55 Royal Lancer / Super Red Ram Hemi

-

d55dave

Reaction score
I thought that I would share the story and some pics of our 55 Royal Lancer with you all, not an A body but still a neat car. Here goes;

I was always brought up on old cars - fixing them, going to car shows, and one of the favorite pastimes of my brothers, dad and I was to tour through wrecking yards. In 1986 I was 17 and had my first car - 69 Barracuda. That summer we were on holidays in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia and we went for a walk through a wrecking yard in Oliver that had a bunch of vintage cars. After spending an hour or so walking around I spotted an old Dodge sitting in the back corner of the yard beside a house. We had a look at it, it was a 2 door hardtop, green and creme, nice colors, the engine was in it but the top end was not there and there were puddles of water and severe corrosion in the cylinders. Some of the trim was missing and someone had sanded the paint on the front end so it was covered in surface oxidation. The Okanagan valley is very dry - almost desert, so there was very little other deterioration and no rot.

On our way out we asked the proprietor of the yard about the car, it turns out that it was his car, all the trim and engine parts were in the trunk, and he said - oh yeah, its a hemi....you can imagine the excitement that this brought to a 17 year old. When asked if it was for sale he said that it was. By this point (before I knew it was a hemi) I had told dad that we should buy it and go halves. We settled on a purchase price of $1000, and hauled it to Penticton to a piece of property that my parents had just bought to build their retirement home.

It turns out that the car was sold new in Penticton, and in 1968 the owner the wrecking yard bought it, drove it for a few months and when it developed a rod knock he pulled the top end off with the intention of fixing it in the car, and pulled off some of the trim as he wanted to paint it. Then it sat, forgotten for almost 20 years and remarkably well preserved. When we bought it the car still wore its 1968 licence plates.

That fall we returned home and left the car in storage under a tarp. we had by then determined that the engine block was scrap (in retrospect we could have sleeved it, we still have the original block) and the search was on for a replacement engine core.

Attachments

• _20140603_143438.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 268
We ended up locating another engine core in Saskatchewan and made the treck out there that fall to pick it up, and have it sent to a machine shop in Penticton.

OK, I am back.

The engine is the 270 Super Red Ram Hemi. The Dodge line first had a Hemi in 53 or 54, it was 241 and called the Red Ram, then in 55 its displacement was upped to 270 and it was called Super Red Ram. The way I understand it 55 was the last year for a first gen Hemi in a Dodge, except for perhaps a D500 optioned car, but I could be wrong on that.

The engine was rebuilt to stock specs over the course of a year, and in the summer of 88 we installed it. By this time I was attending college in Vancouver and would make weekend trips to Penticton to hang out in the sun and work on the car. I tried to help out with the costs as much as I could.

The transmission is the 2 speed powerflite automatic and the rear resembles an 8 3/4, but I think there are some differences. It has a 3.55 ratio. The car had, when we bought it, just turned over 100,000 miles. The drive train, other than the engine, is 100% original and has, to this day, never been opened up and works great.

Attachments

• rsz_img_20140603_141227.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 246
Nope. In fact we had enough left over parts (we now had 2 sets of heads and intakes) that we have since put together another 270 hemi based on a 270 poly head engine as they share the same block and crank. Dad since bought another 55 - but not a royal lancer (also called by some a custom royal), it is a two door hardtop base model and he plans to one day put the second hemi in it.

The interior was in remarkable original condition when we bought it but the years sitting in the sun and heat had deteriorated the stitching and fabric on the seats, so they quickly became threadbare. They were recovered about 15 years ago, but the rest of the interior including door panels, headliner and dash are all original.

Attachments

• IMG_20140603_141647.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 227
All the trim is original, with the exception of the rear bumper, which was re chromed as it had all turned whiteish from exhaust. There is some pitting, but most of the trim is in great shape, including the original dealer badge.

Attachments

• IMG_20140603_141609.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20140603_141617.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 231
As you can probably tell this car holds a fond place in my heart. My beautiful wife and I were married in it (well, not literally, LOL, but it was our wedding car), we celebrate 20 years this month! Both of our children rode to their christenings in the car and I drove it to my college graduation. It has sat dormant for the last bunch of years as life was busy and dad had other projects (that's fodder for another story...) but she recently awoke from her slumber with a splash of gas down the carb and a charged battery and runs great. We brought her out of storage, as our daughter graduates this month (it is a big month for our family, our son also turns 16!) and she wanted to ride to her graduation in it with her date. Brings tears to my eyes.

One thing that we need for the car is the plastic interior light covers if anyone has spares.... the only other thing that was AWOL when we bought it was the original distributor, but I now have a core for it. It currently has an old Mallory aluminum dual point in it that seems to work quite well.

A few years back dad had the car at a show and the original owner walked up and introduced himself, he even came back with some pictures of the car when he owned it.

In my searching the internet for similar cars, I have never seen another one in the blue green / creme color combination, and personally I think it is one of the prettiest 55 Dodges that I have seen. Mileage to date is just over 100,000, but now that it is on the road again perhaps we will roll up some more.

I have bought, built and sold many A bodies over the last 30 years, but have no intention of parting with this car!

Hope you enjoyed my story.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I forgot to add that there was no major body work done, we just removed the rest of the trim, prepped it well and had it painted, that was shortly after the engine went in, more than 25 years ago, and it still looks great.

Really nice. Thanks for sharin.

Thats a gorgeous car! WOW, and I agree, I bet that does get a bunch of attention at shows......

Thanks for sharing the story and pics. I love that color combo, really sharp. I am a big fan of that year mopars. I had a 55 Plymouth that I put a 241 dodge hemi into. It was a sweet running car but no powerhouse. Yours brings back good memories.

-
Back