[FOR SALE] 5.2 5.9 magnum EFI plug and play harnesses

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
After talking to Mopar Action's Rick Ehrenberg, he told me some ideas for the flywheel for you guys that want Magnum EFI but want to keep your 833 trans....

1, sandwich the automatic flexplate between the crank and your flywheel. put the flexplate in position, then put your manual 130t flywheel over that, and bolt it down. the thin flexplate won't make any difference, and is the easiest way to do this. you then only need to cut an opening in the bellhousing for the CPS to fit through.

2, he said McLeod was talking about making a 130T flywheel for these applications and you should call them and ask if theyve done it yet.

3, take your 130T flywheel to a machine shop and have them cut the index notches into it. you should probably also take them the flexplate or the 143T flywheel so they can get it degreed exactly.

any of these will work in getting Magnum EFI into your car and keeping the factory 3 or 4 speed. Much simpler than any of us thought!

Thanks, Rick....and your awesome magazine and tech articles!

Sandwiching the flexplate wont work with a standard flywheel. Pictures are gone from the thread, but we talked about it here.

I think the easiest method is to mount the CPS up front and trigger it off either a plate on the crank pulley, or cut holes directly in the pulley.

There is a bellhousing that would allow you to run a 143T flywheel, from an early v6 Dakota with an A535. Pretty sure the only mod is you have to drill one hole to mount the A833 to it. No idea if it fits in a Duster, though. I don't really want to run a 143T flywheel, though.

Oh, and my apologies for asking a question that had already been asked (if you need a core harness). Guess I didn't read closely enough to see that it was already discussed.

great information, thanks!

I personally would go with the remachined 143T flywheel and pressing on and tacking a 130T ring gear onto it. Sounds easy and cheap to have any competent machine shop perform.

It's amazing the aftermarket has not stepped in with a cast 130T magnum notched flywheel yet. Ehrenberg said McLeod was talking about it but didnt know if they followed through yet.

i have an off the wall ? i just picked up a 1978 RV (25' kings highway w/35k miles and looks 5 years old) with a dodge industrial chassis and a 440. I have been away form mopars for about 20 years (even though i have had a 70 340 duster that sits...) i dont recall an efi bbm. It would be nice if i could convert this one tho... really just thinking out load here and looking for ideas, not trying to jack your thread but i feel i may be lol

Oddly enough, seeing your username here, i have been playing with fox mustangs myself most of that time (tho 4th gen fbodies seem to be an infection right now). i have at least 6 4 eyed foxes :)

After it's all said and done how much do you think it coast to get it all on the road????

depends on what you paid for the motor and trans, really. If you're smart and crafty, it's best to buy a wrecked donor vehicle and be sure you get everything, that way there's no multiple trips and nickle-and-diming at the junkyard. pull-a-parts seem to be francising across the country, that's where i got my entire setup for my Fury for like $250. fuel pump is about $35. Harness is $350. A crafty guy can change to EFI and OD for under a grand. If you're like me and hemichuck, you'll likely be able to part out the rest of the donor and end up with free stuff (I paid 600 for the donor for the test stand setup, sold 500 in parts, got 300 in scrap, and kept everything I wanted like the motor, trans, harness, computer....)

Jeff, sounds like a winter project! The hardest part of the whole EFI/OD swap (using my harness) is the floorpan mod, and that's no big deal. Bolt the motor and trans in, drop the tank and put the pump in it (no cutting required!), then plug the harness in and tap in a few wires and go. If I can get 20mpg out of a 4000lb fury with NO overdrive, imgine what your dart could do. Once I get the 3.73 rear in it, then I can use the OD. The car has 2.94's in it now, and with 3.73 x .69, I end up with a final gear ratio of like 2.55, which should be sweet for those nationals road trips!

Yes, the diagnostic connector is still there, and yes, the key on-off-on-off-on code retrieval still works with this harness so you can get the codes out of the computer to self diagnose

I have read both pages here. I have a 1978 Cordoba I would like to put fuel injection on. It is a LA 318 with A998 trans. Can I use this harness to wire it up also will a magnum intake work on the LA engine?

