59* R3 Help

-

J69/65

Reaction score
Hello I need some info about building a 59* R3 if someone who has experience with these could tech out I’d appreciate it thanks

The 59 deg is a direct replacement for stock blocks although.
there are a few changes that are helpful for Drag Racing.

PM me with you questions if you like = I have been racing Mopars
for 60+ years.

Some take a special had to find timing cover. They take some work also
for Oil Return to keep the Oil where you want it. I am happy to help with any
specific questions.
the whole point of this board is so the rest of us can learn stuff too...........................

the whole point of this board is so the rest of us can learn stuff too...........................
These R3 Blocks are so rare and expensive that not one out of 1,000 guys on this
forum would ever acquire one or have any use for this information and all it would do
is waste space on the forum and your time.

But I appreciate your feedback/Opinion and I have withdrawn my post and offer on this topic.

I have offered my assistance and experience on this forum 100's of times in open posts when I thought
it possibly may be useful to a number of forum guys.

If it is specific to only one person = I usually contract them through PM or advise them to contact
me through that venue.

My health and age mean that I will unfortunately not be able to be on this forum to share my experience
a whole lot longer anyway so it is probably a mute point!

Last edited:
What do you want to know?

There are a lot of different R-Blocks available......you already have one? Check if its possible to put an oil filter on, check if it´s possible to put motor mounts on. Deck heights vary, Cam tunnels vary. There are siamesed and non-siamesed blocks around, max. bore size depends on that. As far as i know there are also 2-bolt and 4-bolt versions and different main sizes around. Good Luck with your build.

Michael

What's going on?
At every turn... more drama?
Del ? John ?
Are we hoarding, waiting for a red carpet..or just feelin bitter and cranky this week.lol

Share if you care...and while we're at it, be nice when we ask.

Like said which block there are possibly dozens of different 59 degree blocks . the one i run is a r3 version of a stock 360 block 2 bolt main non Siamese Stock cam and its heavy .

I always assumed the "59 or whatever degree" referred to the lifter bores. However, since I'm one of the poor broke *** souls who will never "acquire one or have any use for this information" Then I guess that's a moot point, too.

Mine is a 59 degree R3 Resto block. 340 casting number and is a replacement for the 340 race block for a factory engine replacement. It had the 16 head bolts milled off at the manufacturer, Special heavy duty lifter valley, Oil filter capable, Motor mount ears, 4 bolt mains. The block is as heavy bare as a complete 340 short block. Very high nickle content

I got it at off of Ray Barton racing around 2006 it was new. I traded a 68 340 4spd Barracuda for it minus engine and trans. At that time they were selling for around $5000. What I can tell you all it has seen some extreme RPM's for many years and no issues.

Great block , If your building a radical engine and you ever have a chance to get one. Don't pass it up. We have been looking for another one. There are several frankenstein's out there that come up. But never true factory spec 59 R3's. So beware of what you buy unless you want something that would take to much modification to use. In 10 years I think I have seen 2 good friendly to use 59 degree blocks with factory blue printed castings and machining for sale.

If you can buy a Factory version mopar race block and its in good condition Buy it. Most out there today are useless due to special parts needed which are not available. Having an engine machine shop is a plus, We can make things work at low cost.

Some of the mopar race blocks were useless when made but are being sold to those who don't have a clue what they are looking at.

There are companies selling race blocks today. Not mentioning names. My son has info on some and they are total disasters to build. $$$$$

I personally like the X block for normal race engine builds. High nickle and they will hold their own in strength. The BB pictured is a 440 mega block. We will consider buying mopar race blocks if they are factory spec blocks and are in good condition

DSCN0087.JPG

DSCN0088 (2).JPG

DSCN1825.JPG

DSCN1822.JPG

block7 (2).JPG

block11 (2).JPG

block12 (2).JPG

block5.JPG

Last edited:
What's going on?
Del ? John ?
Are we hoarding, waiting for a red carpet..or just feelin bitter and cranky this week.lol

No drama. Statement of fact. It takes no more time and effort to type an answer in the "conversation" box than it does right here on a thread. You know, Like Steve just did. GTX John might be right. I may NOT be able to afford one. But that doesn't mean I'm not interested, or that there might be aspects that are applicable to other blocks. I'm interested in a LOT of stuff I'll never afford. Gun targeting systems on the B-29. The history of Blackbirds. Airplanes, that is. Why so many newer ships are meeting their fates in 3rd world junkyard beaches. And of course the BIG question---why Chrysler never put more 340s in cars, and why they waited so long to put performance small blocks in B bodies.

And above all else, why wasn't the executive who came up with the name Stellantis fired immediately

Thanks for the response. I already have p4532909 with 360-1 heads. I was wondering oiling issues do I have to bush the lifter bores? Pushrod oiling? I bought this many years ago. I kinda put it aside to play with v drive boats thanks agin for all the Info.

Thanks for the response. I already have p4532909 with 360-1 heads. I was wondering oiling issues do I have to bush the lifter bores? Pushrod oiling? I bought this many years ago. I kinda put it aside to play with v drive boats thanks agin for all the Info.

Hello I need some info about building a 59* R3 if someone who has experience with these could tech out I’d appreciate it thanks

Mine was together for five years running a best of 5.98 with a solid lifter cam. I’m so happy to finally own one and it will be going together with more horsepower hopefully next time.

