500 cubes

-

danielb927

Reaction score
How much does it cost to get a 500 c.i. engine in a 73 Duster? Right now it's a 360, basically no exhaust, not sure what the rear end is, 904 tranny that I'd assume I'd want to replace. I know there's probably not a way to say you want a 500 c.i. street car, but that's the idea, low compression and something I could cruise in, if that's even possible. Not going to drag it more than a couple times a year maybe, for fun, but it's my dream car (at least, a big block mopar is). What's a big-block stroker swap usually run?

To start do you have a B/Rb block. If not your looking a at least $300-700 for a block. The stroker kits start at $1800, then your looking at the cost of machine work for the block to put the stroker kit in and assemble botom end $3000, unless your do the assembly yourself. Then the heads need done, valves and springs $400 The cost for motor mount swap kit $165. A big block 727 transmission and another driveshaft, the cost on these depends on used or new. You will at least need to have an 8 1/4 rear, better to have an 8 3/4. Hope this helps for rounded off $$$.

Thanks 68, so it sounds like it's in the 8-10k range. Looks like I'll be saving up at least one more summer for this one. I'll be sure and start a build thread when it gets going! I'm hoping I'll be able to get it done over a summer, but we'll see how that goes.

my suggestion since your saving up is to look for a low milage new yorker in a salvage yard get the complete car. it will have everything you need except tube headers. this will be the best approach to get your hotrod moving and completed. there is alot of things to do to get one of these motors in an a-body. now when you have it done start saving for the 500 incher because you will have more the motor in than the entire hotrod.

Rear might be an 8 3/4... But for a decent engine, rebuilt trans, all the "stuff", I'd expect to spend at least $10K doing the work yourself if the car has nothing now.

Don't forget bigger rad, tranny cooler, sub frame connectors, at least an 8 3/4 with snubber, discs if you don't have them, bigger torsion bars, front stabilizer, new fuel tank (cuss the old ones probably full of crap) and 3/8 fuel lines. Done from scratch I'd say at least 10K.

Thanks guys, just checked the rear end and its a 7.25. Too bad I'd have to replace it, it's one of the only things on the car that doesn't leak! It's going to be a long time before I can go to the big block I think. In the meantime, is it worth going limited-slip in a 7.25?

Then add another $1500 for an 8 3/4 with new center and brakes... Give or take...

If I can find an 8 3/4 in a junkyard somewhere would that work, and replace the guts with limited slip?

If it was me, I would replace the axles, plus the sure grip, then rebuild the brakes. All you really need are the case and backing plates, and good drums if you can get them with it. You can also contact Cass Eslick. Google Dr Diff. He can set you up with anything you could possibly want or need.

If it was me, I would replace the axles, plus the sure grip, then rebuild the brakes. All you really need are the case and backing plates, and good drums if you can get them with it. You can also contact Cass Eslick. Google Dr Diff. He can set you up with anything you could possibly want or need.
on a 7 1/4 ?

Got a 440 Dart put together for about $500 once. Ahh, the salad days. If you want everything new, then that costs. If you want a 440 A-body running, that's much less. I've gotten a '69 440 on Craigslist for free once. Just get one running, then build another motor as money comes. I do see that parts prices vary dramatically across the country. How much can you do yourself? Do you weld?

Can't weld yet but I'll probably pick up some experience with it this spring. I would love to be able to weld up my own exhaust, or at least know enough to tack the headers in place and take them somewhere for finishing.

I love big block abodies and it can be done for cheap or you can do a "skies the limit". Mine would be cheap if I hadn't go carried away with the front end. I think it is going to be about $10,000 total including the paintjob which is not too bad to run 11s on the motor/10s on the bottle.

I do have some relatives down there so if I'm there with a way to bring it back I'll let you know!

THis is what I am doing too! Towards this end I traded a car for a 78 Newport. Thereis a thread here about yanking the drivetrain but I wont go there,lol. In short I gained a car that had the 400 etc.

Im also clearing room for headers by removing the inner fenders completely and installing a 1 piece tilt nose. Room for headers is at a premium with A bodies and it just gets worse with the 400. Dont mean to rain on your parade or anything,but be ready for limited header selection.

I have about $5200 into my 500 cu in big block (400 based) including machining, and I bought used parts where I could. I still have about another $500 to go to get the rest of the parts for the engine. I went with a 9.6:1 compression with 440 source aluminum heads. I still need to do everything on the trans. Then I had to upgrade the suspension.
I have an 8 3/4 out of a C-Body that needed to be cut to fit the wheels I wanted, so I got a 3/4ton truck Dana 60 for free and bought axles from Doctordiff ($365 to my door). Figured it would cost the same as doing the 8 3/4, but you get extra insurance that it will last.
Pretty much once everything is done, I will have about $8K into the engine/ trans and the required chassis upgrades, doing all the work myself.

-
Back