5.9 Magnum flex plate too small??!?!?!?!?

-

wes beem

Reaction score
I was told that i need to use my factory 360 magnum flexplate to install the motor in a an a body with 727 transmission and that id need to wallow out one of the bolt holes, but theres no way in hell this flex plate will ever fit, if you line up one hole all the other holes are completely off the the flexplate alltogether, its at least an inch too small in diameter, if you line up a hole the center piece is way off...need help what do i need????
50827962_1975748865827605_3237647713247952896_n.jpg
51032885_2206225849594360_603843595471945728_n.jpg

someone says my flex plate will only work with a 10" bolt circle torque converter...does anyone have one theyed like to part with for $?

What is the OD? I have a couple I could measure here, at least one was a 5.2

Check with ur friendly neibourhood tranny shop. What year is the tranny? If ur tranny is 1967 and newer u can find a converter easy, if 1966 and older u will likely have to get one made. PTC, Ultimate, dynamic can build u one. Ur converter is called the 091 which was found behind all low performance cars. The 764 is which u need. It has the higher stall speed. The 764 was put behind most hi performance engines from 1968 to 1975 or so. Kim

To be clear, you are installing a late 5.9 Magnum with an 727-A small block trans ? Maybe you needed a weighted flex plate. The flex-plate that you show has the windows for the distributor less ignition.

I have used the B&M units to mate things up. I never had the OE flexplate from a Magnum to donwhat your trying to do even though what I read is it will work. The B&M part is about/around $100.

Are you keeping the factory fuel injection or planning to run a carburetor?
If you are keeping the fuel injection, you'll have to get a different converter with smaller flex plate pattern.
If you are going carbureted you can still get a converter with small diameter.
You could also get a cheap neutral balance flex plate that has the pattern you need, like sold at 440Source.com and some other vendors, then line everything up and transfer the weight from the Magnum flex plate to the same location on the neutral flex plate. You'd have to get it the same distance from crankshaft centerline and same position in regards to crank rotational position.

If you want to be the guinea pig, you could get the neutral balance flex plate from 440Source.com, then cut out a notch to remove weight to make it Magnum balanced.
I have one of the B&M flex plates that is Magnum balanced, and I could mail you a paper template to cut the notch. B&M no longer offers their Magnum weighted flex plate, but the one sold at 440Source is cheap (NON SFI approved for racing) and says it has the large pattern that uses the smaller 5/16" bolts like your converter. I have not tested this method yet, so that's why I say you'd be the guinea pig.
Solid Flexplate - 6 bolt - Neutral balance. New-440 Source

I have my stock non lockup 727 converter. I had it in my dart behind a 5.9 magnum. It's dated 2014 And shows to be a 2500 stall. It worked fine, I removed it to install a custom PTC converter. Shipping will be high. Probably around $70. Let me know if your interested.

Just measured the outer most bolt circle of the B&M 10242 flex plate, with correct Magnum balance. The outer most holes are 11 inches apart. That should be the same measurement of the 12 in diameter torque converter, but measure the converter to be sure.

I have my stock non lockup 727 converter. I had it in my dart behind a 5.9 magnum. It's dated 2014 And shows to be a 2500 stall. It worked fine, I removed it to install a custom PTC converter. Shipping will be high. Probably around $70. Let me know if your interested.

is it a 24 spline?

Are you keeping the factory fuel injection or planning to run a carburetor?
If you are keeping the fuel injection, you'll have to get a different converter with smaller flex plate pattern.
If you are going carbureted you can still get a converter with small diameter.
You could also get a cheap neutral balance flex plate that has the pattern you need, like sold at 440Source.com and some other vendors, then line everything up and transfer the weight from the Magnum flex plate to the same location on the neutral flex plate. You'd have to get it the same distance from crankshaft centerline and same position in regards to crank rotational position.

its got 4bbl carb intake, I just can not for the life of me find any TC's or fleex plates that i know will work. it has to be 10" bolt patter, 24 splines, non lock up, low stall....its so damn specific...driving me insane.

making me wanna send the whole thing to the crusher and forget about it

There are two bolt patterns from the factory. One for the 11.75 converters and one for the 10.75 converters. A factory 10.75 (or smaller aftermarket) converter should work with your flexplate.

u Can also check at any tranny shops that are around u. I would recommend PTC, Ultimate or dynamic. U can’t go wrong getting a converter from any of them. A good converter is 1 of the best upgrades u can do to ur car. Kim

A couple of things that I see by their photo and their ad. First, where is the ring gear? What engine is it balanced for: the 400/440 or for a 360? Maybe it's just me, but unless they can be more specific as to the application, I'd be cautious on ordering this converter.
From the description, it to me, is just a stock rebuilt converter, that would have the factory stall between 2200/2500 rpm. There is also no mention if they rebuild converters or just purchase them from someone like Transtar. JMHO

If you want to be the guinea pig, you could get the neutral balance flex plate from 440Source.com, then cut out a notch to remove weight to make it Magnum balanced.
I have one of the B&M flex plates that is Magnum balanced, and I could mail you a paper template to cut the notch. B&M no longer offers their Magnum weighted flex plate, but the one sold at 440Source is cheap (NON SFI approved for racing) and says it has the large pattern that uses the smaller 5/16" bolts like your converter. I have not tested this method yet, so that's why I say you'd be the guinea pig.
Solid Flexplate - 6 bolt - Neutral balance. New-440 Source
I just got the 6 bolt neutral balance flex plate from 440 Source and this thing is much heavier at 1989 grams than an equivalent B&M 10230 at 1567 grams.
The part from 440 Source has the same bolt patterns and the same diameter as the B&M part, but it's thicker and that makes it much heavier.
Not sure when I'll get to it, but I still plan to notch this one and see what it takes to get it to factory Magnum 360 balance weight.

Last edited:
I also just compared the B&M 10230 at 1567 grams to a B&M 10242 at 1389 grams, and they are the same diameter, same thickness, and same bolt patterns, as expected.
Looks like I can definitely use the 10242 as a template to properly notch the 10230 to proper Magnum 360 balance weight.

Smaller-diameter stock converter should work, I bolted up a 5.9 flex plate to my old 904 just with a little ovaling to one hole. Also the Magnum flex plate goes the other direction, the outer ring goes toward the transmission so if the bolt "plates" on the converter don't all fit inside that ring it's not going to work.

The smaller converter was (obviously) higher stall but not by a lot maybe 300-500 RPM. IIRC for the 727 the smaller converter came behind 318s, 340s and (I think) 383/400 4-bbl engines. Most 440s and 383/400 2-bbls got the bigger converter, can't remember which the Hemi got but that's not too relevant lol.

-
Back