343C3C0A-2F1E-48E0-B4C0-FF069EB67A32.jpeg

305986E3-FB01-4451-AB53-6C04A0FAEA07.jpeg

6146907F-99FC-4985-B2FE-17C038814DB4.jpeg

0E8BE742-28A6-4117-8E19-F875DF0583B7.jpeg

9944AE24-68B0-4985-A394-04A54E109A1C.jpeg

My advice would be to talk to Brett Miller or Brian Hafliger and pick their brains. There was a sticky here at one time covering oiling mods.

No drama. Statement of fact. It takes no more time and effort to type an answer in the "conversation" box than it does right here on a thread. You know, Like Steve just did. GTX John might be right. I may NOT be able to afford one. But that doesn't mean I'm not interested, or that there might be aspects that are applicable to other blocks. I'm interested in a LOT of stuff I'll never afford. Gun targeting systems on the B-29. The history of Blackbirds. Airplanes, that is. Why so many newer ships are meeting their fates in 3rd world junkyard beaches. And of course the BIG question---why Chrysler never put more 340s in cars, and why they waited so long to put performance small blocks in B bodies.

And above all else, why wasn't the executive who came up with the name Stellantis fired immediately

Likewise. Any of us might know something others can benefit from.. and any one of us may croak at anytime. Like you, i'm all about sharing it.
I just had to ask because I havent seen John so reserved and thought..why .

Mine was together for five years running a best of 5.98 with a solid lifter cam. I’m so happy to finally own one and it will be going together with more horsepower hopefully next time.

View attachment 1716043800

View attachment 1716043801

View attachment 1716043802

View attachment 1716043803

View attachment 1716043804
Nice a true 59 R3 race block with the 16 bosses in place . Tell your wife we're first in line . Or if you start drinking and decide to sell it before that at about 2 am. I'll PM you my number. The urgent Red Bat phone direct to commissioner Steve. LOL

My son can keyway that for a roller cam. Do you use all 18 studs per head?

Nice a true 59 R3 race block with the 16 bosses in place . Tell your wife we're first in line . Or if you start drinking and decide to sell it before that at about 2 am. I'll PM you my number. The Red Bat phone direct to commissioner Steve. LOL

No wife in the picture here but a 34 year old with I’m guessing his name on it. He actually has one that he’s going to jump on when he gets his finances in order.

John's block looks like a earlier version, the reason I say that would be the r3 cast on the left side of the block and the extra head bolt holes. Oldmanmopars also has the lifter valley closed In, the newer 59 degree resto blocks had an open valley more like a stock block and did not have the r3 cast on the left front, those changes seemed to happen around the time they quit painting the blocks orange.

I seemed to remember a different machining facility not wanting to mess with painting the blocks when a changeover happened

What's going on?
Del ? John ?

What's going on?
Del ? John ?

Share if you care...and while we're at it, be nice when we ask.omc;ieratio

Bitter and Cranky?
Probably a little bit although not deliberately------------ after a 1/2 Dozen Cancer Surgeries including
a 12 Hour Kidney Cancer Surgery at USC where I died 3 times during
the operation. Not to mention the realization that I am out of
time to Fulfill my Dreams.

Hoarding?
Hardly ------------- I am extremely grateful to everyone that has bought anything from
me! It is going to be very Difficult for my boy to sort through it after I am gone
as I have raised him from birth by myself and we are extremely close to each other.

Waiting for a Red Carpet?
Hardly------------- I have answered 100's of questions on these forums for everyone who
inquires of me. Often in Bed unable to even get up. I have spent literally Millions in the
last 60 years racing Mopars primarily self-taught. I share nearly everything I know except for
a very few unique things that we do with our Superstock/Stocker to stay competitive.

The unique obscure details on some of the R Block quirks I really did not think would be
of any significance interest to enough people (I have no secrets on preparing them) = Like I stated above
in my posting to take up 1/2 page of the open forum. If anyone was slighted = It certainly was not my intention or implication, nor did I ever intend to offend or demeaner anyone in any possible way!

Again, my apologizes if I offended anyone in any way = Really not my intention at all!

Again not a 59 degree block but one I probably shouldn’t have sold but I needed the money and didn’t have the money it was going to require. Quick profit. Lol

0856C571-02F3-4D2D-8BDF-706D401EB386.jpeg

Not a 59 block R3 48 degree ,9.6 deck , Victor heads, 426 Cube, Molnar Crank , 2" Babbit bearing cam ,Crane Ultra pro solid lifters ,Hughes Rockers , Compstar rods ,4 bolt , Smith push rods, had to have a camshaft made from a blank, remote oil cooler put a couple of thousand miles on it now with no issues. Had to mill a heap out of the pushrod tunnel for clearance

R33.jpg

MOPAR (2).jpg

Just how many angular differences are there, anyone know?

Just how many angular differences are there, anyone know?

If you mean lifter bank angles there were only two. I’ve heard there was a third but I’ve never seen it, nor has anyone I know of.

59 degrees, which is the LBA of all small blocks and the Poly IIRC.

48 degrees, which corrected that stupid 59 degree LBA.

Then there are at least two (I’m pretty sure some of those blocks could be had with SBF mains and maybe one other) main sizes, 340 and 360.

Then there are at least two different deck heights.

And…you could get at least two different cam tunnel diameters.

And…there are siamesed and none siamesed bores.

You could pretty much get a combination of any of those above things.

Now that I’m typing this out I was told you could get these blocks with unfinished main and cam tunnels. And in reality you could probably get them with no lifter bores or head bolt holes too.

That way the builder could use whatever main size and cam tunnel he wanted.

And if you were sporty enough you could buy head castings without head bolt holes so you could move the head bolts where you wanted them, within reason.

Of course, you then would need to buy custom head gaskets but if you are buying blocks and heads sans bolt holes a custom gasket is the least of your issues.

-
Back