I have read both pages here. I have a 1978 Cordoba I would like to put fuel injection on. It is a LA 318 with A998 trans. Can I use this harness to wire it up also will a magnum intake work on the LA engine?

his harness is made for a magnum fuel injected engine; it uses a crank sensor which is very hard to mount to an LA series engine as well as the magnum intake which is a different bolt pattern then your LA engine

I however do a TBI kit which is fuel injection as well but only uses two injectors and no crank sensor its made for the LA engine

if you need to retrofit a magnum engine in a older car his is the best choice

if you need to run EFI on a stock or near stock LA engine I can help you there

his harness is made for a magnum fuel injected engine; it uses a crank sensor which is very hard to mount to an LA series engine as well as the magnum intake which is a different bolt pattern then your LA engine

I however do a TBI kit which is fuel injection as well but only uses two injectors and no crank sensor its made for the LA engine

if you need to retrofit a magnum engine in a older car his is the best choice

if you need to run EFI on a stock or near stock LA engine I can help you there

Isn't the MPFI better than the TBI?

Isn't the MPFI better than the TBI?

yes but its very hard to put MPFI on an LA engine without serious work, for one if you want to run a factory computer you have to mount the crank sensor in the rear of the motor with a hole in the transmission

then you have to figure out how to redrill the intake to the LA bolt pattern or find one that will accept injectors

it would be easier and cheaper to replace an LA with a magnum if going that far since mangums make better power in stock form

yes but its very hard to put MPFI on an LA engine without serious work, for one if you want to run a factory computer you have to mount the crank sensor in the rear of the motor with a hole in the transmission

then you have to figure out how to redrill the intake to the LA bolt pattern or find one that will accept injectors

it would be easier and cheaper to replace an LA with a magnum if going that far since mangums make better power in stock form

Thanks

yeah...

66plyvaliant is your guy if you want to use the 88-91 style, 2 injector, LA engine style of fuel injection. That might be the easiest way to go for you, but (and most would agree) TBI didnt really make much improvement over a carb, other than easier starting. power and mpg arent really there

if you want multi-port injection (the 8 injector kind), then my harness is what you need. you also need an actual magnum engine though. Its an easy swap, as it bolts in just the same as an LA engine. Just drop the Magnum in place, plug up my harness, splice in a few wires, drop the tank and stick a pump in it, and drive it. Lots more power, better mpg, easier starting, and cool looks.

I love my '94 Dodge ram 1500 but after 242K miles the motor (3.9ltr) is tired, piston slap. I dropped in a rewman. 5.2 i need a wiring harness and had no luck. it had front ABS, AC, manual tans. Only part can't find is the harness. Please help me! I've driven this truck all but ~100 milles myself. Please let me know if you can help!
LeeC

you could use my harness to do this, but what I'd recommend is just finding a 5.2 or 5.9 equipped 93-95 ram and pulling the harness and computer off of it. then you just unplug your old one, and plug in the junkyard one.

or, you could also get a wiring diagram for the 94 and just add the 4 wires from your computer to the extra two injectors(2 signals and 2 grounds), and keep your old 3.9 harness. then youd only need to get a computer for a 5.2 manual trans 94 ram. I'd try car-part.com, they always have some listed at various lots around the country.

I'd just add the 4 wires, but if youre not comfortable with wiring, I'd just find a donor harness

or, you could also get a wiring diagram for the 94 and just add the 4 wires from your computer to the extra two injectors(2 signals and 2 grounds), and keep your old 3.9 harness. then youd only need to get a computer for a 5.2 manual trans 94 ram. I'd try car-part.com, they always have some listed at various lots around the country.

I'd just add the 4 wires, but if youre not comfortable with wiring, I'd just find a donor harness

Mopar Action did a write up on this when they swapped a 5.9 into their v6 Dakota. Don't remember if he actually did that, or if he got a new harness, but he talked about how easy it was.

I've not done it, but it should be a no-brainer. the 3.9 is essentially a 5.2 with 2 less cylinders. the harnesses have everything in common but the lack of two injectors. You'd have to tap two wires into the common green/orange wiring in the harness (one to each injector), and run two wires back (one from each injector) into the computer at the appropriate pinout points. With a good wiring diagram (get a factory service manual, not a chiltons/haynes), even an amateur should be able to do it in an hour or two.

