4bbl intake for 318

-
I don't feel good. Any fool can throw numbers around. Where'd they come from? What's the source? I can make crap up for people to fall all over all day long too.

That's funny, I don't make stuff up. I've bought 3 performer intakes from the spring/fall flings. When I see them laying there, they usually ask 100 bucks and I can easily haggle them down to 60, they don't want to haul that crap home with them.

This right here is why I usually don't post a lot on here anymore, I didn't come on this site to prove myself to you old guys that obviously know it all. I came to show my interest in the Mopar community, and pass what little I've learned.

That's funny, I don't make stuff up. I've bought 3 performer intakes from the spring/fall flings. When I see them laying there, they usually ask 100 bucks and I can easily haggle them down to 60, they don't want to haul that crap home with them.

This right here is why I usually don't post a lot on here anymore, I didn't come on this site to prove myself to you old guys that obviously know it all. I came to show my interest in the Mopar community, and pass what little I've learned.

Did you post a price list? No. I wasn't even talkin about you. I was talkin about the price list. Where it came from. What its source is. I think it came out of his butt, personally.

You're lookin to get all butthurt over nuthin. I wasn't even talkin about you.

Did you post a price list? No. I wasn't even talkin about you. I was talkin about the price list. Where it came from. What its source is. I think it came out of his butt, personally.

You're lookin to get all butthurt over nuthin. I wasn't even talkin about you.

Ok my bad. You did quote my post though.

Now see I want to do this very thing but my concern is trying to adjust a foreign carburetor while at the same time trying to break in a new cam and its most crucial moment?and of course swapping the cam i would have to adjust timing also all at the same time. personally to keep in my own comfort zone and I'm speaking for me is not the greatest mechanic in the world but thoroughly capable. I was going to install the new LD 4 B with a new carburetor get it adjusted and drive it for a couple days then go through the extra labor of taking it back off putting in the cam and then just having to adjust the timing real quick and get the RPM's up to break in the cam.

That's all part of changing things all at once. Really the timing and carb shouldn't be a big issue. The timing can be preset at 10* and the carb float bowl can be filled and the idle screw can be opened up for a fast idle. 4 or 5 turns should get you 2000 rpm for a start. Once the cam is broke in let the tuning begin. Tmm

Ok my bad. You did quote my post though.

I was replying to you. I was telling you not to take stock in some BS thrown around numbers any idiot can make up. Just because the Streetmaster can be had cheapest doesn't make it the best choice. That's my whole point. A single plane intake is never the best choice for a mild street build, yet the OP bought his BS hook line and sinker.

I guess he wants his car to be 20 plus LB FT down on the bottom end compared to the stock intake, and that's cool. At least his engine will look good.

There's one for a small block on Ebay right now for 112 bucks with two days left. Even if someone has one somewhere for his quoted 85 bucks, I would pay 120 instead for a good non EGR stock intake first.

If you're not running a 3.91 or numerically higher gear and a loose converter, a single plane intake is a power killer. In fact, when there are intakes like the RPM Air Gap available, they almost make single planes unnecessary, except in all out race stuff like what would use a Victor.

Dual planes are better than single planes on the street Period. Always have been. Always will be. Everybody knows it. But some guy with a lot of blowhard nonsense spouts something off and a bunch of yall jump right over the cliff after him. He said nobody here has anything fast anyway. Even if that's so, which it's not, why the hell would anybody want to put some junk on their car to make it slower?

I'll give the Streetmaster one thing. Of all the single plane intakes, it's probably the one that will have more bottom end grunt, but it's still a single plane. I've seen IQ52 say "just run what you have" concerning intakes.....and he's right. BUT, IMO, with a mild street build, you don't want to let anything take away from bottom end torque. You want it optimized, and a single plane intake does not do that.

All of this of course is simply my opinion, based on my own personal experience.

RustyRatRod copyright 2014.
All rights reserved.

All rights reserved.[/QUOTE] lol Dang, now I can't copy that!

I was replying to you. I was telling you not to take stock in some BS thrown around numbers any idiot can make up. Just because the Streetmaster can be had cheapest doesn't make it the best choice. That's my whole point. A single plane intake is never the best choice for a mild street build, yet the OP bought his BS hook line and sinker.

I guess he wants his car to be 20 plus LB FT down on the bottom end compared to the stock intake, and that's cool. At least his engine will look good.

There's one for a small block on Ebay right now for 112 bucks with two days left. Even if someone has one somewhere for his quoted 85 bucks, I would pay 120 instead for a good non EGR stock intake first.

If you're not running a 3.91 or numerically higher gear and a loose converter, a single plane intake is a power killer. In fact, when there are intakes like the RPM Air Gap available, they almost make single planes unnecessary, except in all out race stuff like what would use a Victor.

Dual planes are better than single planes on the street Period. Always have been. Always will be. Everybody knows it. But some guy with a lot of blowhard nonsense spouts something off and a bunch of yall jump right over the cliff after him. He said nobody here has anything fast anyway. Even if that's so, which it's not, why the hell would anybody want to put some junk on their car to make it slower?

