$5000. car what do you think

-

johnnycuda

JohnnyCuda's 68
Reaction score
Hey guys i know this is an a body forum but i think you guys can appreciate this 71 challenger 383 rt now has 73 440 block 727 8 3/4 3:23 rear. VIN IS JS23N
ac works runs drive lots of rust not looking to restore just drive what do you think $5000. firm

If you're not looking to restore it and looking for something to drive then I would buy a nicer car. Look for a nicer a-body or something. E-bodies are overpriced... but if you really want one... then I suppose you could buy it. I think it's a little much still though... but who knows, yet again it IS an e-body. haha

I would sand it down and paint her up looks good might be expensive on gas if you have to driver far though

It's gunna take a lot more than sanding it down and painting it though....

I think the decal on the back window explains it all...Too overpriced and not in driving condition. Unless you enjoy copious amounts of body work, then you would be wise and pass.

I would see if he has any bigger pictures we could look at!

Seriously, looks like a project, not a driver.

still not priced too bad for an E-body. If that car was around my area before I bought my duster I would of been all over it. Especially for a 71

I dont think Ive ever seen chrome peel off a bumper like that. kinda wierd

also is it a real RT

It,s an E-body,and yes there wanted cars,but for $5K,right now you can buy a car(A-body)done,complete,V8 for $5K and drive,show tomorrow.If you want to restore that car?After $5k plus?$$$(I,m gonna say $10K)easy off the top of my head,go for it.See you in a year or 3.Good Luck!

Thanks For The Input Guys I Tried To List It On The E Body Site But I Could Not Get My Password Retreived.

No Definetly Dont Want To Restore Cost Way Too Much I Can Buy One Finished For That Cost It Does Run And Drive Air Still Works Good Beater No?
THE VIN IS JS23N RT 383

I wouldnt buy it if you're going to use it as a "beater"... thats what civics are for... leave it for someone who is gunna restore it

If its a real RT than $5k is a really good price! If its not, its not a bad price either for a '71. But that one is in need of restoration. Just the rust visible in that picture is going to mean panel replacement, and if the floor and frames look like I think they might its going to be a lot of replacement panel/frame section work. Maybe not, but its far from a driver. Looking at the shadows under the front I would say it looks like upholstery hanging down. Just because it can be driven doesn't mean it should be, or thats its safe to!

Based on what I've seen, and my own Challenger, if you want an E-body in driver condition you're going to have to spend around $10-$15k depending on how nice it is and what year/engine combo it has. My car was at the lower end of that range, and while I have been driving it (around 5,000 miles now!) it still needs a driver's side floor pan patch and a few other goodies. Even at over $10k for a purchase price I still have around $4k into it for things that had to be done. That includes some upgrades like tubular UCA's, LCA's, big rotors and torsion bars, but it would have needed a full suspension rebuild regardless. Big rotors don't cost more than the stockers, so some of the upgrades cost (like the UCA's and LCA's), but some of them are pretty price neutral vs. stock. Hell some are actually cheaper because they AREN'T stock.

I guess what I'm saying is that e-bodies are not cheap. If you're looking in the $5k range, an A-body would be a much better choice. If you really want an e-body to drive right now, you're going to have to spend more money.

I'd do it. If all planets aligned that is,............funds, permission, ability,etc.etc.etc. It deserves that much. Nice find, Challengers were always my favorite body style, after my dart that is.

It doesn't look too bad. At least the seller doesn't appear to be hiding a bunch of flaws under a $200 paint job. Something that's hard to tell from the picture is whether that protrusion under the car is a bend in the exhaust or if this car has the "carpet frame connectors".

On a wildly divergent note: what's going on with the utility poles? Does every pole with a light hanging on it lean away from the road at 15° for counterpoise?

I think it's a fantastic car, and if it was safe to do so, I would drive it just as it is! Great deal ya got there on an R/T!

George

cool challenger are you going to buy it?.......i think you should...you'll never loose you bucks with this rt .......

That seems like a real good deal to me for being a '71 Challenger R/T.

Ok bring it along on your trip to Yellowstone this summer, I'll take it... Gezzz its an R/T. Where do I send the money............................:snakeman:

Thanks for all th reply's guys if i dont win the auction on this 68 barracuda with the 440 on ebay right now i might buy it auction ends tomorrow i dont think i can go wrong with the rt

If you are really looking for just a driver and not for something to eventually restore you can do a lot better. You are paying the E Body surcharge there. Look for an A body or even a C body. I have seen beautiful Imperials, New Yorkers, and Newports for $5K or less. You can also find some nice 318 A bodies for that price. If you want to go beyond MOPARS there are other great deals out there. High mileage BMWs and Mercedes-Benzs are plentiful, nice, and reliable. I got a 1990 BMW 735i (a $60,000 car when new) for $500 and it still runs, rides, and drives like a new car. An awesome cruiser to be sure. Granted, I got a great price because I knew the owner and he was leaving the country but the car would have been a steal at $5,000 too.

-
Back