520ci roller cam issue.

-

kevnsue

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got done putting a 520 in my Dart. Here is a little info on build.
520ci with 13.1 compression
Indy Dash one heads and intake
1050 Dominator
The cam is a 740int 760exh solid roller
4.30 gears with 18.5x33x15" tires.
5800 converter (loose) 727 with brake.
Mild steel cage and full square tube frame.
Fiberglass hood and bumpers, the rest is steel with all glass, no plex.
I need a smaller solid Roller cam. I was thinking around 600int and 600exh
I think a smaller converter would work better to.
I am shifting at 6500 rpm and I am crossing the quarter mile at 5300 rpm
with a 1.4 to 1.5 60ft
which translated to 11.20 at 120 mph.
This car I would think should run 9's.
Some one give me an idea of where to get the cam that they would pick for this combination and stall converter size. Also if anyone has parts like a stall and a smaller solid roller and want to sell let me know that too.

Needs more rear gear.JMO With 33,s on the back,4.30 isn,t enough.I run in the 10,s with 4.30 and a 29 inch tire(as example)

Why do you feel the need for a smaller cam? What is the cams duration @ .050"? 285/295? .600" lift is about street roller size, isn't this an all out race car? Have the heads been ported? This thing should wind tighter and maximum torque should be above 5300 rpm.

Going through at an rpm lower than the stall? Something isn't right.

It's not making any power or that converter is whacked out. The slip is ~1%

I'd look over the fuel system, ignition (system and timing), converter, lash, every system in the car.

It runs based on mph as though it has 470-500hp which is WAY off base.

Going through at an rpm lower than the stall? Something isn't right.

It's not making any power or that converter is whacked out. The slip is ~1%

I'd look over the fuel system, ignition (system and timing), converter, lash, every system in the car.

It runs based on mph as though it has 470-500hp which is WAY off base.

This be the fellow to listen to right here. I do agree with Scott about the gears...last drag car I was involved with had 14wx32's and 4:88's I believe. And he crossed the stripe way higher than what you mentioned.

Hey everyone, I just got done putting a 520 in my Dart. Here is a little info on build.
520ci with 13.1 compression
Indy Dash one heads and intake
1050 Dominator
The cam is a 740int 760exh solid roller
4.30 gears with 18.5x33x15" tires.
5800 converter (loose) 727 with brake.
Mild steel cage and full square tube frame.
Fiberglass hood and bumpers, the rest is steel with all glass, no plex.
I need a smaller solid Roller cam. I was thinking around 600int and 600exh
I think a smaller converter would work better to.
I am shifting at 6500 rpm and I am crossing the quarter mile at 5300 rpm
with a 1.4 to 1.5 60ft
which translated to 11.20 at 120 mph.
This car I would think should run 9's.
Some one give me an idea of where to get the cam that they would pick for this combination and stall converter size. Also if anyone has parts like a stall and a smaller solid roller and want to sell let me know that too.

Ok, I'm waiting for the punchline.....this has to be a joke....how do you have a 5800 converter and cross the strip at 5300???

Do you have a time slip? The incrementals would really help to see what is going on. If this isn't a joke, the rest of your combo (520ci, Indy heads, 13:1 comp, .740 roller, tube chassis car, etc) says EASY 9's...11's would only be possible with 2 plug wires off with a 400lbs driver on a hot day in Denver.

you ever put all the parts together really messed something up bad. outside of the carb being way too small all the parts are good to go, with the exception at the getgo it's a dog with a 1.40 60ft. start by replacing the convertor.

my 493 w/14 to 1 and a 700 lift roller and a 4500 stall went 10.6 at 128 with me peddling it the first 1/3rd of the track. I'm with the other guys something is off with the convertor.

Are you leaving on the brake? Was the engine dyno'd prior to installation?

-
Back