Then, just add a 5.2 computer from the appropriate year engine, although I've found all 92-95 magnum computers to interchange and run just as well as the others.

This thread got me to thinking; if I were to swap out the very worn out 360 in my 90 W250 for a Magnum, how much of a pain is getting rid of the TBI wiring and installing the Magnum harness? The truck is not worth the grief of a monumental rewire and ripping into the dash, but if it were a simple plug and play, I might be game. Getting this modified harness save enough of the conversion PITA to be worth while?

This thread got me to thinking; if I were to swap out the very worn out 360 in my 90 W250 for a Magnum, how much of a pain is getting rid of the TBI wiring and installing the Magnum harness? The truck is not worth the grief of a monumental rewire and ripping into the dash, but if it were a simple plug and play, I might be game. Getting this modified harness save enough of the conversion PITA to be worth while?

getting rid of the TBI wiring is easy, and if your game for selling your TBI stuff I will even give you a little something for the computer and throttle body as well as some of the computer plug-ins

you can then use that money towards the magnum wiring harness that 393foureyedfox sells

it would be about the same as removing a carbed engine and replacing it. just remove the whole motor and accessories and all the wiring that plugs into it. drop in the magnum. get a wiring diagram (factory!) for your 90 w250 and find the few wires you need to tap into, and solder/wrap the joints. you already have the efi lines and pump, just check the ratings on your 90 pump to be sure it puts out 45+psi. if so, your whole fuel system can remain, making it that much easier!

any other questions, feel free to ask!

doug

it would be about the same as removing a carbed engine and replacing it. just remove the whole motor and accessories and all the wiring that plugs into it. drop in the magnum. get a wiring diagram (factory!) for your 90 w250 and find the few wires you need to tap into, and solder/wrap the joints. you already have the efi lines and pump, just check the ratings on your 90 pump to be sure it puts out 45+psi. if so, your whole fuel system can remain, making it that much easier!

any other questions, feel free to ask!

doug

a TBI pump will not feed a MPFI system, although there rated at 40 PSI a MPFI pump is rated at 70 PSI and should have a rail pressure of 45-55

i run a 45psi pump (90 lincoln) in my tank and it feeds the magnum just fine (it was intended to feed a 5.0 ford efi after all). you do, though, need to pay attention to psi and volume of a pump. the factory regulator sends fuel back to the tank in excess of 39 psi, if youre using the factory rail as I do

sorry, i overlooked half of your question. the computer does require a crank sensor, which mounts between the block and transmission using two bolts on the block. To make this work with a 4 speed you would have to use a flywheel made for a dodge truck with a magnum engine, you can't use an LA flywheel. You'd have to use a magnum flywheel anyway though, as the balance is a bit different. A factory magnum flywheel is 143 tooth, so you'd need to make sure your bellhousing can handle a 143 tooth flywheel. that's where it can get tricky. I am not aware of (but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist) a small block 143 tooth bellhousing. I believe Lakewood make SFI approved ones, but quit last year, so youd be left to old stock or used ones. Other ideas I have heard guys do (but havent seen it personally) is to take the 143 tooth flywheel to a machine shop and have them lathe the ring gear off and weld on a 130 tooth gear. I've seen that info online, but never in person. I guess you could also take a MP magnum flywheel to your machine shop and have them cut the crank sensor "windows" into it.

so the answer is....maybe

the computer, engine, and harness don't care what transmission youre using. the hangup is finding a small block bellhousing that can accomodate a 143 tooth flywheel. I'll look into it more and get back....

thanks!
hey think for all the ideas and insight. I faned out the the ignition part of the wrong harness (see my email reply) found them and will replug the comput plug. You have been much help! folks who scoff at me staying true to the orginal design (mostly). Just don't get it. But that is ok. This is a restoration project nt a hot rod project. I do believe let the motor breath in and out. Thanks for the help! i get there there will be pics:cheers: thanks agin.
leeChurch

Ive been asked a few times if I would just sell the schematic.....

No, sorry

Even if I did, by the time you did it yourself, even with a wiring diagram showing you how to do it, you will have wished you'd just paid the $400 and had one at your door

I'm not asking a lot for these, I'm just trying to help pay my way through school

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back