5.7 Hemi's Throwing rods?!

-
Thanks Dude. I have a 2033 Quad cab Dak. with possible thoughts dancin in the head to dismantle a 360 4X4 Durango that fell into my lap. Remove the V6 for the V8, the entire system. Don't know about the rear axle housings up front or in back yet.

Interesting what they did in Eurpoe with the 4.7. Nice to see thinking minds at work.
A HEMI swap is out of the question....so sez the wallet.

But back on topic. What HP or seriously nice HP parts are out there for the new HEMI?
I am very behind on what is new and up to date on these engines. Not to mention, what I did read, I forgotten allready.

Rods
Cranks
slugs
etc........ what is out there?
what do you want? the sky is the limit. my motor currently has cam, ported heads, and will be installing twin turbos soon. but you can get stroker kits, nitrous, superchargers, you name it and its out there, it all depends on cost

hey there mopar fans....i have a 2004 dodge durango and up until last friday thought the world of this rig. now it is just a broken down car. i believe it has either bent a rod or cracked a piston or both. haven't pulled it apart as it is just too cold outside to screw with. i remember reading a while back that dodge/chrysler built the 5.7 liter hemi with powdered metal rods. they probably have changed this over time. i thought it to be a strange way to build a rod but they do these things all the time. but i think it is catching up to them. not sure what i'm going to do now. probably pull the motor and see if i can rebuild it. it looks like a mother to pull but i have time. nobody going to give me anything for it so might as well keep it. i know i will be using forged rods for sure. well thought i'd add my two cents worth. what a pain. gues i will be buying a kia....

hey there mopar fans....i have a 2004 dodge durango and up until last friday thought the world of this rig. now it is just a broken down car. i believe it has either bent a rod or cracked a piston or both. haven't pulled it apart as it is just too cold outside to screw with. i remember reading a while back that dodge/chrysler built the 5.7 liter hemi with powdered metal rods. they probably have changed this over time. i thought it to be a strange way to build a rod but they do these things all the time. but i think it is catching up to them. not sure what i'm going to do now. probably pull the motor and see if i can rebuild it. it looks like a mother to pull but i have time. nobody going to give me anything for it so might as well keep it. i know i will be using forged rods for sure. well thought i'd add my two cents worth. what a pain. gues i will be buying a kia....

How many miles on it??

Every manufacturer on the planet uses powdered metal rods. They are a decent rod for moderate everyday use. I have built 5.7's with lots of power on stock bottom ends and no issues. The weak link is the bolts not the rods HOWEVER in manufacturing there can be an issue with the powdered metal that causes premature fatigue. I however would be willing to be on your Durango you either had a valves let go or a ringland separate.

I have had 4, 5.7 HEMI powered vehicles.
All driven hard, no concerns in any of them.
I use Mobile 1 / 5W20 in all of them & a MoPar oil filters. I change the oil on average @ 10K miles.
No problems with any of them.
I sold my sons truck (2004) last year with 167K on it, to a friend of ours.
If this truck was going to break, he would have been the one to do it.
Since Chrysler is wanting oil change reciepts, I would guess the problem is probably neglect or the incorrect oil being used.
The quick lube place I use, still doesn't stock 5W20. I have been using him for 5 years now, I just bring my oil & filter to him.

My last motor had 130k on it and there was no ring ridge and still had most of it's crosshatch on the cylinder walls and it was BEAT hard for those 130k

Thanks Dude. I have a 2033 Quad cab Dak. with possible thoughts dancin in the head to dismantle a 360 4X4 Durango that fell into my lap. Remove the V6 for the V8, the entire system. Don't know about the rear axle housings up front or in back yet.

Interesting what they did in Eurpoe with the 4.7. Nice to see thinking minds at work.
A HEMI swap is out of the question....so sez the wallet.

But back on topic. What HP or seriously nice HP parts are out there for the new HEMI?
I am very behind on what is new and up to date on these engines. Not to mention, what I did read, I forgotten allready.

Rods
Cranks
slugs
etc........ what is out there?

Pick me, pick me.... Lol, I want to see a 2033 Quad cab Dak.

-
Back