5.9 FI Magnum swap in 73 swinger

-
ya know, now that I think about it, I didn't have the full exhaust hooked up at the time, just the manifold down pipes. I'll have to check the pressure when I get back to the engine stuff as I've changed the fuel pump as well. I'm running the walbro in the consulier and an el cheapo airtex e2000 in the duster now and it seems to run better.
I'm working on getting the glass back in...this weekend :D

Man what a hell of a build! There is a lot of very useful information here! Congrats! Motor sounds really healthy. I've been really enjoying my dart since the swap. I drive the car almost every day to work, and it has turned in to my long distance driver as well! Lol

Thanks everyone!! Badass71, my build is no where a cool as yours is but thanks!!

So a few things to update for future magnum swappers! Learning the hard way ;)
I had a HUGE problem with the motor breaking up after 2500rpm. Could not get it figured out for the life of me. I was leaning towards thinking that it was my PCM because it is an AUTO trans pcm, and is throwing the transmission codes. Well before I ordered a new one, I checked the fuel rail PSI. And this is what I learned.....

The motor im using is from a 1998 Jeep, and therefore uses 1998 Injectors. I was using a 93 Dakota fuel rail because It has the fuel pressure regulator attached to the fuel rail and did not require adjusting. This was my whole "breaking up" problem.

The 1998 Injectors/fuel rail require 49PSI at the rail at all times.
The 1993 Injectors/Fuel Rail and FPR are set for required 33 PSI at all times.

I'm not 100% sure as to what all the other years required, but I found out the hard way that you have to make sure you have the right PSI for the right injectors!

Also found out my adjustable fuel pressure regulator I bought at a swap meet isn't bad, it just needed to have a return port and line added. Got mine set right now at 50PSI, and after cleaning out my fuel filter, it runs even better than in the video above!

Temp, motor was staying right around 198 degrees, I just changed the thermostat to a 160, and the motor stays solid at 158 degrees!!! Even down here in our 98-100 degree weather idling! Highly recommend a V8 Grand Cherokee radiator and fan for this swap.

I just re-read the thread and realized that I never said what I did with the fuel system.....

So here it is, I took the stock jeep's fuel pump out of the fuel pump assembly. Then with small bar steel, and some hose clamps, I made a mount to go into my 8 gallon fuel cell. I drilled 2 holes in the top, and ran a fitting above and below the top of the fuel cell. I also added a fitting for the return line.

I have -6AN line from the pump, to a -6 fuel filter, then -6 all the way to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Then -6 from regulator to the fuel rail. I also ran a return from my fuel pressure regulator to the stock dart fuel line. For this i used 3/8 soft fuel line with hose clamps due to it being low pressure.

I used this fitting for the fuel rail. NOTE 95 up fuel rails are 5/16, 94 down should be 3/8.

Russell Push-On EFI Fittings 644110 (5/16)

RUS-644110_ml.jpg

I will be buying a stock fuel tank in the future, and most likely adding a setup like rapid transit's. I am going to try one thing, I still have the stock fuel tank from my 92 dakota, I'm going to see if it fits in the dart's stock location first.

Nice build.
Nice meeting you today.
On the way home at the 249/Louetta stoplight I saw a gold Duster with black stripes down the sides (with green+white old school Texas plates).

I forgot to ask you what fuel pump you ran for the Magnum but this post lays it all out.
Cool!

I got mine fired up the other day. No fuel pump yet, but at least it will run for a few seconds with fuel poured down the throttle body. Wiring was way easier then I had anticipated. Here is a video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the build, you will love it! The efi drivability in an old body is just a kick *** daily driver combo. I did a 5.2 magnum swap in my boat fury four door a few years ago and put 5000 miles on it in a summer, which was more than the previous five years I owned it! Don't go external fuel pump though, that was a lesson that I learned the hard way on a 100 degree day...:banghead:

Good info here. I've been looking for a Magnum 360 to swap into my '65 Barracuda and found that my Brother-in-law has the same jeep you've used and agreed to donate it to the cause... Thanks for the wiring diagrams!

Well...... previous owner of my 73 called me up, said a friend of his wanted it. They made me a very good offer and now she is under the care of another owner.Had a blast with this car and learned a ton. On to the next one I guess LoL, perhaps another Magnus swap!

D100 - was really good meeting you! Yell at me next time your going to coffee and cars!

-
Back