528 Hemi on pump swill

-

IQ52

Reaction score
While it is fun playing with the new dyno, we have to drop the Hemi research for a while and get some other work done that people are waiting on (sorry for the delay gentlemen). So a quick note on the Hemi. We have discovered some oil return problems (among other things), made only a few pulls and had to restrict the testing RPM. But for now, on 91 octane from the Stinker Station:

4000 rpm..............608 TQ.............463 HP
4200 rpm..............625 TQ.............500 HP
4500 rpm..............647 TQ.............554 HP
4700 rpm..............658 TQ.............589 HP
5000 rpm..............661 TQ.............629 HP
5200 rpm..............664 TQ.............658 HP
5500 rpm..............657 TQ.............688 HP
5700 rpm..............667 TQ.............724 HP
6000 rpm..............648 TQ.............741 HP
6100 rpm..............646 TQ.............751 HP
6200 rpm........oil pressure? We don't need no stinking oil pressure!

AVG 605 TQ and 497 HP from 3000-5500.

That is awesome! Whats up with the oil? That is serious if the return is so bad you lose pressure.....

ah, the rb motor with the fat head.
the heads are so fat they trap oil in them, just one of thier many problems. if you only run 6 or 7 qts you will get in trouble real fast. you might look into over filling them by 3 to 4 qts. even with a large cap pan you still need to over fill. the more volume the oil pump the more oil you need because of the fat heads. of coarse you can install big external drain lines and it will help some.

That is awesome! Whats up with the oil? That is serious if the return is so bad you lose pressure.....

It's the most recent of a long list of problems I've had with this aluminum hemi block and heads. When the engine came to me, having been previously assembled in Pennsylvania, one of the first things I noticed was the rocker shafts were installed upside down and the exhaust push rods were bowed around the block to get to the adjustable rockers.

Yes that is correct, the pushrods rubbed so severely against the block, you couldn't do the valve lash unless you bowed the pushrods over to the rockers. Then of course you still couldn't do the valve lash with that pressure against the side of the rocker adjusting screw.

It was originally assembled with all parts from the same supplier. I called them and they said, "Oh, we've never had that problem with our stuff."

"Yeah, well it's your block, heads and rocker arms, with Comp Cams lifters and camshaft supplied by you."

"Nope, we just don't have that problem."

"Okay, thanks for the help."

As time permits, we'll fix this oil drain back problem and finish the tests, without their help I'm sure.

Because they just don't have problems with their equipment.

All you need is your big toe on the gas.

I also have had issues with the guy who answers their phone - Josh. Arrogant, sh*t don't stink kinda attitude. Hopefully the MP mega block they sold me isn't messed up - somehow talked them outta the next to the last one in existance and had to pay them to bore it to 4.500. We'll see, supposed to be here now.

From the Ray Barton camp it was built?

Lots of power over a wide RPM band, not a big drop after peak power(or torque) like some engines are.

Fat power curve vs narrow power band

It's the most recent of a long list of problems I've had with this aluminum hemi block and heads. When the engine came to me, having been previously assembled in Pennsylvania, one of the first things I noticed was the rocker shafts were installed upside down and the exhaust push rods were bowed around the block to get to the adjustable rockers.

Yes that is correct, the pushrods rubbed so severely against the block, you couldn't do the valve lash unless you bowed the pushrods over to the rockers. Then of course you still couldn't do the valve lash with that pressure against the side of the rocker adjusting screw.

It was originally assembled with all parts from the same supplier. I called them and they said, "Oh, we've never had that problem with our stuff."

"Yeah, well it's your block, heads and rocker arms, with Comp Cams lifters and camshaft supplied by you."

"Nope, we just don't have that problem."

"Okay, thanks for the help."

As time permits, we'll fix this oil drain back problem and finish the tests, without their help I'm sure.

Because they just don't have problems with their equipment.

Offset exhaust lifters gonna be enough? I cant stand it when you get an answer like "what are you talking about? we've never had that problem before" basically once it leaves the building their job is done or something...

I have a set of new Comp roller lifters that are offset. PM if you need them. From the same source...

I have a set of new Comp roller lifters that are offset. PM if you need them. From the same source...

Naw, but thanks, pushrod problem was solve a long time ago, without offset lifters.

Gota love the nightmare customers. I have a guy that dropped off a bunch of stuff that "ready to bolt on". Heads have bent valves, broken locks, wrong springs and sloppy retainers. Crank is bent, piston pins are galled on the pistons and rods.

"Ran fine, just needs a freshen up."

Ok, whatever you say there guy. Kinda hard to make compression when the valves dont close LOL

Gota love the nightmare customers. I have a guy that dropped off a bunch of stuff that "ready to bolt on". Heads have bent valves, broken locks, wrong springs and sloppy retainers. Crank is bent, piston pins are galled on the pistons and rods.

"Ran fine, just needs a freshen up."

Ok, whatever you say there guy. Kinda hard to make compression when the valves dont close LOL

Dad would joke when he got those rebuilds, he'd say, "Jimmy, no matter HOW this engine runs when we're finished, this is gonna make us look GOOOOD."

-
Back