500+ci Builder

-
Good luck with your plans. I look forward to following the progress.

Yes, I will definitely keep this forum updated on my results.

BTW, I still would enjoy hearing what type of recipes members can come up with that would satisfy my engine performance goals within those limits I imposed.

Here this one is for free. 'Cept it's a little over budget.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,77977.0.html
I have a number of build lists for 600-750 hp but just can't find anything for 1 hp per ci. Build costs go up significantly as the HP goes up. Did not think it would be that hard to find specs on a "modest HP" build.

I wonder if maybe I could get some comments using some generic specs and see what members think or would that be to argumentative?

Talked to my Ryan Johnson and he specs out this for a 512 stroker making 550 hp on 89 octane

440 block
K1 technology rods and crank
Keith black pistons
Iron heads
Crane rockers
Indy intake
A really nice 1050 4 barrel carb
Decent headers

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

To me, a "1hp/inch" build does not apply to a never-factory-offered build. I.E. 500" mopar. Once you go outside factory parts the pricing I think is more accurate would be for a 440 that has to make that 550hp. Because you're buying parts you might otherwise refurbish, your modifying parts to move the air you need and buying larger components, your spending time engineering parts to fit into the block, you're doing more just to get it together. A 1hp/inch 440 can be built very solidly, for about $5000. A 1.25hp/inch 440 (550hp) will cost another $4K plus for more cylinder head, better pistons, better rings, more block reinforcement, better pushrods, better rockers...

Certainly possible. My combo is a 4.15 stroke in a 400 block for 500 ci. Made 550 HP at 5100 rpm and 610 torque at 4100 rpm, with pocket ported 452 heads. Torque was over 550 ft/lbs from 2700 to 5200 rpm. Cam is a comp hydraulic roller 236/242 duration 541/544 lift. Intake was a Holley Street Dominator with a 750 DP, but a Performer RPM would work the same. I am in the process of changing to Edelbrock RPM heads. The stock heads flowed 250 cfm but nosed over after 400 lift. The eddies keep climbing, so I'm interested to see what difference they make in total HP and rev range. It wont go back to the dyno, but I have a good baseline at the track to compare to. Price, who knows, I never added it up.

My buddy just let me know they finally dyno'd a 512 they were building which was very similar to mine. It had edelbrock rpm heads and intake and one step smaller comp hydraulic roller 230/236. It made 550 HP and 660 torque, and was already over 600 ft/lbs at 2500 rpm. Don't have any more details yet, but that is some serious torque.

Talked to my Ryan Johnson and he specs out this for a 512 stroker making 550 hp on 89 octane

440 block
K1 technology rods and crank
Keith black pistons
Iron heads
Crane rockers
Indy intake
A really nice 1050 4 barrel carb
Decent headers

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad
Any specs on cam, cr, head flow, etc

To me, a "1hp/inch" build does not apply to a never-factory-offered build. I.E. 500" mopar. Once you go outside factory parts the pricing I think is more accurate would be for a 440 that has to make that 550hp. Because you're buying parts you might otherwise refurbish, your modifying parts to move the air you need and buying larger components, your spending time engineering parts to fit into the block, you're doing more just to get it together. A 1hp/inch 440 can be built very solidly, for about $5000. A 1.25hp/inch 440 (550hp) will cost another $4K plus for more cylinder head, better pistons, better rings, more block reinforcement, better pushrods, better rockers...
You got to start somewhere and it's not as if we are breaking new ground.

My buddy just let me know they finally dyno'd a 512 they were building which was very similar to mine. It had edelbrock rpm heads and intake and one step smaller comp hydraulic roller 230/236. It made 550 HP and 660 torque, and was already over 600 ft/lbs at 2500 rpm. Don't have any more details yet, but that is some serious torque.

That's what my research is pointing out also. I assume pump gas, cr in the 10s? Still got this nagging question concerning flat tappet vs roller cam. Makes a lot of difference in cost.

That's what my research is pointing out also. I assume pump gas, cr in the 10s? Still got this nagging question concerning flat tappet vs roller cam. Makes a lot of difference in cost.

Compression was kept to around 9.7:1. I lost a flat tappet cam and wiped out an engine, so it was a no brainer for me. The hydraulic roller works very well.

I have a number of build lists for 600-750 hp but just can't find anything for 1 hp per ci. Build costs go up significantly as the HP goes up. Did not think it would be that hard to find specs on a "modest HP" build.

