, single 4 carb, and some decent RPM capability.....
At the time I was commissioned to machine the block and spec out a custom camshaft. So I line honed , decked, bored/honed, 1/2" Hemi p-u, oiling mods, installed coated cam bearings etc.... He ordered a 440 source 470 kit in the meantime. Sometime later he committed to using the TF 240's and the static compression came in a little too high with the Icon flat tops so I CNC'd a conical dish to gain a measured 4cc's for a final comp ratio of 10.78. The cam took me about a week of mulling over and is maybe a little unconventional.
Cam is 251/250 .593/.585 <1.6 113 LSA .020"/.016" lobe lift can be back calculated but the lobes are not all that aggressive in the name of longevity.

Fast forward to summer of 2021 and the customer now has the TF 240's and I offer to flow test them for my knowledge and I believe I posted here the flow numbers I recorded. They flowed pretty much what TF advertised which puts TF very high in integrity in my books.

Long story longer...The customer and his father assemble the engine and brought it to me for cam breakin and dyno--Yes outer springs only and I installed the innersprings after a successful fire up and automated breakin cycle. Here is a picture--Any guesses as to dyno results? Oh and the customers goal was 600hp with a civil idle and low speed driveability as he lives in a big city and sees a lot of stop and go traffic with some RPM as he wants to fool around with some of the high end exotics that are often on the highways in and around the big cities. I'll admit that I consider 600hp out of this kind of unlikely when you really see the sum of the parts. J.Rob

20220108_164404.jpg

That picture with the funky air filter and base was the final test that my carb guru wanted to try (who was on hand) and who is building a custom carb for this application. With the data from the widebands, air turbine, fuel flows from front and rear bowls and the use of the SF-902's steady state testing features we really can get a carb dialed in like no one else<<a bold statement I know. Any one want to guess on the change with that airfilter combo? J.Rob

my guess is 605 pre filter...612 hp after change.
Decent guess, no better than decent. This is the 2nd pull to 6000rpm after a timing bump from 33 to 35 degrees with the air turbine. J.Rob

p.s. For some reason I can't upload my photo. But it made 606 hp @ 5900 and 581 tq @ 4900-5000 rpm

If you don't mind. What were the numbers on the Trick Flows and what size valves? Thanks.

Best I can do is a picture of a picture, sorry for the poor image quality. This was the best pull with the addition of a 1" 4 hole Wilson and a switch to Petro-Can 94. J.Rob

20220109_103528.jpg

With that pictured air filter/velocity stack arrangement it made almost 620hp and 593 tq. This really surprised me. J.Rob

That velocity stack/filter arrangement MADE power over no filter at all, for the engine masters guys too. They had a salad bowl and k&n filter make five horsepower better than no filter, on a 700hp rat.

That velocity stack/filter arrangement MADE power over no filter at all, for the engine masters guys too. They had a salad bowl and k&n filter make five horsepower better than no filter, on a 700hp rat.
No it didn't make more power but it is noteworthy that it only cost 4 hp and 2-3 ft/lbs. This is like less than 1% loss. J.Rob

Some more pics the customer just sent me. J.Rob

IMG_20220109_110612.jpg

IMG_20220109_110435.jpg

Idle vacuum was a resonable 13.3-13.5 " @ 1080-1100 rpm.

Oh and after all the testing was done and the engine was still hot--cranking compression was 195-197 psi. J.Rob

Best I can do is a picture of a picture, sorry for the poor image quality. This was the best pull with the addition of a 1" 4 hole Wilson and a switch to Petro-Can 94. J.Rob

View attachment 1715850203
Not unexpected in the least. And with a ported dual plane I think you would have been up 50 lb-ft at 3,800 rpm.

Last edited:
Not unexpected in the least.

Really? I and the customer were totally satisfied when the first pull to 5500 rpm showed 601hp--the customer's father wanted to pack up and go home right then and there--Lol. J.Rob

Really? I and the customer were totally satisfied when the first pull to 5500 rpm showed 601hp--the customer's father wanted to pack up and go home right then and there--Lol. J.Rob
I edited my previous post to make it a little bit more juicy. I know what I can do. I think you deserve the same respect.

Not unexpected in the least. And with a ported dual plane I think you would have been up 50 lb-ft at 3,800 rpm.

Totally agree with this--the intake is quite large and racy--but the customer did not want a huge torque number down low either. J.Rob

Yeah it certainly is. J.Rob

251@.050”? Seems pretty standard these days, especially with a big block stroker. Not really apples to apples but the SFT cam in my iron headed, 416” small block is 259 @ 050”.

Care to wager how this combo might perform with a hydraulic roller? I have a similar combo with a hyd. roller waiting in the wings.

Theoretically a solid roller could be another 50 hp if everything was optimized?

251@.050”? Seems pretty standard these days, especially with a big block stroker. Not really apples to apples but the SFT cam in my iron headed, 416” small block is 259 @ 050”.

Care to wager how this combo might perform with a hydraulic roller? I have a similar combo with a hyd. roller waiting in the wings.

Theoretically a solid roller could be another 50 hp if everything was optimized?

Nope, don't care to wager at all--hate hydraulic anything these days. Sure 50hp is doable with a big solid with + .200" lift and duration-Why not? J.Rob

-
Back