500+ci Builder

-
Received my 3rd engine builder bid so I have the numbers and builds to compare. For the records all bids were less than $8750. Also was able to gather several recipes for my performance specs so I am indeed a happy camper. Appreciate your inputs and your pms. Once the engine is built and dyno'd I will return to this thread with the results and costs.

Update:
I have ordered my motor, 526 ci, 12k warrantee, 2000 down remainder upon delivery, cost was less than 8.5k. Delivery in 6-8 weeks. I will be present for tuning and pulls. Motor will include carb, dist, wp, no starter or fp. Will publish dyno results and maybe a video. Bottom line, there are builders capable of delivering a 500+hp BB stroker for $8,500 just takes some looking. BTW, the bids were all from quality builders some advertise on this site.
:wav:

This is within your budget and blows your numbers out of the water and it is more reliable. You could build something like this complete for less than your 8500$

[ame]http://youtu.be/6Ux_0zeEG9I[/ame]

526 same as me who u going with?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

CME. There were other very good builders that were within my budget but the main reason why I chose CME is they give a guarantee and with 2 grand down gives me much more leverage should any unforeseen issues arise. They have been around for 30 years, BBB rates them A+ and they are no stranger to the racing world with several championships and a number of national titles under their belt.

I'm happy with the choice.

First, I don't want to build anything.

Second, I had an open invite to anyone to give me a bid, why didn't you?

1st - I didn't post that to piss you off. I did it so you could see what is out there is all…. AND someone else can build you that combo, very simple and easy. It is a STOCK 383 with a Turbo, no Intercooler and a carb. Shoot, they use to give 383's away!

2nd - I only build my own stuff!

Have fun and have at it! :burnout:

1st - I didn't post that to piss you off. I did it so you could see what is out there is all…. AND someone else can build you that combo, very simple and easy. It is a STOCK 383 with a Turbo, no Intercooler and a carb. Shoot, they use to give 383's away!

2nd - I only build my own stuff!

Have fun and have at it! :burnout:
If you would read through my entire thread you will find that what you have is not what I wanted.

Glad you found a builder! Post up some vid from the dyno room when you can!

I don't know why everyone makes it sound so hard to build an affordable BB stroker. I remember when one of the mags did a write up on a Hale Performance build when the BB stroker craze first started taking off. It was a simple 4.15" crank build, stock rods, template ported 906 heads, 750 vac sec Holley, very streetable, and made pretty close to the numbers (508hp but can't remember the TQ #'s) you were after with a little .484 Purple Cam. I remember it ran 11.24 in a 3300 pound car with 4.10's and factory truck torque covertor. The KISS principle was applied and it worked.

Anyways, keep us posted!

Glad you found a builder! Post up some vid from the dyno room when you can!

I don't know why everyone makes it sound so hard to build an affordable BB stroker. I remember when one of the mags did a write up on a Hale Performance build when the BB stroker craze first started taking off. It was a simple 4.15" crank build, stock rods, template ported 906 heads, 750 vac sec Holley, very streetable, and made pretty close to the numbers (508hp but can't remember the TQ #'s) you were after with a little .484 Purple Cam. I remember it ran 11.24 in a 3300 pound car with 4.10's and factory truck torque covertor. The KISS principle was applied and it worked.

Anyways, keep us posted!

I assume they will allow me to video as they were very welcoming in having me observe. Costs now, according to a general inventory I put together, totaled out around $6,500 so I allowed for $2K in labor. That's how I arrived at my $8,500 figure allowing for a $300 core. I'm sure I missed a lot of bits and pieces but by the same token I'm sure the builders probably see a little parts discounting too. Mind you, my inventory was composed of what I considered to be medium quality parts but were recognized brands.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Most people that build or having a engine built have an idea on what parts they want to go in their build. When I have something built or done I research and spend my money accordingly.
Case in point, when I had my Max wedge Stage VI part number P5249579 heads ported, I wanted them done right, balanced and by Someone that knows these heads and what they are doing. I had Jim Laroy,IQ52 do the work. There are a lot of "head porters" that will take your money, but that doesn't mean they know what the hell they are doing.Right?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Most people that build or having a engine built have an idea on what parts they want to go in their build. When I have something built or done I research and spend my money accordingly.
Case in point, when I had my Max wedge Stage VI part number P5249579 heads ported, I wanted them done right, balanced and by Someone that knows these heads and what they are doing. I had Jim Laroy,IQ52 do the work. There are a lot of "head porters" that will take your money, but that doesn't mean they know what the hell they are doing.Right?

Certainly I do but because I've set a limit on cost I'm not able to dictate brands and because I set performance objectives I'm not able to specify parts specifications. Don't get me wrong I would love to but then that would take the builder off the hook in meeting my performance and budget requirements. I have faith that CME will deliver a motor that will exceed my expectations.

Quite honestly my requirements puts them in a relatively tight box. As an example, pump gas limits thier ability to play much with the CR. Aluminum heads force them to aftermarket and budget will hold them to moderate cost heads. I know they use roller rockers so that leaves them choosing cam and rocker ratios which I would guess would be a dual profile with lifts in the .540 range, duration around 230-240, and maybe a LSA of 110 given my vacuum and converter limits. To get big torque numbers down low and to keep costs down I would assume there will be little head porting, probably gasket matching and some bowl blending and valve unshrouding but nothing to really increase flow volume. I ask for a dual plane manifold if possible and I'm sure that the carb will be around 800 cfm. I know they use MSD ready to run distributors and Quickfuel carbs. If I'm not mistaken they use 440 source rotating assemblies which in my case would be a 4.375, and Meldon HV pumps. Really don't know much beyond what I stated here.
Hope that clears things up a bit?

As a heads-up I will be observing the testing and tuning of my 526 stroker the 24th of this month. Will take some videos and have copies of dyno sheets on what Carolina Machine Engines were able to assemble for $8,300. They say they should, for my combination, produce over 525+ hp at less than 5500 rpms and pull well over 600tq before 3000. I will either publish the results on this thread or start a new one or both.

As a heads-up I will be observing the testing and tuning of my 526 stroker the 24th of this month. Will take some videos and have copies of dyno sheets on what Carolina Machine Engines were able to assemble for $8,300. They say they should, for my combination, produce over 525+ hp at less than 5500 rpms and pull well over 600tq before 3000. I will either publish the results on this thread or start a new one or both.

See the results thread for the CME motor

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=283147

-
Back