I wonder if maybe I could get some comments using some generic specs and see what members think or would that be to argumentative?

Cubic inch don't build hp, air flow does, larger Cid engine just gonna make lower rpm Hp. A 550hp 500+ engine is probably similar top end parts list as a 550hp 440 just gonna take a 1000 less rpm to do it. I'd start with heads selection at the 2 cfm per hp rule would put you at 275 cfm heads but I'd look for a head that flows around 300 cfm at a reasonable lift to be able to go with a slightly smaller cam and compression ratio. Once you pick your heads you can zero on the cam needed. Since you want a lot of lower rpm torque a ported eddy rpm intake or something similar.

Cubic inch don't build hp, air flow does, larger Cid engine just gonna make lower rpm Hp. A 550hp 500+ engine is probably similar top end parts list as a 550hp 440 just gonna take a 1000 less rpm to do it. I'd start with heads selection at the 2 cfm per hp rule would put you at 275 cfm heads but I'd look for a head that flows around 300 cfm at a reasonable lift to be able to go with a slightly smaller cam and compression ratio. Once you pick your heads you can zero on the cam needed. Since you want a lot of lower rpm torque a ported eddy rpm intake or something similar.
We have to assume 'All things being equal' concerning more ci creates more hp. I do like your thoughts on airflow though. So as an example if you need 275 cfm and your heads will flow that at .600 lift then you cam needs to lift .600 generally seeking, then what about duration and separation?

275 or 285 at 110 should be in the ballpark, but if want to ring every last hp out of those heads you'd go higher obviously or lower if you wanted more of a stock mannered engine depends exactly what you want. It's all about compromises.

We have to assume 'All things being equal' concerning more ci creates more hp.

Depending what's you consider being equal is ?
A 440 and 512 making max power at say 6500 rpm yes the 512 will make more hp but will need more head flow $$ than the 440 will. But ultimately it's air flow that's the difference there the 440 will be flowing less fuel and air through the engine at 6500 than the 512. But spin the 440 up to 7500 and they have the same potential. I think of an engine in dynamic displacement which is a running engine, Static displacement is a non running engine.
(512 × 6500 ) ÷2 = 1,664,000
(440 × 7500) ÷2= 1,650,000
At the same VE is a equal amount of air being pumped through each engine.

500 or more inches, 525 HP.

Design it for free.

Build it cheap, $8,500 or less.

Put it in a box.

Label it "Txxx in a Crate".

Hey, this could be a whole new line of engines! Wait, wait, wait, what about CME or BluePrint engines...........I think they already have this covered!

http://www.cmengines.com/Engines/PerformanceStreetEngines/tabid/63/Default.aspx

http://blueprintengines.com/index.p...ler-493-main/item/chrysler-493-base-bpc4931ct
Thanks for the Blueprint link, I'll give them a call.

Drama, epic, man you must lead one boring life.

All this drama over something as easy as building an engine.

Buy yourself a book an some tools an do it yourself.

I built my first one at 17

And you get the pride of knowing you did the work and didn't farm it out.

I built my 1st one at 16, in my apt. bedroom.....no books

You might want to start at the beginning of this thread to understand the issue. I no llonger have the time, tools nor the inclination. BTW congratulations on building your first engine at 17 you had to have been very proud. Buy a book great idea, wish I had thought of that before. If this threat is so boring why do you spend time reading and replying?

You might want to start at the beginning of this thread to understand the issue. I no llonger have the time, tools nor the inclination. BTW congratulations on building your first engine at 17 you had to have been very proud. Buy a book great idea, wish I had thought of that before. If this threat is so boring why do you spend time reading and replying?

You got time to post on hear ,you got time to build yourself an engine.

Sorry you can't afford what you want

And sorry you can't get your *** off the couch and do the work yourself

Farm it all out ,including having some one drive it for you:tongue2:

You got time to post on hear ,you got time to build yourself an engine.

Sorry you can't afford what you want

And sorry you can't get your *** off the couch and do the work yourself

Farm it all out ,including having some one drive it for you:tongue2:
I'm very sorry that I got you upset. Please forgive me. I'll take your advice and start working on a motor immediately. Once I'm finished could I ask you to drive it for me? Thank you for all you sound advice you are a real credit to this forum.

-
Back