I'll give the Streetmaster one thing. Of all the single plane intakes, it's probably the one that will have more bottom end grunt, but it's still a single plane. I've seen IQ52 say "just run what you have" concerning intakes.....and he's right. BUT, IMO, with a mild street build, you don't want to let anything take away from bottom end torque. You want it optimized, and a single plane intake does not do that.

All of this of course is simply my opinion, based on my own personal experience.

All rights reserved.

:happy1: now who's ? Oh boy! LOL:happy1:

Hey Rusty

The 'OP' does not have a mildly built 318.

It's a stock 1973 318, with dual-exhaust and a double roller timing chain.

All he wanted to do, was spend the least amount of money to fit a Holley 600 Carburetor on.

He wasn't looking for performance 'pal'.

You should 'learn' on how to comprehend a posted response question.

Get a Grip on life.............

I know that. As such, I double down on my recommendation for the stock 4 barrel intake. A single plane on a stock engine. Yeah. Do that.

He's not lookin for performance? I tell you what I bet he really ain't lookin for. I bet he ain't lookin to squelch performance and that's what he's gonna do with the Streetmaster on a stock engine, but what do I know?

Hey Rusty

The 'OP' does not have a mildly built 318.

It's a stock 1973 318, with dual-exhaust and a double roller timing chain.

All he wanted to do, was spend the least amount of money to fit a Holley 600 Carburetor on.

He wasn't looking for performance 'pal'.

You should 'learn' on how to comprehend a posted question.

Get a Grip on life.............

$250 for a ld4b? I paid $50 for mine.

The Streetmaster will work fine.

It's not much different than the OEM single plane 2 barrel cast iron manifold but with a 4 barrel flange and lighter.

I double down on my recommendation for the stock 4 barrel intake. A single plane on a stock engine. Yeah. Do that.

Yes. A dual plane will run better on that 318 than any single plane. I've been sayin that all along, just stayed out of here for a while.

Run a dual plane on a stock 318 - period. No matter it be a stock dual plane or aftermarket. And the port mis match (if any) will not keep it from making an improvement over what he has now.

If the OP decides to run a single plane, then he will be disappointed with the results.

Yes. A dual plane will run better on that 318 than any single plane. I've been sayin that all along, just stayed out of here for a while.

Run a dual plane on a stock 318 - period. No matter it be a stock dual plane or aftermarket. And the port mis match (if any) will not keep it from making an improvement over what he has now.

If the OP decides to run a single plane, then he will be disappointed with the results.

I know you have. But we don't know anything. I guess we just gotta own up to it sooner or later. lol

The Streetmaster will work fine.

It's not much different than the OEM single plane 2 barrel cast iron manifold but with a 4 barrel flange and lighter.

Absolutely it will work. Nobody is really arguing that point.

But to compare it to the stock single plane is a stretch. First the Streetmaster and then the....I tell you what, lets compare apples to apples. Then the factory stock FOUR barrel single plane. That way, we'll at least be comparing four barrel intakes. Look at the difference in the runner height. The runner volume in the Streetmaster is tons bigger. Also, while the Streetmaster does have a small plenum opening, the actual plenum is about the same size as the Torker intakes and we all know what dogs those are on stock or close to stock engines. In short, the Streetmaster plenum is huge in comparison...even compared to the Thermoquad dual plane intake. Yes, the Streetmaster will "work fine". It won't run like crap. But, it could run so much better with a more properly matched intake, which the stock dual plane is.

Now, enough time wasted here. I have more important things to do. I gotta go take a dump.

Attachments

• STREETMASTER.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 318 INTAKE.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 220
Lastly, here is the 340 Spread bore intake. At first glance, you may think the plenum volume is close to that of the Streetmaster. However, since it's a dual plane intake, the plenum is cut in half. There's a divider that cuts the plenum right in two. That allows for greater bottom end torque, because there's not as much of a "gulp" if you will for the engine to ingest. That right there is the main difference between a single and a dual plane. Karl and I are not trying to argue, believe it or not. We're trying to help. But run what you want. In the end, it's your choice to make.

Attachments

• 340 INTAKE.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 210
But the Edelbrock Streetmaster is much prettier.

We're talking about a little weak 1973 '318' that is really going nowhere fast.

The 'OP" made the wise choice, and picked up a Streetmaster 318
for $90.

To Rusty, the Streetmaster plenum is tiny compared to the Torker plenum.

When you say no one is arguing that it will work, then why do you say it will squelch performance?

I just can't follow you when you make a comment, then write a lengthy reply a few posts later with contradictory information. Spending a lot of time defending your opinion when someone has a different one, I don't believe is helping the O.P.

Nothing contradictory about it at all. It's all in the comprehension. That's fine. Run with it. I don't really care. It's not mine.

I have a pure stock 1973, 318 stuffed in my 84 D-100. I found a small-port, cast-iron spread bore ,dual plane, manifold, and bolted it on with a small TQ. Very sweet.
A great combo of sure!

Did you get approval from Rusty before you did that ?

Bla ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!:violent2:

The only thing this thread has helped me decide is to just leave the 2bbl intake on my car. I'm sorry I ever asked the question

-
Back