518 46re smoked

-
Rebuilt my 727 for 79 bucks it's not hard, if you pay 3gs something is wrong with you.

probably no hard part damage unless the bands are down to metal. Plenty of performance parts if you want to beef it up even more.
Where in SoCal. Ever make it over to Phoenix. Cost is relative to what parts you put in. Clutch brand and quality being one factor.

There are many definitions of "rebuild". Some cheap jobs are a gasket and seal kit, used converter and a can of spray paint(AKA) "Patch Job". Other rebuilds include bushings, washers, electrical components, rebuilt converter etc. If you're going to go the transmission shop route, look for a long established shop with long ownership and a BBB rating. Some shops are here for a long time, others only a short time while they take advantage of those not too well informed. Many cheap jobs done cash only, and if you have a warranty issue they don't even know you. Saw this type come and go many, many times in the years I worked in the industry. I used to call them the Cash and Go Transmission shops.
For parts alone, for a complete rebuild, the bill, depending on the transmission model, could run anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars to damn near $2K. Add the labor and warranty and go from there. The members that have worked in the industry know what I'm saying.

I thought stock valve body 727's did not engage the rear band in low. I know that some aftermarket valve bodies/shift kits do not engage the rear band in low gear. I know that this something you HAVE to make sure your transmission has or you can detonate the sprag if you don't drive it right. Burnouts being the main thing.
Torqueflite's apply the low/reverse band when you pull the shifter down in manual low. They just don't apply the band in drive.

Yeah I hurt it bad...lol

20170714_204709.jpg

Almost 1300 in parts alone. Every update done, new cooler, new HD convertor, and a couple tweeks for holding power.

Too late for the OP, but for others that see this, the "service manual thread" I found a Russian?? site where you can download the ATSG transmission manuals "free". Put the site into Google translate and have fun

Free service manuals

My advice...Remove the anti drain back fitting if you haven't, and it's a very good idea...to pull the lines both off and blown through the cooler to make damn sure it's clear and flows without obstruction.
Mine starved, valve blocked, cooler clogged.
I'm the 3rd owner , that i know of, of this truck.

-
Back