4bbl/kickdown help

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok finally got Dads 67 cuda out for another spin tonight. Ran great except I cant seem to get it to kickdown or the 4bbl to open up. I followed the Factory service manual for adjusting the kickdown and no luck. It has a brand new 1405 Eddy carb, factory intake, 904 tranny with larger than stock stall...approx 2800 rpm. 8 3/4 3:23 gears. I have included a pic of the carb. I havent tinkered with it at all, just the idle setting. Is there some adjustment on the carb?? I tried adjusting on the threaded linkage. You can see in the one pic with my finger, the hole that you use to "align" the 3 holes.....Any advice??

Thanks
4spdragtop and ragtops pop

Attachments

• DSCF7542 (Medium).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 769
  • DSCF7545 (Medium).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 731
  • DSCF7548 (Medium).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 727
I just did this to my 360, had to rebuild and put my old eddy 600 cfm on it. Stock settings for kickdown didnt work for me either. I had to put another bolt in that long slot to use as a stopper. I "stopped" travel around 3/4" from the back side of that slot. Its aklot closer, but not quite right yet. Just have to keep tinkering to get right. I did push the carb linkage all the way back and adjust the kickdown linkage so I dont cut myself short on carb throttle movement. Then adjust kickdown linkage from there. Hope that makes sense??

So if I understand, you threaded the slot on further and put a bolt on approx 3/4" between the carb pin and the back of the slot?? So there was more of a slot behind (to the right) of the throttle pin?? It is sitting flush right now with the back of the slot. Also did you have to adjust the kickdown linkage(not shown in pic) that went to the tranny lever?

Thanks!

Part of the problem might be in the wording found in the service manual. It states put a drill but or similar through the hole and do this adjustment. It doesn't say ok now remove the drill bit before proceeding to the next step.
Seems there is always something different about aftermarket carbs though so...

Measure the travel of the pin on the carb from idle to full throttle. Than measure the travel of the hole in the arm on the trans from ildle to full throttle They should be identical. 2 bb arms are longer which take more carb travel . There are four pieces that are different from 4 bbl to 2 bbl
1. the threaded rod at the carb
2. the cable attachment bracket
3. the rod at the trans
4. the lever on the trans.

If needed I can show pics of the differences. All 2bbl parts can be modified to work on a 4bbl. Its just a matter of getting the geometry right. The thing to remember is Eye to Eye in all positions with no bind. The slot in the upper rod is only for throttle return in case of linkage bind. It is not needed to make the trans shift properly.
Again the trans lever hole and the carb pin need to be excact same amount of travel.

Hey OMM, I understand the throttle pin travel, now when you say tranny lever, you are talking the one that is mounted onto the tranny correct??

Thanks
Steve

-
Back