500 stroker?

-

arkansasdave

67 notch
Reaction score
I have been looking at what I want to power my Barracuda with on my current build it had a 440 in it. It is a 67 notch back but I ran across this stroker kit for a 400 that bumps it up to 500 cubes it comes with a crank, rods, pistons, bearings and rings for 1600.00. I would have more clearance under the hood for headers, etc. and weight about 65 lbs. less I think up front. Anyone used one of these or know anything about them?

thanks,
Arkansas Dave:-D

There is a LOT more to it than that. I would suggest you do a bit more research, and if you want honest answers, post a realistic budget, and what's in the car now for a package now.

Well I have read everything I could find on them I was just curious if anyone had any experience with one. From what I read other than just normal cam, lifters, heads, etc.. the main thing was clearancing the block to make room for the extra stroke. and the crank, pistons and rods were the main differences from the normal set up. The setup out of the car is a fairly stock 440 mag with an auto 727. I probably will replace everything but the block I use on the new motor, I am still not certain what I want to use yet I haven't decided. I have lots of small block stuff and some big block stuff. I figure the big blocks will make the most power for the money with out working to hard to make it verses the small block but the weight is a little of an advantage on the small but I figure the 400 B block with aluminum heads, intake, fiberglass fenders, hood and nose should make up the difference enough. I plan on mainly going straight and passing any Chevys, Fords or anything else that gets in the way. At the drag strip of course.:-D I am building it simular to what a superstock car would be you know the type. I don't want to cut my fenderwells if at all possible I just want them as full of rubber as possible. But I am building it for show too, so I want it to be a fast piece of candy! LOL thanks for the reply moper I appreciate it.

AD

Oh yeah I forgot the budget I am just going to build whatever it is until I'm done. Work plenty of O.T. and buy parts until done. I figure I will keep it in the 4-5 thousand range for the engine.

thanks,
AD

a "B" block in an "A" car is certainly the way to go for ease of installing. the heads will be the deciding factor on if you have to use fenderwell headers. a "B" motor with tti's and indy non raised exhaust ports will work. a "RB" motor with 440-1 heads tti's will not work but will if using non raised exhaust ports.

my buddy has the 512ci stroker kit for his 400,get the block machined to 40 over and the kit is a virtiual bolt in,the only clearance issue is for the oil pick up tube you can do that with a dremel tool yourself, put it this way he has the kit from a place called 440 source, with indy max wedge heads and intake,a nice cam, and a top notch top end,motor put out 668hp and 685ft lbs,in a 70 duster,runs low tens on pump gas!!!

Not enough money to do it with aftermarket heads... The RB is a bit different in terms of longevity and design. As are head choices in terms of headers and intakes. They include all the same parts, but they require a little more in terms of packaging.

-
Back