5.9 Earthquake In VA

-
I seen the epicenter was near Louisa,VA. I was just through there on Friday morning going to my first delivery before heading to Florida....and now this hurricane's coming.

So I had the garage door up and I was leaning into the trunk of the Barracuda when I felt the car move...or was it me? Then I heard the roll up garage door over my head shaking in it's tracks and thought, "uh, thats a heavy door, I hope it doesn't come off it's tracks and come down on me and the cars". I stepped out of the garage but by then the shaking had stopped. First time I've felt an earthquake in Virginia.
Talked to a buddy who I was supposed to meet for dinner tonight. He's 34 miles from the epicenter, and he's cleaning up all the stuff that came off the shelves. Mostly a collection of diecast cars and tractors. He hasn't even gone out to the detached garage yet to make sure nothing had fallen on his 71 340 Duster or 68 Fury convertible, but he knows the 70 Challenger RT in the attached garage survived. Also called another buddy who lives even closer. He was on the road driving home from Massachusettes, and didn't feel anything. He's still a couple hours drive from home. I hope their house and his 67 Charger and his wife's 69 Hemi Super Bee are okay.

USAJon,

After the 1911 earthquake in Long Beach, CA, brick was discouraged from being used in new construction unless it was reinforced. Pictures from that era show a lot of brick rubble strewn about the streets.

Shouldda been a 9.0 centered under congress.

I am at Ft. Lee VA now, in a five story building, it was cool. First for me! The entire building had to evacuate, it took about 7 minutes to clear the building, WAY to slow, pretty funny!

I got to see a bunch of tier racks shakin loaded with Dr Pepper products. We thought somebody hit one to hard with a forklift. That doesn't happen too much in WV.

Stroker Valiant: We were laughing about how long it would it would take some jackass in Plano to order Earthquake Drills

I felt it here in lower Michigan!!!!

I didnt know it at the time though.

I was sitting in my computer chair and all of a sudden it felt like my chair was rocking and swaying......after about a minute it was gone.

I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me at first and I wrote it off.

now here it is a couple hours later and I see all the news reports on the earth quakes and what not.

crazy.

Was driving work truck when quake happened and didn't notice at all. Started hearing news reports and was shocked. Hurricane possibly on the way & a rare east coast quake, WTF. Got home & house was fine but all kinds of stuff came off the shelves in my garage, not hitting car luckily and my wifes plants in backyard were knocked off her table. WOW.

Oldschoolcuda

USGS earthquake. Posted this a few minutes ago. We felt it all the way down here in NC

My coworker felt it here in Anderson SC. I was behind the shop weed eating so all that noise and vibration I couldn't feel a thing.

There was one awhile back that the epicenter was in Arkansas. I was fixing to get up out of bed that morning to start my day. It felt as if someone was at the foot of the bed shaking it back and forth slowly. I swear I thought someone was doing it and scared s*** out of me!

Aug 23, 2011 Forest Glen , Maryland earthquake damage
Nice house Jon. I'm glad those didn't hit your cat or car!!

We actually felt the tremmers in Wisconsin...

Geezzz!!

Out in the garage sanding the duster when I heard the tracks of the garage door shake so I stood up thinking earthquake because we have had one hit here where I live about 2 years ago. Then I went outside of the bay door and it really started to shake. I thought it was pretty cool but not my first experience in Md. I swear it felt like the shaking lasted for at least a minute.

i felt it in philadelphia. The car on my lift was shaking. my boss thought someone was one the roof walking around because our roof was vibrating. But once the cars started to shaking we all knew it was an earthquake. We were kinda hoping the power or something would go out so we could get paid for the rest of the day and go home..lol...

I would set up a poll on what color Obama's shorts are now. Then I remembered he's on vacation again , Maaathhhas Vinyerd no less. Can I get an Amen

...At least with Hurricanes you know they're coming!!!

That's the GOOD thing about earthquakes. You don't have anytime to worry or be afraid. Usually by the time you realize your having one...it's done.
Now the long "rollers" that last more than just a few seconds are another story. You've never realized just how long 20-30 seconds is until you've spent it with the ground shaking. You begin to wonder when is it going to stop.

I would set up a poll on what color Obama's shorts are now. Then I remembered he's on vacation again , Maaathhhas Vinyerd no less. Can I get an Amen

Wait and see...he's going to blame the earthquake on Bush and the Republicans in Congress.

Wonderful part is that now the hurricane track is shown to make landfall right over my house!!! Wheee!!!

Like I said earlier, now you've got it all! Tornadoes, Blizzards, Hurricanes, and now Earthquakes. Oh, my!!!

Felt it here in Newport News. Hurricanes coming too, WOW what a month this is shaping up to be!

Isn't Hurricane Irene fast moving too? I last read on the computer that it's suppose to skim Fl and hit in SC.

I'm in a military building, you would have thought the evacuation would have been alot more organized and speedy, but it was sad. Had this been a builing fire, i would have dove out the window and had some broken legs!!

Stroker Valiant: We were laughing about how long it would it would take some jackass in Plano to order Earthquake Drills

-
Back