5.7 Hemi swap on the cheap Tips and tricks inside.

-
now I see why I have had some requests for a "tubular K frame...along the lines of the ones I've built for the "old style" hemi. I can see this install suffers from the same problems of the older hemis...needs a BIG shoehorn......it appears the motor should come forward perhaps a 1/2'', move the steering shaft towards the shock tower maybe 3/4'',center the motor in the engine bay,for easier header installation...eliminate the torsion bars (coilover conversion), and relocate the lower crossbar (steering rack mount) so it doesn't interfere with the oil pump/oil filter and as Gomer would say..."Shazam"....am I missin anything...please let me know

cant wait, future plan is same swap in my 64 convert, hoping to find engine trans combo in a yard larry

now I see why I have had some requests for a "tubular K frame...along the lines of the ones I've built for the "old style" hemi. I can see this install suffers from the same problems of the older hemis...needs a BIG shoehorn......it appears the motor should come forward perhaps a 1/2'', move the steering shaft towards the shock tower maybe 3/4'',center the motor in the engine bay,for easier header installation...eliminate the torsion bars (coilover conversion), and relocate the lower crossbar (steering rack mount) so it doesn't interfere with the oil pump/oil filter and as Gomer would say..."Shazam"....am I missin anything...please let me know

i see your doing your homework denny. hope this shed some light on the situation for you

rich

The outer shell on the steering colum can be cut leaving just the shaft, and pleanty of room to clear the head.

reading other threads leads me to believe Bill at RMS has this scienced out already...and his K frame uses the bigger Mustang rack w/power steering...sounds like the "hot"set-up to me...A lot of people I talk to think it's a priceyset-up, but when you add up all the components....it's not bad. I"m sure Bill like myself could sell K frames ONLY for the desired price of around 5-6 hundred ,but its all the other components neccassary to make the conversion from rear-steer to front-steer in addition to the coilovers that gets the price up there.

hey...if it were easy ..their probably be a "bowtie" on it

On mine I cut the outer shell on the steering column. Besides that the power brakes bolted right on. Mine uses the smaller Dia Booster.

Attachments

• resize brake.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,420
  • 5-22-07 (4).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,449
what car did the booster come from? I might have to look at getting one. I am building my own motor mounts and would need it in order to make it work. Although it looks like you have to remove it to change the spark plugs. That will by a PITA. But worth it to have power brakes.

My booster is from an A body up to 72. Both my 71 and 72 demon have the same one. In 73 they went to the bigger flatter booster.

Attachments

• Duane pics5-22-07 (17).jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,330
Jeep SRT8 manifolds, fit like a charm, perform like a header (shorty).

Tincup.. You aren't using the factory K and steering, right? Jeep SRT-8 may hit the factory steering box.

Aaron

I'm hopeing I can get the passanger side ram manifold to fit around the gear box. Because if it will I'll be about as happy as can be. That means less fab work to make the turbos work.

Tincup.. You aren't using the factory K and steering, right? Jeep SRT-8 may hit the factory steering box.

Aaron

No, I have the Alter-K. Remember, jeep srt8 and regular srt8 manifolds are DIFFERENT!

No, I have the Alter-K. Remember, jeep srt8 and regular srt8 manifolds are DIFFERENT!

I know they are different. I have a set of JGC SRT-8 manifolds. With a stock K and steering box, I think it hits. I'll have to double check my test fit pictures.

I have a pair of NEW in the box, polished, block wrap Hemi header that would work great set up 4-sale for $150

hows the project coming i'm doing the same project a 5.7 w/5 spd auto pull out from a 2004 donor durango i have the ac delete and 45 for the oil filter from hotrod lane. oil pan and pickup from summit, cold air kit and stock hearders off a 6.1l and a 1966 dodge dart gt convertible that is being brought back from the dead...still working on sorting out the wiring harness, can gat it to start but won't stay running.....:headbang:

Attachments

• 69 firebird 66 dart.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,250
  • 69 firebird 66 dart 001.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,258
Garageman, welcome to the club, I would love to see some pic's of your build. There are not many early A + Hemi builds on here.

that brake booster is your standard after market power brake booster,usuall sold for the street rod world,,,usually has a GM master cyl bolted to it,,,

mopar performance use to sell, and probably still available thur mancini and others, a off set brake booster bracket for the A bodies with the monster 426 hemi,,, that off set bracket would move your brake booster over towards the fender and clear the 5.7 head im sure,,,

the steering column can be modified,cut and section the outer tube,shorten after you cut it reuse the bearing end and reweld it together,or just shorten it,,,find a bearing with the same I,D as the O,D of the shaft and weld it to the end of the shortened column tube,,,then cover the end bearing with a torsion bar grease boot, no one will ever know and you have plenty of clearance[/COLO

i will be following this and refering back to it for info. I just picked up my hemi today and was going to tri to start it on the floor but i only have a small block bell and the oem hemi starter wont mount to it. will the oem small block starter work against the auto hemi flexplate? just for a floor fire/ compression test or two?

tried to pull start it but i broke the rope that i was using off my weed eater...:mad:haha

hows the project coming i'm doing the same project a 5.7 w/5 spd auto pull out from a 2004 donor durango i have the ac delete and 45 for the oil filter from hotrod lane. oil pan and pickup from summit, cold air kit and stock hearders off a 6.1l and a 1966 dodge dart gt convertible that is being brought back from the dead...still working on sorting out the wiring harness, can gat it to start but won't stay running.....:headbang:[/quote]

i beleive that some of these PCM's have a security feature that may be your issue with the engine shutting off....it can be programed out .. justa thought

-
Back