512 cu Camshaft thinking

-

dodgedifferent2

Reaction score
Planning to call camshaft companies on monday for a solid roller recommendation.

400 stroker to 512
10.5 compression
Indy ez-1 heads box stock with some minor cleanup.
Indy max wedge single plane intake
Going into 67 dart approx 3300 lbs
T56 magnum with .5 overdrive
Dana 60 and 4.10 sg
28" tire

This will be 95% street as i dont get much free time. Want a good cruiser.
I have a 340 stroker 4sp now but always wanted more low end grunt.

I was looking at comps 23-703-9
254/260 @ 50
582/588 lift.

Or trick flow 243/247 @ 50
600 lift

I realize cams are hard to find right now
Am in the the ballpark? Or what have others used?

At first I was thinking thats alot of duration for a street car but those big strokers eat up duration real well from what I hear. Since you are using indy parts, have you called them to see what they recommend?

I'm going to use the Trick Flow cam in my RB 512, but i may go with solid lifters. Cam cores are pretty much non existent right now. Call PRH [Porter Racing Heads} he'll fix you up. He's a member on here.

you are going too have a lot of bottom end too kill with that mill I personally would go with a bigger cam

The way I understand it also is that large strokers respond better to wider lobe separations. Say a 112 instead of a 106 or 108. Just more to think about.

Subscribed,
Looking at a 400/512 or a
440/520 stroker kits now

440 Source 400/512 is looking pretty good now, especially after I read reviews

The most important word: 95% street.
I think the cam you have chosen would be ideal. It is probably on a 110 LSA, which would be close to ideal. It is very easy to over-cam an engine, much harder to get it just right.......

I run Comps XR280R(242/248@.050, .570/.576) in a 10.2:1 470" street toy. Idles nicely at 900 with a decent lope. Makes plenty of low end and pulls hard through the middle.

The most important word: 95% street.
I think the cam you have chosen would be ideal. It is probably on a 110 LSA, which would be close to ideal. It is very easy to over-cam an engine, much harder to get it just right.......
The Trick Flow Cam is on a 108.

And I think it is a hyd roller, not solid. And LSA for a 440, not a stroker....

What i have found at this moment in time.
Comp recommended
Custom
232/236@ .5 duration
560 lift
113 lobe.
Would not give a guess on timeframe.

Lunati reccomendation
Voodoo cam
255/263 @ .50 duration
.610 lift
Spread to a 112 lobe
Lead time likely first of the new year.

Any other cam companies i should check?

I’d recommend a custom cam specific to the combo. I run a solid flat tappet in my 10.5:1 Indy headed 512. PRH helped with the cam as he knows the lobe family’s much better than I do. He uses comp cams. 260/266 on 110. .630 lift. One thing I will tell you is people will recomend dual planes, small carbs, cams, and all kinds of other BS. I’ve ran the **** out of my 4000# roadrunner for several years now. I’ve had several different carbs and intakes on it. Even run it with a six pack sometimes (still goes goes high 10’s with that). I recently put an Indy M/W single plane on it with a 1200cfm (1.720 X 2”) BLP dominator I built. Car is an absolute animal with this set up. Butt dyno says it’s faster than ever. Moral of to the story is these big engines can handle way more than what people think. Gotta get out of the stock stroke parts combo mind set. Give it some camshaft! Bullet is also a good cam company, I just ordered a solid roller for my buddies 500ci 270 headed street dart. 265/270 on 108, .688 lift. They had the core in stock.

Last edited:
TRy reading what the OP wants, not what you want. He doesn't want an animal. Any moron can fit huge carbs & huge cams & turn the car into an animal.
OP wants a good cruiser & 95% street use.
That requires a careful choice of complimentary parts.

TRy reading what the OP wants, not what you want. He doesn't want an animal. Any moron can fit huge carbs & huge cams & turn the car into an animal.
OP wants a good cruiser & 95% street use.
That requires a careful choice of complimentary parts.
Re-read my post genius. I recommended getting a custom cam that fits the combo. I know how to build a street car. My roadrunner is a street car. I drive it to work even. The point is people build strokers and treat them like 383’s. He’s building a 512 Indy headed engine, give me a break.

Last edited:
Right or wrong here is what I ended up with in my 512.

20220130_143825_copy_1024x993.jpg

68 Hemi.
I did read your post...carefully. And I didn't see a genius at work...

68 Hemi.
You said: 'Give it some camshaft!' And then give an example of 265/270 @ 050, 108 LSA.

I’d do something high 250’s low 260’s @ .050 on a 110. Get it up over .600 lift (.630-.650 range) to turn the heads on. Something tight lash with a street lobe. It’s got a 4.10 gear. Work fine long as he saves the overdrive for e-way use. It’s gonna have an Indy single plane and M/W heads anyway so it’s not like it an off idle engine. And I’d probably top it with a 1050/4150 annular carb. A 1.56 Venturi 850 would also work well.

Last edited:
I’d do something high 250’s low 260’s @ .050 on a 110. Get it up over .600 lift (.630-.650 range) to turn the heads on. Something tight lash with a street lobe. It’s got a 4.10 gear. Work fine long as he saves the overdrive for e-way use. It’s gonna have an Indy single plane and M/W heads anyway so it’s not like it an off idle engine. And I’d probably top it with a 1050/4150 annular carb. A 1.56 Venturi 850 would also work well.
Going either holley sniper or fitech so the wider lobe has better signal for efi

Last edited:
Going either holley sniper or fitech so the wider lobe has better signal for efi

Yep agree with that. Doing it on 112 would probably be best: that’s where the custom cam comes in. Try Dwayne and also bullet. I know comp is having core issues. Bullet seems to have cores. If you call bullet talk to chris paget.

Last edited:
-
Back